Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

How loud is too loud for a freehub? i was riding in a last man standing bunch thing around a 4km circuit the other day, and when some of these guys coast, i cant even hear the wind. It is seriously loud, reminds me of world war 2 plane bomber sounds you know?

if i had wheels like them, i would force myself to pedal downhill and around corners, ahhhh

Holyaline "yes, another post by me"

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
There are alot of different freehub sounds. I like my loud Fulcrums. They are even louder on carbon. Shimano freehubs are quiet. Kings sound like a swarm of bees. Its just the way it is.

It all comes down to the mechanics and the type of lube used in the engagement system.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
... I've got one that removes the element of surprize from any group sprints and tactics as it's quite clear when I've eased off a bit and am coasting to anyone around me...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
My Campy hub is pretty buzzy, but I rarely coast except when going downhill fast enough so the wind noise is all I can hear. Methinks you exaggerate the volume a bit.

This is another reason to ride a fixed gear. There's nothing like the sound of riding fixed in the rain. No mechanical noise at all, just shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . .

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you want loud and distinctive, I recommend these.

The hub’s distinctive sound–which Profile likens to “Furious Wasps”–is hard to ignore. Coast, and everyone around you will immediately take notice. After my first ride on the Elites, I dubbed them “Motörhead” (i.e., “… louder than everything else”).

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Not that I look very often (or can even recognize it very well) but it seems to me that there are no cheap hubs that make a racket, only the nicer ones. But I really have no idea.

Is there anyway to make my current (almost silent) hub make more noise? The silence is pathetic...everyone will think my hub is crap, which it is but I don't want it to sound like it is!

·
Proud luddite
7,157 Posts
Not that I look very often (or can even recognize it very well) but it seems to me that there are no cheap hubs that make a racket, only the nicer ones. But I really have no idea.

Is there anyway to make my current (almost silent) hub make more noise? The silence is pathetic...everyone will think my hub is crap, which it is but I don't want it to sound like it is!
Remove the bearings and you'll get quite a bit of noise after you ride for a while. You'll also get to experience a catastrophic failure of your hub, quite possibly leading to serious injury or even death, and that will make some noise too. :D

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,321 Posts
as tihsepa said it's the design of the freehub mech and the lube use. that said, you can quiet down some of them w/ different lube and/or cleaning and fresh lube. carbon rims will make any hub noise louder, too.

wow, wasn't i nice?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I wish my loud hubs were quieter. The guy ahead hears me coasting, he pulls off...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have cheap ones that are loud. I have 2 sets of take-off fulcrum 7's (cheap wheels they put on cervelo's and other expensive bikes, I guess because they figure the new owner will buy $1000+ wheels? or just to be able to sell the bike for the same price with worse parts) and one set has a super loud freehub and the other one is pretty much silent.. go figure. They probably just get whatever freehub happens to be cheap at the time when making them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Using thicker lube to quiet pawls can lead to slipping (especially when the temps drop). Nothing like standing on the pedals and having the rear wheel suddenly freewheel.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Chris King holds the record for the loudest clicking sound to come out of a coasting hub.
In the old days I had a freeelwheel grease injector. It would quiet my shimano hubs.
There was a fine art of putting just enough grease into the freewheel so it would not jam the palls on a cold day. If you use oil it will just run out onto your rims and tires.
Now all my freewheels are quiet from the factory.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Going through my wheels in a noise ranking

Hope disc on the mountain bike - very noisy, but good for commuting or riding on busy paths, so people can hear you
Spinergy - stock hubs from them, but are noisy
Chris King disc - for the road/cyclo bike, a lot quieter than the two above
XTR disc - for road/cyclo, never hear them, very quiet

my wife has bontrager, and they are quiet, as well as know disc XTR for her mountian bike and they are also very quiet.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,321 Posts
Chris King holds the record for the loudest clicking sound to come out of a coasting hub.
In the old days I had a freeelwheel grease injector. It would quiet my shimano hubs.
There was a fine art of putting just enough grease into the freewheel so it would not jam the palls on a cold day. If you use oil it will just run out onto your rims and tires.
Now all my freewheels are quiet from the factory.
the new R45's are much quieter than the older hubs, but there are quite a few that are noisier than any King. King's are just really buzzy.

you're still using freewheels? you mean 'freehubs', right?

·
irony intended
772 Posts
....if i had wheels like them, i would force myself to pedal downhill and around corners, ahhhh

Holyaline "yes, another post by me"
I'm still not taking it easy on you....welcome back

If you "had wheels like them" we would have had to endure 17 repetitive posts like "how loud is loud enough to qualify as pro?" before you got them.

But to answer your question directly, in my opinion there is no such thing as too loud. Although my personal preference is for muted.

Reactions: tihsepa

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,881 Posts
Now in the winter we ride on a 200m indoor athlethics track. We typically have a few trains going with 2-8 riders in each.
One of the regulars is on Lightweight Standard tubular wheels. Those are completely made of carbon: Rims, spokes, hub shells. Hub internals are DT with the 36 tooth ratchet. So I'm on this guys wheel and he freewheels: :eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts