Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To get ready for a ride? Say your Buddy calls you and says let's go for a ride. How much time do you need before you're rolling out of the driveway? Takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to get my act together.

Any ideas to shorten it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I keep all my biking stuff in a large Rubbermaid container. Shoes, helmet, gloves, arm warmers, shoe covers, spare tube, chain lube, etc.

I can be out the door. In 5 mins. I throw my bibs ad jersey on. I grab my gear box and my bike and I'm gone.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'd want 10 minutes. I am pretty organized... but maybe a little hooked on the routines too. Normally I wear glasses.... but always wear contacts [and cycling glasses] when cycling. So I have to wash up and put in my contacts.

Cycling Jerseys are top-left side of the closet.
Shorts and bibs in their drawer.
Shoes under the foot of the bed.
Do-rags, cycling glasses, and baggie with the ID in the same drawer.
Water bottles in the frig.... and the same cupboard as the travel coffee mugs.
Helmet and gloves in the garage with the bicycle.
Pump to the right of the workbench [also in the garage].

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yeah, about 1/2 an hour seems right. Don't like rushing....

Contacts in, tire pressure checked (I generally keep the bike clean/lubed from the previous ride), move the bike outside, put the water bottle and computer on get dressed, find my ID, cellphone, pocket money, do a little stretching, then do the shoes helmet and gloves. Computer on, and off we go.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It takes forever, one of the things I dislike about wearing a kit and helmet and all that. I remember fondly as a child just getting on the bike and going.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Probably 20-30 minutes here - depends on the weather and how long the ride is. Less time for a shorter ride (under 2 hours) and warm weather

·
Registered
509 Posts
5 minutes. All bike gear in the basement. Walk down, get dressed, fill bottles upstairs, top off tires, start GPS, ride.

What in the world takes 30 minutes to get ready for? I get ready for a hockey game in 15 or so.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Depends on the ride. If just for a beer or cappuccino then about 1 second - I get on my city bike in whatever clothes I have on and off we go. For a fitness ride on a road or mtn bike about 20 or so minutes to get kitted, fill water bottles, put bottles, Garmin, and GoPro on bike, zero the powertap, and pump up tires if necessary.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I keep cycling gear in two places, mountainsmith bike bag that I keep in the car with everything I need (minus bibs and shorts) so if I have to travel I do not have to look for anything and a bin in our mudroom with duplicates of everything if I leave from home. Pump tires, fill bottles, bibs, jersey and go. (Usually clean and lube chain after ride so ready to go) 10 minutes tops. I used to take longer but keeping gear together helps alot(also multiple sets).

·
Banned
697 Posts
It takes me about 20 minutes to get ready. It is a lot of small things I do, such as putting on wrist wraps, elbow wraps, layers of clothing, sticking on toe warmers in the Winter, checking tire pressure, getting my drivers license and medical insurance cards in case I get injured while riding. I got a bad case of Tennis elbow a few years ago from riding and the elbow wraps have prevented it from returning. One nice thing about cycling is I don't have to warm up or stretch like you must do before you go out running.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.