Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw one of those "Priceless" commercials with MacGyver on it the other day. I was never really a fan, but still appreciated the cleverness of the show, or the "creativity" it portrayed.

I figure you for a clever lot, how MacGyver are you? Bring your best stuff and stories... Im gonna leave it up to the peanut gallery to holler "BULL$HIT!!!" when you try and make up something to impress us.

Honestly, I think anyone from the midwest has a distinct advantage, therefore must come up with TWO examples for any of the coaster's one... only because I believe this is one of the only states where using a coat hanger to hold up the exhaust system on your car gets past state inspections.

I hate to even say it, but I once pulled a car out of a ditch with my truck using several twisted coat hangers. Ok, maybe I should handicap anyone in the midwest by making the rule that you can't use a coat hanger. Cause here, they are used for tv/radio antennaes, locks on gates/outhouse doors, holding trunks shut when we have shot out the lock, ... anyway.

I'm not saying anything bad or good about the poor midwesterner, its just the fact that many are poor or simply live too far from a wal-mart to get the proper items to get the job done right.

Tell us about your BEST MacGyver moment. Points will be awarded for creativity and pecularity.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I built a sail for my skateboard back in the 70s out of an axe handle and some black plastic sheeting. Lots of duct tape. Made my Monkey Ward stingray into a chopper around the same time using lead pipes. Outfitted it with lifevests so it would float when I jumped it off the dock into our lake.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bonus points if it actually floated.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I'm MacGyver like Sam Jackson got motherf*cking snakes!

I'm not sure I could even narrow it down to just one story. I'm all the time re-purposing stuff and making my own tools.

Let's see...

I used two pieces of copper pipe, 4 6-inch pieces of wire, duct tape and styrofoam to make a very very dangerous 8-foot extension "cord" once. Worked too. That's the most MacGyver thing, since most people would only do something that stupid to get out of prison or maybe save the country from terrorists.

I did it because it didn't occur to me how frigging dangerous it was. Age: 19

It's really common for me to do something like rent a piece of equipment from Home Depot or something and have it not include a necessary tool for changing blades, etc., and trot out to the garage and come back with a tool I've made myself out of a piece of aluminum bar, or all-thread, or a hunk of HDPE or something.

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
Do paper towel tube "pipes" fall under this category? :)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
TUT2222 said:
Do paper towel tube "pipes" fall under this category? :)
everybody did that--also see pop cans, apples...not much you can't make a pipe out of. ;)

When I was a stupid kid I'd make "weapons" out of paper towel tubes and razor blades. Usually ended up cutting my fingers before I'd finish though.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
While going to UK, I lived in a Seminary for four years. One night a good friend of mine was walking off the elevator and dropped her keys...of course, they went straight through the tiny gap and down the elevator shaft. So she couldn't get into her apartment to sleep or finish her sermon for the next day's Sunday service.

Luckily, it was only a 3-story elevator, so it wasn't too tall. We rode it up and down for a while to take note of the situation at hand, using my MagLite to see. I first grabbed my roll of string and wrapped a large speaker magnet on the end with duct tape.

Because the keys had dropped about a foot from the edge of the concrete pit at the bottom of the elevator shaft, we had to ride up to the third floor so I could swing the magnet far enough. Once the magnet got ahold of the keys, we'd ride back down to the basement and I'd attempt to pull them up.

However, each time they'd get to the gap in the elevator, they'd catch and fall down again, landing out of view. For the next attempt I tied two unwound coat hangers together and blindly felt for the keys to try and get them closer. Of course, this didn't work well either because I couldn't see them.

I ended up using both methods. After going up to the third floor to get the magnet swinging, I caught ahold of it. We went down to the basement and, while pulling the keys up, hooked onto them with the coat hanger in order to get them through the gap.

Her Listerine breath mint thing had fallen off the keychain, and I hated to leave it hanging out down there, so I got out the coat hangers again and lifted it up.

I think I got a dinner out of that one, so it was well worth the time.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
I used two pieces of copper pipe, 4 6-inch pieces of wire, duct tape and styrofoam to make a very very dangerous 8-foot extension "cord" once.
Dude, that's not MacGyver....that's more like Corky on "Life Goes On."

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
While going to UK, I lived in a Seminary for four years. One night a good friend of mine was walking off the elevator and dropped her keys...of course, they went straight through the tiny gap and down the elevator shaft. So she couldn't get into her apartment to sleep or finish her sermon for the next day's Sunday service.

Luckily, it was only a 3-story elevator, so it wasn't too tall. We rode it up and down for a while to take note of the situation at hand, using my MagLite to see. I first grabbed my roll of string and wrapped a large speaker magnet on the end with duct tape.

Because the keys had dropped about a foot from the edge of the concrete pit at the bottom of the elevator shaft, we had to ride up to the third floor so I could swing the magnet far enough. Once the magnet got ahold of the keys, we'd ride back down to the basement and I'd attempt to pull them up.

However, each time they'd get to the gap in the elevator, they'd catch and fall down again, landing out of view. For the next attempt I tied two unwound coat hangers together and blindly felt for the keys to try and get them closer. Of course, this didn't work well either because I couldn't see them.

I ended up using both methods. After going up to the third floor to get the magnet swinging, I caught ahold of it. We went down to the basement and, while pulling the keys up, hooked onto them with the coat hanger in order to get them through the gap.

Her Listerine breath mint thing had fallen off the keychain, and I hated to leave it hanging out down there, so I got out the coat hangers again and lifted it up.

I think I got a dinner out of that one, so it was well worth the time.
I forget how it worked, but we once got keys out of an elevator shaft with my boss' belt (with buckle) and some wire hangers. We were both from the midwest if that proves someone's theory. ;)

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
everybody did that--also see pop cans, apples...not much you can't make a pipe out of. ;)

When I was a stupid kid I'd make "weapons" out of paper towel tubes and razor blades. Usually ended up cutting my fingers before I'd finish though.

What about paper towel tubes stuffed with dryer sheets? For those close quarters....

joe

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, in reading this Im thinking... number one... never leave home without a wire coat hanger... two... people's keys fall down elevator shafts far more often than we think... (as I have done this as well, and was amazed that the maintenance worker says that it happens "all the time... I guess he was right).

What was the styrofoam used for in the extension cord, and I still want to know if the lead pipe chopper of bojo's actually floated.

At this point, Im kind of disappointed. I was thinking I was going to get stories of "Mousetrap" style... remember that game? You twist the crank, the shoe kicks the bucket that rolls down the stairs into the gutter that popped the glove up that pushed the bowling ball that rolled into the bathtub that landed on the teeter totter that launched the old man into the trough and the trap comes down on the mouse? Man... what a game....

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
. That's the most MacGyver thing, since most people would only do something that stupid to get out of prison or maybe save the country from terrorists.
LMAO!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
funknuggets said:
You know, in reading this Im thinking... number one... never leave home without a wire coat hanger... two... people's keys fall down elevator shafts far more often than we think... (as I have done this as well, and was amazed that the maintenance worker says that it happens "all the time... I guess he was right).

What was the styrofoam used for in the extension cord, and I still want to know if the lead pipe chopper of bojo's actually floated.

At this point, Im kind of disappointed. I was thinking I was going to get stories of "Mousetrap" style... remember that game? You twist the crank, the shoe kicks the bucket that rolls down the stairs into the gutter that popped the glove up that pushed the bowling ball that rolled into the bathtub that landed on the teeter totter that launched the old man into the trough and the trap comes down on the mouse? Man... what a game....
chopper forks broke soon after going over a curb...made it back into a regular bike which floated well enough that I didn't have to dive to the bottom of the lake to retrieve the bike after each jump.

// Moust trap sucked...you bought the thing and it really wasn't as much of a game as it was about putting it all together and watching it work. Inevitably you'd lose some key pieces and it would be thrown in the trash.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
I was driving along in my '62 Triumph TR4 when the engine suddently sputtered and died. When you drive an old British sports car you expect this sort of thing to happen from time to time.

I opened the hood and saw that an air cleaner bolt had vibrated out, causing the air filter to swing down and block one of the SU carburetors. I went into a nearby Taco Bell and borrowed a short length of twine. I tied the twine through the air cleaner bolt hole and continued my drive home.

Go ahead and just try to fix a modern car with a length of twine, I dare ya. ;)

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
funknuggets said:
I figure you for a clever lot, how MacGyver are you? Bring your best stuff and stories... Im gonna leave it up to the peanut gallery to holler "BULL$HIT!!!" when you try and make up something to impress us.
Tell us about your BEST MacGyver moment. Points will be awarded for creativity and pecularity.
I'm lame, most MacGyver thing I've ever done is duct tape a chica to...moderationed...

I was party to a true Macgyver moment though. We were in Baja, just south of Ensenada in my buddies VW van, 68 I think, when the engine fell out. The mounting bolts broke. With nothing more than some wire, rope and alittle duct tape we managed to get the engine back and seated, sort of, and drive back to the US, 80ish miles. We only had to stop and jimmy with it 3 or 4 times, all on the dirt road leading back to the highway and all of us drinking except for the driver, which helped I think in hind sight....

·
9,416 Posts
funknuggets said:

At this point, Im kind of disappointed. I was thinking I was going to get stories of "Mousetrap" style... remember that game?
First, Mousetrap isn't MacGyver, it's Rube Goldberg.

Second, the styrofoam was to keep the two copper pipes from touching. I was pretty sure they'd arc if they got too close together, even if they were wrapped end-to-end with tape. Which I didn't want to do anyway, because the pipes were for an art project and I'd have had to de-sticky them, and it would have taken enough time that it would have been easier to drive into town and buy a proper cord.

In case anyone was intrigued, I rigged the two pipes in parallel with the styrofoam blocks keeping them apart every couple of feet, then duct-taped it together, and taped the wires to either end of the pipes. One set of wires was jammed into an extension cord, the other end was taped to the cord of a sander.

We were working on the sailing club's boats in the yard, and the closest we could get to the house was the edge of the porch. The farthest we could reach with the real extension cord was the house-side of the porch out a window. We bridged the gap with the "extension pipes." It was impossibly stupid, and a neighbor brought us an extension cord from his house when he saw what we were doing. It worked, though.

·
9,416 Posts
svend said:
I'm lame, most MacGyver thing I've ever done is duct tape a chica to...moderationed...

I was party to a true Macgyver moment though. We were in Baja, just south of Ensenada in my buddies VW van, 68 I think, when the engine fell out. The mounting bolts broke. With nothing more than some wire, rope and alittle duct tape we managed to get the engine back and seated, sort of, and drive back to the US, 80ish miles. We only had to stop and jimmy with it 3 or 4 times, all on the dirt road leading back to the highway and all of us drinking except for the driver, which helped I think in hind sight....
This reminds me of my friends who burned out a wheel bearing on their van coming home from a motorcycle race in the middle of the night in East nowhere. They figured out that a wheel bearing (or was it a steering-head bearing?) from their racebike would more or less fit. They bodged it in, Sam drove slowly up the shoulder while Tim hung out the passenger-side window with a flashlight, watching the hub in case it started to smoke or something. They made it to an exit, slept in a service station's parking lot, and were fixed by mid-morning the next day.

"If you can't field-strip your transporter on the side of the road at 3 am, you have no business going racing."--Walt Schaefer

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
kpcw said:
FWIW, if she was hot, you should have been MacGyvering her etc.
Nah, not so much. Think "big black gospel singer" and you'll probably come up with a good mental picture. I love her to death, but not in that way!

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
funknuggets said:
This is precisely why I always get a firm grip on my keys *while inside my pocket* whenever I pass through an elevator. I have always been paranoid that I would drop my keys down the shaft. This justifies my fear. Thank you!

I once locked my keys in my car and retrieved them with a wire coat hanger. The keys were on the seat and the window was open an inch. I could not untwist the top of the hanger and it was not long enough to reach the keys just by flattening the triangle, so I hooked two carabiners together onto the hanger and swung it back and forth until it caught the keyring.

Had to do it several times before I could hook it enough to keep it from falling off. As I was trying to MacGyver the keys, a guy pulls up and asks if I need help. I told him no thank you, but he got out anyway and started looking through his trunk for something that could help. Just as started walking over to me with whatever it was in his hands, I successfully pulled the keys through the window. Hah! I didn't want no help from no guy!

Thinking back, I have no idea why I had a wire coat hanger in my car or where I got it. I never dry clean anything, and that's the only place I know of that uses wire hangers.

Hmm, I think I should get a wire coat hanger and a roll of duct tape to keep in my emergency kit in the car... Just in case.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
undies said:
Go ahead and just try to fix a modern car with a length of twine, I dare ya. ;)
I fixed the jumping breather element in my '85 Caprice with a couple of twisty ties. And "borrowed" a detatched wheel cover from a late model Crown Vic (no doubt from a police car) to make it to Florida and back.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts