Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals:

I've been logging in 300 or so miles per week since June of last year and this is the first time I've gotten sick enough to not ride.

Came down with a bad head cold that has moved down to my chest and after a couple of weeks I seem to be on the back side of it. No fever or anything, but sore throat and stuff.

Anyway, I've heard that as long as the cold is in just your head, you can continue to ride but not really push it. But once it moves into your chest you need to stay off the bike until you are over it.

I still have some left over stuff in my chest, but it's subsided greatly and I'm hungry to get back on the bike, but I don't want to rush and get a relapse. I've been off the bike for 8 days now.

Any pointers? Advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
ride but take it easy
play it by feel

just do an easy hour and head home. See how you're doing later that day
you body will tell you if you're ready or not

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm in the exact same spot right now. I just got over the worst cold I can ever remember having. Worst part is, it didn't get REALLY bad until one day when I thought I felt allright and then decided to go on a 5.5 hr hammerfest. That was stupid...very stupid :rolleyes: After 7 days off the bike, I started doing easy 1.5 hour rides. I really didn't want to push it any further because I had one heck of a cough. This coughing was and still is really annoying so my plan is to not get into hard stuff until the coughing can be controlled. I've never had to go through anything like this before, so I think I'm looking for some advice too! Common sense has just been telling me to listen to my body and don't do a repeat of the "5.5 hr immune system weakening hammerfest".

Unfortunately no easy riding session for me today, I need to go see the doc about an ear infection. Geez, when it rains it pours! I almost never get sick and now I'm having problems like never before. Oh well, that's life!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts