Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hey I just finished (last weekend) a 12 hr ultra TT. 112 miles on the Big Loop then continue on orbiting around a shorter loop, the first three miles up a 1700' climb. I have a lot of years and plenty of miles, but at the end of this 12hrs I found myself way out on the Short loop, about 15miles down the Deschutes River from the start finish and my vehicle. A bunch of support vehicles kept passing me, taking their riders back..and they all slowed up and asked.."Hey, want a lift back?" "No, but thanks for checking" was my reply...

It was just dusk along that small and beautiful river road...no traffic, my leg cramps were gone, it was cool and the nitehawks were swooping around, there was a neat little cresent moon right above that river. After about 160 miles (two of those miles being vertical) I knew I'd lost to my main rival by 3 whole miles....but I still wanted to keep riding, to stretch out that day and enjoy some more miles...

When I start feeling older, I just remember it is all relative. I race and ride just as hard now as I did when I was 20...I just have fewer races and fewer riders in the race now a days. Yes, it hurts to watch your times up a given climb get slower, little by little...but I just HTFU and keep on riding, cause I really like it and it keeps me fit.

G

·
francois said:
One of my goals is to become a better, faster rider every year. I'm 46 now I've been improving still. I guess that's one of the advantages to starting riding late (30s).

I know some 55+ year old guys that can beat me handily up and down hills. So there is hope.

The idea is to prolong the fountain of improvement. And when that ceases, the goal can shift to enjoying every single extra mile.

fc
You're 46? Jeeez, I'm 49 and I though you were at least 10 years younger than I.

There used to be this guy who I'd see climbing Hwy 9 all the time. One day I met him at the top. He told me he was 74 and climbed Hwy 9 3-4X every day depending on how he was feeling. Back then, it was tough for me to make it even one time - he was my hero and I drew a lot of energy from just thinking about what he was doing. Haven’t seen him in a couple of years…wonder if he’s still around?

So now I'm riding as much as I have time for and have become a lot better at endurance rides. I try to find time to climb 9 almost every night after work (weather permitting) and I try to get in a long ride on the weekends. My favorite route is to climb 9 then shoot over and descend 84 to Stage and climb Tunitas. I’ll then drop back down to Woodside and do Canada (I like the scenery on the weekends there ;)> From there it’s back across Alpine to Arastradero to Page Mill to Foothill and home. This route is just over 100 miles and about 8000’ of climbing

http://www.strava.com/rides/164321.

If it’s really cold, foggy, wet over on the coast, I usually just forgo the 84-Tunitas loop and the ride ends up being ~ 72 miles.

Two years ago, I was happy just to climb 9 and not die. You just keep pushing yourself to see what you can accomplish. Every time it gets a little easier and the rush I get out of it I can’t put into words. Now granted, I’m not the fastest one out there by any means, but I get passed by less and less people every week. Funny, I’ll start the ride by telling myself that I’ll just take it at my own pace and not be influenced by anyone else…well that never happens. Whenever I see someone ahead of me my brains says “you can pass him” and it’s on. Of course, once you’ve passed you can’t allow them to pass you back so you have to keep up the pace. By the time it’s all said and done, I’ve pushed myself a lot harder than I ever intended.

I hope that some day I’m the old guy pushing my butt up the hill that everyone says “Holy-carp, how old is that guy”.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Power Play said:
Funny, I’ll start the ride by telling myself that I’ll just take it at my own pace and not be influenced by anyone else…well that never happens. Whenever I see someone ahead of me my brains says “you can pass him” and it’s on. Of course, once you’ve passed you can’t allow them to pass you back so you have to keep up the pace. By the time it’s all said and done, I’ve pushed myself a lot harder than I ever intended.

Ditto. I do this all the time. I don't use it to even attempt to claim superiority, it does work wonders to push yourself though.

·
3,494 Posts
Now I feel all inadequate with my occasional 100-120 mile rides. I don't know where you guys find the time to do such long rides (and the training required to do them).

·
Registered
482 Posts
ukbloke said:
Now I feel all inadequate with my occasional 100-120 mile rides. I don't know where you guys find the time to do such long rides (and the training required to do them).

What would be your motivation for doing longer, I mean if you had the time, would you? For now I'm just doing them to push myself. The rides the past couple of weeks haven't been fun after about 120 miles, but I do them to see where my limit is and afterwards I don't regret them. I'm coming up on about a year of riding and I don't know if I would do them repeatedly...maybe :D . Having no SO or kids makes it and easier decision I imagine.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts