Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I am looking for personal experiences...

I took 2 years off nursing an injury that just wouldn't heal. I've been back riding consistently (5 days per week) for a good 4 months. After 3 months of mostly getting dropped and riding alone, I can finally hang (a little). I'm waiting to feel stro ng enough to finish with the strongest groups in my area again.

How long should it take?

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,336 Posts
More information, please.

How many miles of riding per session and your effort (near max heart rate) ?

Who's dropping you? A fast Cat A group or a bunch of old Freds on recumbents?

If you're "starting to hang" a little with a group, then it's a good thing and progess is being made :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
dw67 said:
I took 2 years off nursing an injury that just wouldn't heal. I've been back riding consistently (5 days per week) for a good 4 months. After 3 months of mostly getting dropped and riding alone, I can finally hang (a little). I'm waiting to feel stro ng enough to finish with the strongest groups in my area again.
well, me cant say how long it would take, but me do hope you could get back on your feet soon enough and come back stronger. everyone has their own stamina/strength to heal, so it's very subjective IMO. plus your determination is very important.

·
Registered
9,694 Posts
Strongest groups in the area? Not sure where you are from but the answer to how long it would take me to hang with the strongest group in my area where I live is 'never'.

It took me about 2500 miles of riding to be able to not just hang but feel like I belong with the strongest group out of the shop I ride with. It's a mix of FORMER Cat 2 guys and youngsters in great shape but without significant racing experience. Everyone is different though so my experience probably doesn't mean anything. There's guys in the B group with mega training under their belt who'll never hang with the top group and by the same token there are probably people out there who just hop on a bike for the first time in a long time and hang right away. It's kind of impossible to answer your question. Were you hanging before you got hurt or is this a new goal? Age?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
It's hard to say from the info you've given. The time it takes getting back to form depends on various factors: your age, your determination, the training program you're following, how often you're riding, how good you were before you were forced to stop, how knowledgeable you are about riding, tactics, etc. The list goes on, but I wish you speed in your quest for ummm uhhh, well...speed.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
as long as it takes, yes I too have no personal experience of this, but perhaps if wait long enough you will actually get someone who can give their personal account :p then you can take what they said and match it up with whats already been said in other words YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.