Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2X pedals and I'm only getting around 6 months riding 8 hrs a week. I always use shoe covers until I hop on the bike. I use White Lighting to lube the cleats and pedals. Does anyone know if the Zero cleats get better wear than the Xs? At close to $40+shipping it gets expensive and a pain in the rear to change cleats so often.

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Describe the problem

Schneiderguy said:
I have the 2X pedals and I'm only getting around 6 months riding 8 hrs a week. I always use shoe covers until I hop on the bike. I use White Lighting to lube the cleats and pedals. Does anyone know if the Zero cleats get better wear than the Xs? At close to $40+shipping it gets expensive and a pain in the rear to change cleats so often.
Describe how your cleats are wearing out - what is failing? This seems like very short mileage to me. However, if your feet move a lot or if you're a very strong rider you might be very hard on cleats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Describe how your cleats are wearing out - what is failing? This seems like very short mileage to me. However, if your feet move a lot or if you're a very strong rider you might be very hard on cleats.

I have trouble with the spring breaking on my right shoe cleat. I am lucky to get 2,000 miles on a pair. I had one set of cleats to fail at 500 miles. The cleat has two engagement tabs, These wore down and the clip would not engage the pedal. I just put a new set on my shoes. After about 75 miles of riding, the 4 screws came out of my cleat. That was the first time in 9,000 miles that I have had an issue with the screws. Now at 9,000 miles one of my pedal bodies are worn. I don't think I will buy another set of zeros or speedplay. Cleats are expensive and there are too many parts to fail.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kerry Irons said:
Hi Kerry,

The springs wear out. They become flatten-no longer round. Also the metal plate has gruves worn into them. I have a bad right knee, damaged ACL, and the right foot has to toe in a lot. After 6-7 months the right cleat will slip out of the pedal as the spring wears flat. I can be spinning easy and it may slip out. I over use the left leg due to the weaker right one. My first set of cleats failed when the left spring broke as I stood up on a hill. But the right cleat had already started failing. I got 7-8 months out of the first set of cleats. I only got 6 out of the last set and my right cleat just started to slip. It will only happen occasionally but get progressively worse until the spring breaks or it will no longer hold the pedal. I just ordered a set of Zero pedals that I will set at 15 degree float and see if that works better for me. Part of the problem is that I will float almost to the exit point on the right cleat due to the knee problem. With some spring wear, I exit out on that side. But as I stated above, I eating up the left one also.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I'm getting a bit over 3000 miles off a set of cleats. Sounds like I'm doing better than purdue10. Sure don't like the idea of wearing out the pedals within 9000 miles!

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Schneiderguy said:

mine tend to only last a season. :(

if it makes you feel any better, it makes me feel like that's one of the few necessary replacements that should be unnecessary on my bike. (along with my chain and bar tape... :()

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have about 6000 miles split between two sets of X cleats and haven't worn them out yet... perhaps it has something to do with lube or the lack thereof on pedals, and the amount of clipping/unclipping?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Approaching 6000 miles on mine. Still peachy in operation. I confess that I irregularly lube them, but I do always have my cafe covers wif me.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
I replace mine every other year.

I guess about 5,000 miles. I ride in three to four diferent pairs of shoes.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
wow--am i just lucky?

i've had mine since 1999, and then got another set with a pair of shoes in 2003, both are working fine and i don't keep track of mileage. i have speedplays on every bike i ride (4) and then egg beaters for my winter commuting.
anyway, has to be way over 10k miles on the first ones.
other than keeping them clean i do nothing
i just bought the little speedy luber thing for the pedals but so far never even lubed the pedals--but agian i rotate bieks so likely the pedals have 1/4 to 1/5 the mileage of the cleats
i even have a pair sitting on triathlon shoes--which did years of training and 2 ironmans with no issues--if i ever do another tri i will probably be using them again
maybe it is the conditions you ride in--i spent 99-2003 in san diego, which is perfect riding--maybe other areas create more grit for th ecleats to wear out?
jim

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
jimcav said:
i've had mine since 1999, and then got another set with a pair of shoes in 2003, both are working fine and i don't keep track of mileage. i have speedplays on every bike i ride (4) and then egg beaters for my winter commuting.
anyway, has to be way over 10k miles on the first ones.
other than keeping them clean i do nothing
i just bought the little speedy luber thing for the pedals but so far never even lubed the pedals--but agian i rotate bieks so likely the pedals have 1/4 to 1/5 the mileage of the cleats
i even have a pair sitting on triathlon shoes--which did years of training and 2 ironmans with no issues--if i ever do another tri i will probably be using them again
maybe it is the conditions you ride in--i spent 99-2003 in san diego, which is perfect riding--maybe other areas create more grit for th ecleats to wear out?
jim
I'm over 5000 miles on my cleats plus some trainer miles - they're still fine.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

I ordered a pair of the Zeros and see if that works better for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hope everyone know that you can buy any parts for the speed plays.

You can buy just the springs $12.00 I think.
Bow wings are around $40.00
The bodies are around $80.00
You can even get the axles if you want..

·
Registered
324 Posts
lemond2001 said:
Hope everyone know that you can buy any parts for the speed plays.

You can buy just the springs $12.00 I think.
Bow wings are around $40.00
The bodies are around $80.00
You can even get the axles if you want..
I second that, one of my local dealers has every part there is to a Speedplay pedal. Neede bearings are only $5 each. I have two sets of older X2 pedals and retrofitted new end-caps with grease ports on them.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
about 10,000 miles on my Zero cleats, including walking around too much without cafe covers. Metal plates are scratched to hell, but still work great.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
BarryG said:
Would difficulty in engaging the cleat (X) on the pedal be a sign that they're wearing out?
It is more likely to mean that the cleats were tightened onto the curved shoe sole without the necessary wedges. It's also possible to use too much torque, forcing the cleat onto the curve. The cleat needs to be flat. Always use blue Locktight on the screw threads.

Al

·
Registered
204 Posts
Screws stripped

I've only had my Speedplay Zeros for two months, and while the actual "clip in" part of the cleat is fine, I've had some screw trouble. While adjusting the float, the head of one of the limit screws stripped out completely, making further adjustments impossible -- seems like the screws were made of some really soft metal. Fortunately, my current cleat position is quite rideable, but it's a bit disconcerting that I can't do any more dialing in. Has anyone else had problems like this, and are Speedplay responsive? (It seems to me that "adjustable" cleats should be adjustable without, well, breaking.) Love the pedals, though ... leaps and bounds above my old Shimanos.

Cheers,
Ari

1 - 20 of 30 Posts