Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just disassembled my rs81 rear hub to check how the grease was holding up. Everything seems fine, but it seems like there is a little to much space between the drive side balls... I wonder if I lost one (didn't remove any). I counted 13 balls, does anyone knows the right number?

And sub question: is the front hub 100% symmetrical? I can't remember which side I unscrew and which one is the fixed axle...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
An old rule of thumb for loose ball bearings is put in as many will fit then take one out. More than likely you have the right amount of balls.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank all!

While we are on the subject...

The general consensus seems to be that there should be a little play when preloading the bearings of cup and cone hubs and that this play will go away when clamping the wheel with the QR skewer.

Does this still applies to Shimano Dura-Ace (and RS81 / Ultegra) hubs? I've read in a few places that they have oversized axles, which do not bend under QR pressure, and that leaving some play when adjusting the preload is no longer necessary. Does anyone have some experience with them?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Thank all!

While we are on the subject...

The general consensus seems to be that there should be a little play when preloading the bearings of cup and cone hubs and that this play will go away when clamping the wheel with the QR skewer.

Does this still applies to Shimano Dura-Ace (and RS81 / Ultegra) hubs? I've read in a few places that they have oversized axles, which do not bend under QR pressure, and that leaving some play when adjusting the preload is no longer necessary. Does anyone have some experience with them?
No, it does not. These hubs use digital indexing. Finger tighten the cone onto the hub axle until all looseness is gone.

Read the Dealer's Manual I previously linked. It shows you how to do it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it does not. These hubs use digital indexing. Finger tighten the cone onto the hub axle until all looseness is gone.

Read the Dealer's Manual I previously linked. It shows you how to do it.
Yeah I saw it in the manual, but since it went against pretty much anything I've previously read on the subject, I was a bit puzzled.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,423 Posts

I've always wondered about the term "digital indexing" when it comes to this new feature on Dura-Ace and Ultegra hubs. Smooth marketing term by Shimano where the consumer perceives the word "digital" as the latest computer age thing when in this case, "digital" refers to the ability to finger tighten and get a good adjustment. Fingers=digits.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,423 Posts
An old rule of thumb for loose ball bearings is put in as many will fit then take one out. More than likely you have the right amount of balls.
Hmmm. I thought the old rule of thumb is to put in as many as you took out.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
The "old rule of thumb" is that you need 1 more than you can find on the floor after you drop them....
Wow. I didn't know you were watching me last time I cleaned and repacked my hubs. Finally found it over an hour later :)

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
Wow. I didn't know you were watching me last time I cleaned and repacked my hubs. Finally found it over an hour later :)
A retractable magnet is your friend.....

BTW, you should've seen me the day I discovered that my classic Raleigh cruiser's headset wasn't a caged bearing........I think each race had about 16 tiny bearings. Had to buy a large bag of replacements, because I lost about 8 of them. They were a pain to re-seat, too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When reassembling the whole thing, how important is it to be accurate with the prescribed torque?

My torque wrench does not go that high. I torqued to what I felt was as close as possible to 15Nm, guessing that it didn't matter much. Was I right?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
When reassembling the whole thing, how important is it to be accurate with the prescribed torque?

My torque wrench does not go that high. I torqued to what I felt was as close as possible to 15Nm, guessing that it didn't matter much. Was I right?
As long as you are reasonably close to the specified torque range you should be fine. It's worst to overgtighten than to undertighten

1 - 13 of 13 Posts