Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically, when I patch a tube I leave it on until a patch fails. (I think that happened once) If I get a flat in a different spot I patch again and shove it back in there. I replace the tubes at the end of the season or when they are just about swiss cheese.

So do you leave them on there or do you replace the tube for a shinny new one?

· Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Until they dry rot...

I won't carry a patched tube as a spare though. At least for me, the patches are more likely to fail when it's in the under saddle bag.

I try to patch the punctured tube at home and replace it into the tire, moving the new tube back to the bag. Naturally, I don't always take the time to do this so I accumulate unpatched tubes at home.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Searching for an answer

sharkey00 said:
Typically, when I patch a tube I leave it on until a patch fails. (I think that happened once) If I get a flat in a different spot I patch again and shove it back in there. I replace the tubes at the end of the season or when they are just about swiss cheese.

You might try a search on this topic, since it comes up about once a month, for years and years and years.

Short answer? Ranges from "I patch until 2 patches overlap, the valve tears out, or the seam rips" to "Patches? How dare you suggest such a thing!"

· Registered
797 Posts
As long as they're not to clusterd, and the patch was done properly in the first place, I see no problem with running multiple patches indefinately.

· Registered
274 Posts
CoLiKe:

I'm assuming you're talking about using the inner tube after applying the patch. If you're referring to letting the glue dry overnight before applying the patch, not such a good idea.

I let the initial application of glue dry a maximum of 5 minutes before applying the patch. I press the patched area down with my thumb for about a minute. After that, maybe a few more minutes and I'm ready to remount it back into the tire and rim. I've been riding since the early 70's and never have had a patch fail.

· Fast No More.
770 Posts
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Rather than pitching tubes, our shop used to save them up and send 'em to Pedro's for their blowout bags. BITD, they'd send us a few bags as a thank-you. I don't think they accept tubes anymore, but I've found uses for old tubes around the house. Cut the valves out and use them for tie-downs. Use them to hold trash can liners in place. Make yourself some swanky S&M attire.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
sharkey00 said:

mostly when the valve stem starts leaking...

but other wise, if it is a big bulky patch - or the tires has 2-3, probably sooner like when a new tire goes on the for season.

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
CoLiKe20 said:
I can't seem to patch. there's always a leak after I patch. Do y'all leave the glue to dry overnight or do you use it right away?
Scuff the area with sandpaper (comes with the patch kit).

Apply the glue.

WAIT five minutes for the glue to dry.

Peel patch and apply, centering over the hole.

It should become the strongest part of your tube.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
2 patch failures in 30+ years, at least one my fault...

I'm in the "until they overlap" crowd. I've certainly patched hundreds of tubes in more than 30 years of adult cycling (six in a century one time), and I've had only two patch failures. One was my fault--some Slime leaked out of the hole and I didn't clean it off completely when I put on the cement. Can't remember the circumstances of the other, but I'll take the blame anyway. A patch is stronger than the tube it's applied to

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.