Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings all

I just lowered my saddle down by 5mm due to *slight* pain in hamstrings/upper calves during two 70km slow/mild climbs in two days. The pain is now ~95% gone (healed) but my performance now is down ~10%, off my P/B. This is after 3 rides of 3 hours each, so far. I feel like I lost some power in the legs as a result of the 5mm lower saddle height yet the leg pain is no more. Front of knees and quads feel no pain, hamstrings/calves are fine too on lower height. Yet, I am slower by ~10%. I cant say it's the wind either. Bizarre!

Question: how many hours or miles or weeks in the saddle does it take for legs to get used to the 5mm lower saddle height?

thanks

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
When Lemond, Hinault and others inspired the great saddle raising in the mid-1980s, the training literature in those days suggested that it would take "weeks" for your body to adapt to a new saddle height. Lemond said it took him "six weeks," but didn't tell us how many hours he rode in one week.

My lowering experience has been "weeks" as well. After three 10-12 hour weeks, my new, lower saddle position felt perfectly normal, while the old, higher position felt "strangely high." But I never had the equipment, patience or know-how to run an actual performance test. In that sense, I can't answer your question.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I think this is dependant on the person.
As some one mentioned below the standard knowlage is weeks however my coach (a very good one with plenty of knowalge about fit) once raised my saddle about an inch on the spot and set me off to ride up Palomar - crazy you might say but since I had my bike set up so wrong after about 10 miles of getting use to it I felt more comfortable than before. Slight variations in saddle height do not seem to bother me as much as others i.e. I can raise my saddle a few mm and not really have any issues after a few rides and my TT bike had a much higher saddle position and my reg road bike.

raising a saddle does seem to equate to more power if you performance dropped that much I would try to find a happy middle ground between the new height and the old.

acid_rider said:
greetings all

I just lowered my saddle down by 5mm due to *slight* pain in hamstrings/upper calves during two 70km slow/mild climbs in two days. The pain is now ~95% gone (healed) but my performance now is down ~10%, off my P/B. This is after 3 rides of 3 hours each, so far. I feel like I lost some power in the legs as a result of the 5mm lower saddle height yet the leg pain is no more. Front of knees and quads feel no pain, hamstrings/calves are fine too on lower height. Yet, I am slower by ~10%. I cant say it's the wind either. Bizarre!

Question: how many hours or miles or weeks in the saddle does it take for legs to get used to the 5mm lower saddle height?

thanks

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
bill said:
Boonen lowered his saddle last year.
Just saying.
IIRC Boonen said that his post had slipped, and he didn't notice it. What he did notice was that he gained power with the lower position, so he kept it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.