Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was riding yesterday and everything was great, and then we stopped at the coffee shop and chatted and not a bad feeling there either, but after about another 2 hours more all of a sudden my nuts were freaking out and needed relief. Have there been any studies on nut squeeze and what could happen long term? even short term I'm feeling grumpy still. If anything long term happens I'll be pissed.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Sounds like a saddle setup/fit issue more than the short/chamois. All I know is with a decent fit with good shorts all day in the saddle is no problem. Lots of guys have done it including me. 9+ hours straight no stops late this fall and many friends doing some crazy endurance events in the 10-12 hour range. No issues.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,798 Posts
Has this issue just come up? If you haven't done anything in terms of adjusting saddle height, angle or new shorts, then it might be medical related.

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
Has this issue just come up? If you haven't done anything in terms of adjusting saddle height, angle or new shorts, then it might be medical related.
About 16 years ago pain from bicycle shorts (and subsequent discovery of a lump during the after ride shower) is what led me to the doctor where we found out that I had a varicocele. I didn't even know what a varicocele was and I was scared as hell about the whole thing before diagnosis.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Everyone is different, and one person can wear bike shorts all day and another gets uncomfortable after 6 hours. But it is safe to say that if your "nuts were freaking out" then there is something going on that they don't like. Get a bike fit, talk to a shop mechanic, or go to your doctor. There's so much you haven't told us... (what does nuts freaking out really mean? Do they itch? Are you in pain? Do they throb? Etc.) New bike, new saddle, experimenting with new positions, new chamois? You have to give us more if you want a meaningful answer.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I once did a race that took 15 h 5 m. Total chamois time maybe 17 h. No issues, she said.
As others have said, it's not the duration.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Well it is possible hummina didn't feel problems when on the saddle pedaling along, but when he got to the pizza joint and sat down in a chair, the crotch/chamois tightened up and crushed the nuts?

Come to think of it, I've had this experience a couple of times. Sitting on a bike is a crouch position, bent forward at the hips, plenty of slack in front. Sit in a chair, the back straightens, pulls the front of the crotch up, mashing the balls.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Could have taken things in hand and had some relief.
I had that thought, too. Adjustment is always an option (depending on the circumstances and company).

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
About 16 years ago pain from bicycle shorts (and subsequent discovery of a lump during the after ride shower) is what led me to the doctor where we found out that I had a varicocele. I didn't even know what a varicocele was and I was scared as hell about the whole thing before diagnosis.
Varicocele? Sounds like a type of pasta.....

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
how long is too long for wearing bike shorts?

47 hours

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My personal record is Sunday morning through Tuesday afternoon. When I came out of surgery they were off.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It could be the fault of the shorts. I have long-distance shorts that I can wear all day in the saddle with no problems. They have a thin chamois.

I have some other shorts, purchased as an experiment of sorts, that have a thick chamois. After around 45 miles in those shorts, my derriere is not a happy camper.

As another respondent mentioned, shorts/saddles/derrieres all very individual. It takes some experimentation to discover the right combination.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
When they turn green, it's time to clean.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
How long is too long? When the guy riding behind you says "Hey, it's time to get a new pair of bibs/shorts!"

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
when the ride is over it's time to get out of them, and of course wash them between ride. other than that as others have said it should not be an issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts