Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that (some) modern frames bear too many manufacturer labels on them. How many labels do you consider to be a line between good taste and cheep advertisement?
If you ask me...brand name/logo on down tube, model name on top tube and a badge on head tube is enough...maybe add a signature if the brand has famous history. Everything above that and I start asking myself why did I pay to be riding commercial.
Similar thing is with wheels and those huge stickers...some ppl will even order and pay for the new stickers when original ones get dirty or damaged...who is crazy here?

Here is an example of a good frame "ruined" with too many labels:

Why would someone want to have 2 Colnago signs on down tube per a side of a bike?
This frame has a total of 12 Colnago labels...are they crazy?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey, if you're going to go and spend a big chunk of cash one of those fancy schmancy Italiano Colnagomajiggys you want everyone to know, right??

Personally I like the stealth look. My road bike is naked Ti with only a head badge.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'd just like to clarify my position. If there are some companies that want to sponsor my slow ass, and give me free bikes and schwag, then the sky is the limit! Otherwise, no labels.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Which would be worse: Logos everywhere or one logo with flame graphics?

I ask because I saw a custom-painted Trek Madone with flame graphics :cryin: .

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Anything beyond 1. Then, it was a bit much even when I began in the early 80's. Now not a single tube is bare. Ugh.... I've been thinking rattle can lately.

It would be nice...allow them to emblem the heck out of it for X% discount and bare frame for a modest premium. That's why I like that Hasa thread...just a bare frame. ;)

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
I agree. keep it down to a dull roar. The wheels are especially ugly

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
A lot of you say one, but I say two. A down tube with a builder's name on only one side would be stupid.

This is about perfect.

This is pretty gaudy, but serves its purpose

Another good example of subtlety

Lotsa paint, builder on the down tube, model on the top tube.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dr_John said:
I have one... the running joke when I pull up? "Hey, is that a Specialized?" :thumbsup:
LOL. They need to reduce the number of decals, because that's a pretty bike. The first time I saw one in real-life I was astounded at the thickness of the DT, it's thicker than the DT on my aluminum Giant (and that's REAL big). :D

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Dr_John said:
I have one... the running joke when I pull up? "Hey, is that a Specialized?" :thumbsup:
Wouldn't that be the "riding" joke? :idea:

If you don't like flash and prefer performance incognito you should look at Pedal Force.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm ok with five . Head badge,one on both sides of downtube, and one on both sides of either the top tube or seat stays. The names on the downtube ,I'm ok with being a little large . The other set of main decals I would expect to be much smaller .

1 - 20 of 61 Posts