Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can do a 25 mile round trip to work and back 2-3 times a week.
I rode last Saturday close to the mountains and did 16 miles.

I'd like to see how long I could go 1 day this weekend, without getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, since my wife is out of town.

Any advise on how long I can go?

· Registered
68 Posts
Long Ride

I would try to do a nice and easy 50 mile ride to a point which you are familar with. Bring lots of food and maybe plan a stop or two on the way. I believe you should be in ok position to do that.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
KendleFox said:

I'd like to see how long I could go 1 day this weekend, without getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, since my wife is out of town.

I've always figured that however far someone normally goes in a week they can go in a day (if they don't try for speed).

· Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
KendleFox said:

To steal a simple idea from MB1 when he took us on a ride in November, if you ride in a big loop around a central point instead of straight out and back, it makes it much easier to bail out if you need to. What I mean is that we went on a 60 mile loop while staying within 10-15 miles from the start point. That way, if someone wanted to give up after 25 miles he or she would not be stuck riding 25 miles back. To do this, it helps a lot to know the roads well and/or have a cycling map.

· Registered
5,844 Posts
Go for 50 miles. It's a nice round number and very doable with the mileage you've been riding. Make sure you bring plenty of water and an energy bar, gel or something to eat along the way. Don't try to set any speed records. I've been on lots of 50-60 mile charity rides, and even some weeklong cross-state rides, that have people who normally ride very little. They don't go as fast as the seasoned riders, and suffer more, but most finish.

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Human beings vary wildly, of course, but one rule-of-thumb I've heard is that you can usually do about three times the time or distance you're currently used to doing, assuming similar terrain and speed. I've found this to be about right for myself and have observed the same with others. But you'll probably be pretty knackered at day's end. The 50 miles others have suggested is twice your usual distance and should be well within reach.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.