Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be transferring to Washington University in St. Louis this coming august and was just wondering about biking in St. Louis. Is it a bike friendly city? Lots of bike lanes? Is it easy to get out of the city for some country rides? I am currently at Willamette University in Salem Oregon and can get out of the city and into the countryside in 10 minutes of riding and I hope it will be like that in St. Louis. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

bilydu

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have lived in STL all my life. Been riding more serious over the last 4 years. I ride with different groups of people, some organized and others that we have put together over the years. Probably the two biggest organized groups are Fun Club and Hostelling. Hostelling puts a lot of mixed distance rides together with 5 or 6 centuries per year. Here are the links, good luck and enjoy STL. As Duster said, Illinois has some good rides, mostly very flat rides. Missouri will have more hills.

http://www.trailnet.org/

http://moonlightramble.com/Activities.htm

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I've spent the last four years at the Washington University in Saint Louis and have found the biking around Saint Louis to be overall very safe and enjoyable. There aren't necessarily bike lanes for most roads, but you can easily ride on the outer lanes of most roads and be very safe. My friends and I go on a regular basis and have never had any problems. You can definitely get out of the city for some country rides as well, but it will take you a little longer than 10 minutes.

Hope that helps,
Anu

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MedBiker said:
Hi. I've spent the last four years at the Washington University in Saint Louis and have found the biking around Saint Louis to be overall very safe and enjoyable. There aren't necessarily bike lanes for most roads, but you can easily ride on the outer lanes of most roads and be very safe. My friends and I go on a regular basis and have never had any problems. You can definitely get out of the city for some country rides as well, but it will take you a little longer than 10 minutes.

Hope that helps,
Anu
Thanks for the response! It sounds like riding in st louis is pretty good. Does WashU have a cycling club of any sort that you know of?

Thanks again,
Bilydu

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know that the medical school doesn't have a cycling club but I'm not sure about the undergraduate campus. There are plenty of people around who are interested in cycling in the area though so it shouldn't be a problem finding some fellow bikers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
more about St. Louis

I moved to St Louis about 9 years ago from Wyoming. Echoing the other comments, there are some nice rides around--the riverfront trail to alton across the chain of rocks bridge is cool, for example, and add that Forest Park is a decent venue for a quick ride, especially since it's so close to Wash U.

I did see a team from the medical school at the MS 150 this year, so there must be some organized presence for cycling there, as well.

The only bad thing about cycling in St. Louis is really the only bad thing about St. Louis. It gets hot here in the summer months and the humidity can be killer. You'll miss most of it by not coming until August, though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
stbiking.com
above sight will help. Also buy a map of southern Ill, and west county St. Louis. I think the best riding by far is in West county, Wildwood near Babler State Park and Rockwood Reservation. Very hilly.
LOU

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Lou1187 said:
I think the best riding by far is in West county, Wildwood near Babler State Park and Rockwood Reservation. Very hilly.
LOU
I live in west county and find the riding to be wonderful in this area. Lots of rural type roads with low trafffic and drivers that are generally very courteous. Getting here from the Wash U area is 25-ish miles or a 30 minute drive. It is hilly but few are more than 1/3 mi long.

The nice thing about St. Louis is that you've got decent places to ride near the "urban areas", flat rides in Illinois, hilly rides in west county and a reasonably active biking community. The worst part can be the weather - sweltering summers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wildwood

bilydu said:
I will be transferring to Washington University in St. Louis this coming august and was just wondering about biking in St. Louis. Is it a bike friendly city? Lots of bike lanes? Is it easy to get out of the city for some country rides? I am currently at Willamette University in Salem Oregon and can get out of the city and into the countryside in 10 minutes of riding and I hope it will be like that in St. Louis. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

bilydu
When I am in St. Louis on business, I always book a hotel near Six Flags. The riding along Wildwood is really good with bike lanes, several challenging climbs, scenic back roads behind Six Flags. I have ridden from WildWood to the Arch, but didn't enjoy some of the busier roads I had to use to get to downtown.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts