Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shimano hg-93 chain only has about 1200 miles on it, but I will need to break it for a 3rd time do to a new front derailluer and crankset purchase... how many replacment pins are too many?
Would I be better off just going with a new 9 speed chain? Someone told me that since i have new chainrings on my crank, I should get a new chain anyway.. is that true?
 

·
LOOK lover
Joined
·
616 Posts
A chain with only 1200 miles should be fine with new chainrings unless you've neglected it.

When you break it again, put it back together with a SRAM Master or Wippermann Connex link. You'll never have to worry about how many replacement pins are in it, and you can even re-use the link in your next chain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
BugMan said:
A chain with only 1200 miles should be fine with new chainrings unless you've neglected it.

When you break it again, put it back together with a SRAM Master or Wippermann Connex link. You'll never have to worry about how many replacement pins are in it, and you can even re-use the link in your next chain.

It this case the chain's already got some milage on it, So I'd keep the same link for the next chain.

But generally, change the connector link every time you change a chain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
wait? aren't shimano/sram 9sp chains like 20USD on ebay??

i'ld put a new one for new cranks, just because... i hate you ! new chain for me = 90AUD, (70USD) thanks connex. :(

keep the one you have now as a spare... def. use quick links, i love them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
wankski said:
i'ld put a new one for new cranks, just because... i hate you ! new chain for me = 90AUD, (70USD) thanks connex. :(
True that! Can't stand how much we have to pay compared to you guys in the states.
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
mwilcko2 said:
My shimano hg-93 chain only has about 1200 miles on it, but I will need to break it for a 3rd time do to a new front derailluer and crankset purchase... how many replacment pins are too many?
Would I be better off just going with a new 9 speed chain? Someone told me that since i have new chainrings on my crank, I should get a new chain anyway.. is that true?
One is too many. Use a Sram gold link. - TF
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top