Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I was driving to work and running late and got a little aggressive going through a yellow light. The light changed to red either just before or just after I got to the line. Of course when I looked up there was a red light camera sign. How long do I have to wait before I can assume that I didn't get caught? I have been dreading going to the mailbox ever since.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Unfortunately the Supreme Court has ruled red light traffic tickets provide probable cause for the police. Expect to have your famiry disrespected in a no-knock raid fairly soon.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
The ticket will come just before the next time someone does a backround check on you.

Len

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Did you see a flash? Many red light cameras will make a noticeable flash, so if you didn't see one, that's a good sign.

On the other hand, I know of some cameras up in San Mateo that take video. They won't make a flash.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have seen the flash before and never received a ticket. I think they review them before sending out a ticket and in some scenarios they do throw them out. I have also contested by mail when weather was a factor and won.

You might be able to go online and put in your license plate to see if there is an open case.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
You might of got lucky and missed the timing. If you were already under it when it turned..

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
The respectability of these cameras is dependent on who is controlling them. The State of AZ contracted a company for Highway cameras. It was widely known that after several letters they would send someone to your house. If they failed to contact you then it kind of disappeared. The contract was canceled last year and the project I believe was considered a failure. But the cameras that are run by the cities and maintained by the cities will pretty much hold up in court, unless the picture they got is not you driving and you can prove it! There was a show recently where some friends took a guys car and each took a turn running the light in it. I think the guy got like 6 summons in the mail, he was slightly miffed over this!

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
In colorado I heard that for the photo-speed trap you don't have to pay unless you are personally served with the violation. They just rely on the fear of getting a ticket that most people pay. They track down some of the non-payers and serve them but the rest are dismissed.

One of the local tv stations has a vendetta against the speed traps. They have stories on how to avoid paying every couple months. I'm not sure if it's the same for the red lights, but I suspect it is.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I don't think any of the sprays or plate covers actually work. If you can see the plate, so can the camera.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I don't think any of the sprays or plate covers actually work. If you can see the plate, so can the camera.
I don't use the stuff, but I think the idea is that it makes the surface more reflective, so when the flash fires the plate is blown out.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I don't use the stuff, but I think the idea is that it makes the surface more reflective, so when the flash fires the plate is blown out.
I saw an episode of Mythbusters where they tried all of those sorts of sprays, plate covers, etc, that claimed to do exactly that, and none of them worked. I saw it on TV so it must be true.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Bicycle Commute

I go through a red light cam on my bike route. It is about 5:00 a.m. I have tried to trip the thing with no results. It seems bicycles should be the same as anybody else. My most blatant effort, middle of the road, full red, will not trip it....oh well...

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts

... and if you're caught trying to alter a plate then you can get a rather large fine.
Hell even those clear plastic license plate frames are illegal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts