Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is going to sound dumb, but I know one day I am going to crash so is there a way of falling that will minimize injury? To myself not the bike ... I can always have the bike fixed.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
The best way to crash is to fall into a bin full of goose feathers. Or foam rubber.

Other than that, the best way to crash, assuming you aren't thrown from the bike, is to ride the bike down. Hold on, and don't put your arm out to break a fall, because that is almost a guaranteed broken collarbone. For a great example, find footage of Stefan Schumacher crashing at the end of Stage 6. Even as he is going down, he never lets go of the bars. Here's a photo of the result:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...08/tour08/tour086/bettiniphoto_0028819_1_full

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you go over the handlebars do not under any circumstances put your arms out to break your fall, its a broken arm, wrist, or collarbone like MC said. Pull your arms in and land on your shoulder or side. Try not to land on your head either.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow!! I thought that was a pretty dumb question, but you guys have good advice even for falling; knew I wasn't the only one who thought of it ahead of time. lol ... thanks.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Everyone's right, but if you go over the handlebars you need to tuck your head in and try to land on your back. A face plant will also give you a broken collar bone, or a head injury.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Practice Practice Practice

The only way to follow all of the wonderful advise I've seen so far is to practice crashing repeatedly. 15-20 times a day for a month ought to assure, assuming that you survive, that you will crash correctly. And if you don't survive, well, you won't have to worry about crashing any more.

You were right in your original post - this is an incredibly stupid question. A crash occurs in less than 1 second. Do you really think that you're going to have time to worry about the right position?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
This is not a stupid post. Fall down when you can (not UP and over the bars). Don't put your arms out, keep your hands in--- and this is something you can control.

Dumbod said:
The only way to follow all of the wonderful advise I've seen so far is to practice crashing repeatedly. 15-20 times a day for a month ought to assure, assuming that you survive, that you will crash correctly. And if you don't survive, well, you won't have to worry about crashing any more.

You were right in your original post - this is an incredibly stupid question. A crash occurs in less than 1 second. Do you really think that you're going to have time to worry about the right position?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
last time I went down, I hung on to the bars (mostly because it happened SO fast I didn't have a chance to do anything at all...ice was involved)

I landed on my left shoulder and elbow and drove the elbow into the ribs...cracked a couple....as miserable as cracked ribs are, I think a busted "wishbone" would have been worse.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I just crashed Saturday and for the life of me, I cannot remember the distinct stages
of the accident, second by second. I am aware I must have unclipped (obviously) and rolled
from my rear shoulder onto my thigh. Today I have bruised ribs, a deep thigh bruise,
and a stiff back, but all in all, I can ride tonight. I would like to credit my impeccable
cycling instincts, but it's more likely just dumn luck. Lucky at crashing, unlucky at women.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I agree totally about falling with the bike. This is the way that the bicycle police officers are trained and they practice it repeatedly. I have fallen three times in 25 years, the last two this year within a week of each other. I had just read the article about the police force and the first time I held on and had minor scrapes, mostly because of the gravel. The second time I had jeans on and was no more hurt than if I had done a somersault. I am sold.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Practice falling. Find a patch of nice lawn, ride a SS cross bike, and fall at 10 MPH. You'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dumbod said:

Hey Dumbod,

It may not be so stupid; lots of people have given good advice. I am a new to this sport so IF I get a hint of information here that keeps me from breaking an arm, collar bone, or other then I consider the question worth while as it will have saved me much pain, injury, and money for more bike stuff.

If you don't like the question then just don't answer; simple.

Thick skin makes a good Marines, but crashing on pavement isn't something I want to practice as you have stated in your post. Although, grass crash practice sounds practical.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Take a martial arts class like Judo, Jiujitsu or Aikido. One of the first things you will learn is how to take a fall safely. Even if you don't pursue the training long term, the reflex will stick. The key is not to have strategy, but to have instinct. There are a lot of things you can do to minimize injury, but in a fall there is rarely time to think about them.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
cq20 said:
Always fall to the left rather than the right. It's less expensive :D (derailleurs).
adding....I make my living with my hands.....and since I am right handed.....breaking my left arm, collar-bone....wrist...etc. is better...if you want to consider breaking anything...better

bike heals faster than old bones......one requires money...the other time and pain....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
adding....I make my living with my hands.....and since I am right handed.....breaking my left arm, collar-bone....wrist...etc. is better...if you want to consider breaking anything...better

bike heals faster than old bones......one requires money...the other time and pain....
Me too but I'm mean and prefer time and pain to spending money. :D

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I've crashed a couple of times. Lot's of minor spills, two major. Slow speed crashes are more like falling incidents, and can cause more injuries. Crashes at speed can be more sliding and bring on road rash. The normal thing to do when you go down is to put your hands out, that's one reason to wear gloves. If you fall directly on your side, then you can break a hip (done that) or pelvis. My inclination is to fall to the right, away from traffic.

Crashes can occur at any time within a split second, no matter how many years or miles you have ridden. The best thing to do is when (and it will happen) you go down, figure out what caused it, and don't let it happen again. Simple things like watching the road in front of you and avoiding debris and wearing clear or amber riding lenses when the skies are cloudy.

For me- the worst crashes came after years and years of riding. Listen to that little voice in your head, something is telling you that you should not be doing that, don't do it. If you stick your neck out too far, too often, chances are it will happen..often it is just common sense.

Another downfall is that when you are going down, you are thinking about saving your bike more than your body. One time I was knocked unconscious (my helmet saved me from serious injury) and I kept on asking about my bike, although I have no memory.

And of course-have good medical insurance.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.