Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the WTB (which wasn't so bad) with a Fizik Arione Wing Flex. The reviews here are mostly very positive. However, it's killing me. I know saddle comfort varies greatly from person to person, but I'm hoping all I need are some more miles. Also, the Arione doesn't have a channel, how big a deal is that (for guys), in general?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
CBar said:
I replaced the WTB (which wasn't so bad) with a Fizik Arione Wing Flex. The reviews here are mostly very positive. However, it's killing me. I know saddle comfort varies greatly from person to person, but I'm hoping all I need are some more miles. Also, the Arione doesn't have a channel, how big a deal is that (for guys), in general?
I got one a couple years ago for one of my bikes and it immediately felt comfortable to me. It does seem like after a few hundred miles it got even better, but it was comfortable from the start.

Saddles can be finicky to get dialed in just right. Before you throw in the towel on this one, see if playing with the fore/aft adjustment doesn't help. Fizik's are longer than many saddles, did you install it with the same distance from the nose to center of the handlebar as the old? If not, you may be too far back or forward from what you are accustomed to and shifting your butt to try to get to your usual riding position. You could ride it and make note of whether you seem to be sliding forward or backward on the saddle to compensate for improper fore/aft adjustment.

You might also want to check level with a carpenter's level. Start with it level, but some people find tilting it down a hair from level helps. Also, double check that it is aligned straight forward.

If none of that works, see if the guys at your LBS can help you with tweaking before giving up on it completely.

As for the lack of the channel, I've never had problems with crotch area numbness. Do a search on this forum if you want more info, the whole topic of numbness and saddles has been discussed extensively.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
I don't think it's a matter of breaking in but of finding the optimum position for the saddle. When my muffins first hit Arione, they were pretty damned comfy. Then it just took a bit of futzing to optimize my muffin comfyness.
 

·
tofurkey hunting
Joined
·
4,733 Posts
alienator said:
I don't think it's a matter of breaking in but of finding the optimum position for the saddle. When my muffins first hit Arione, they were pretty damned comfy. Then it just took a bit of futzing to optimize my muffin comfyness.
after dialing in, my arione made me feel like i was lazing in a hammock, daydreaming about building a wheelset. the arione was much better than my other saddle, which made me feel like i was sitting at a work bench actually building a wheelset. :D ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
It takes some time to dial it in, not break it in. As the others have said make sure it is level from the nose back about 1/3 of the way. Any farther for me it started to get funky on the chunky.

TH
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,882 Posts
"Breaking in" was what you had to do with brooks, etc, saddles that were just a piece of hardened leather.

The only "break in" modern saddles require is your butt to them, or, as others have said, positioning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Argentius said:
"Breaking in" was what you had to do with brooks, etc, saddles that were just a piece of hardened leather.

The only "break in" modern saddles require is your butt to them, or, as others have said, positioning.
The Arione is actually designed to "break in" a bit as it's ridden. Certainly not as much as the leather saddles of old, but some. That's what that wing flex area of the saddle is all about. That said, if it's uncomfortable now, it will probably never become comfortable as the amount the saddle changes is very small and is centered around the saddle being less in the way then supporting you better.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
CBar said:
I replaced the WTB (which wasn't so bad) with a Fizik Arione Wing Flex. The reviews here are mostly very positive. However, it's killing me. I know saddle comfort varies greatly from person to person, but I'm hoping all I need are some more miles. Also, the Arione doesn't have a channel, how big a deal is that (for guys), in general?
I don't think they break in at all. If you look at the split plastic on the bottom, it's far harder than your thigh. In a constant rub, your thigh is going to break in first.

I have a couple of Ariones. First ride - loved it. And I continued to love them for a quarter or so. Then, I started hating it. Even took it off the bike for a while. Finally spent some time adjusting them up and down and fore and aft and found another sweet spot. Now I like them again. I think it's a matter of positioning and I think that saddle is more sensitive to positioning than most.
 

·
Custom Title= ?
Joined
·
785 Posts
Arione

Agreed w/ Terry. Loved it first, after awhile not so much. I learned long ago to keep the appropriate wrench handy during the first couple rides to make on-the-road adjustments. The Arione remains plenty comfortable enough for my sit interface. The Arione ends up positioned a bit further forward than my other saddles.

The 'break in' that Fizik mentions really isn't much. I 'broke in' my second Arione over the edge of the kitchen counter with about five minutes of cross-checking before it went on the bike. Over the years, I've taken a Dremel to more than a couple of plastic shell saddles and cut up the shell across the spine in strategic places to achieve increased shell flex. Same principal as the 'Wing Flex' concept.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,504 Posts
Explain this!

Dr. Paul Proteus said:
The Arione is actually designed to "break in" a bit as it's ridden. Certainly not as much as the leather saddles of old, but some.
In order for a modern (non-Brooks) saddle to "break in" then something has to soften or change shape. And anything that would soften or change shape (the base, the rails, or the foam) would be breaking down, not breaking in. I would have to hear some sort of technical explanation of what plastic or metal part was getting more flexible with time without actually heading straight to failure. The wings on the Arione are there to make the saddle flex differently, but you're going to have to explain how it is that they change over time with use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
I have 2 Ariones. This saddle is actually my favorite piece of cycling equipment because it fits me so well. Having that said, maybe this isn't the right saddle for you. I definitely agree that adjustment on this seat is critical, but if it doesn't feel close, then I doubt adjustment is going to solve your problem. As others have said, break in is minimal.

The Arione is both relatively expensive and in high demand, I would imagine that your/ a LBS would be willing to trade you out for something else.

In regards to your channel question it really just depends on comfort. I have tried a number of seats with channels of different width, shape, depth and am yet to find one that put less pressure on my perineum then the Arione. A channel can do more harm then good depending how it fits your anatomy. I've sat on a few Specialized cut away seats that felt like I was dropping my perineum into a vise that was slowly getting tensioned, others felt pretty nice.

Your perfect saddle may or may not have a channel, but its not a bad idea to lookat then with equal consideration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I am relatively new to road biking and my fairly new bike came with the Fizik Arione Wing Flex saddle. It seems that any ride over 30 miles will give my "under carriage" a good chaffing. Rode 50 miles yesterday and now any quick movements hurt. My saddle has about 1000 miles on it now. What would you recommend for adjustments? The saddle has a slight angle down measured across the entire top of the saddle. Should I try moving the saddle more forward? Make it entirely level? Anyone have any experience with this problem? I never had this problem on my mountainbike and regularly put in 30+ miles on it. Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Not much help but...

Fresno Biker said:
I am relatively new to road biking and my fairly new bike came with the Fizik Arione Wing Flex saddle. It seems that any ride over 30 miles will give my "under carriage" a good chaffing. Rode 50 miles yesterday and now any quick movements hurt. My saddle has about 1000 miles on it now. What would you recommend for adjustments? The saddle has a slight angle down measured across the entire top of the saddle. Should I try moving the saddle more forward? Make it entirely level? Anyone have any experience with this problem? I never had this problem on my mountainbike and regularly put in 30+ miles on it. Thanks for the help.
...when I am on my mountain bike, I am seldom on the saddle much. Then again, I am riding pretty technical trails. On a road bike, I am seldom off the saddle so it is a much different experience. Just my opinion, YMMV.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top