Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an American living in Singapore which is full of expats who are all very well traveled.
So, the question often comes up...how many countries have you visited?

Let me pose this question to the Lounge.

(some ground rules):

1) You must have spent 24 hrs there

And

2) which was your favourite and why?

I know we have a lot of well traveled Loungers. I look forward to the recommendations for new places to visit! :)

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Marshall Islands, Pohnepei, Koserae, Chuuk, Mexico, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Canada, England, Scotland, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Italy,

Other places not really countries:

Guam, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix, Jost van ****, Midway Atoll, Kure Atoll.

Plenty of places yet to see :)

edit: forgot about Jamaica last year. The wimminz is hot in Jamaica :)

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll go first...

FURST! (Hey, you can't furst your own threads)

1) 49 countries (half of those courtesy of Uncle Sam and half as a result of my wanderlust)
--this is about average with expats.
--will tick off six more before next year.

2). Timor Leste -- the newest Democracy (est 2002) is very poor but very exciting and the independent enthusiasm is almost palpable (assuming they don't have any more coup attempts). The people were proud, the Portuguese/Indonesian heritage is interesting and it was exciting to be involved with a country starting from ground zero. I think they can pull it off and President Horta (Nobel Peace Price recipient) is the right leader to take them there. Go TL!!!

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
I'd like to know what you military guys and gals think about 'seeing' a country--whatever that phrase may mean to you--while on duty abroad. I don't know jack about military life (couldn't be more off my radar) and don't want to make any assumptions, so I'm curious to know what that's like vis-a-vis your presence in a foreign country as a military person vs that of a civilian expat, something I have often been.

FWIW I've been to about 20 countries and lived in three for extended periods, including my current and very long term home in France.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Not sure, about 30 I'd guess.

I have favorite cities and favorite rural/scenic areas but couldn't really pick a favorite country. Germany is the foreign country I've seen the most of and I really like it. Paris is my favorite city of the ones I've been to but I haven't seen enough outside of Paris to say much about France as a whole. I've seen the majority of Austria and really like that as well. I've liked everywhere I've been now that I think of it.

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ibashii said:
I'd like to know what you military guys and gals think about 'seeing' a country--whatever that phrase may mean to you--while on duty abroad. I don't know jack about military life (couldn't be more off my radar) and don't want to make any assumptions, so I'm curious to know what that's like vis-a-vis your presence in a foreign country as a military person vs that of a civilian expat, something I have often been.

FWIW I've been to about 20 countries and lived in three for extended periods, including my current and very long term home in France.

That's a fair question. For a lot of military folks (typically the junior guys), visiting a new country means pulling into the nearest watering hole.

For me it has been no different as a Naval Officer or an expat--I take the first opportunity to get as far away as possible and immerse myself in the local culture.

I guess everybody has their own way of experiencing the world. :thumbsup:

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy69 said:
Marshall Islands, Pohnepei, Koserae, Chuuk, Mexico, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Canada, England, Scotland, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Italy,

Other places not really countries:

Guam, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix, Jost van ****, Midway Atoll, Kure Atoll.

Plenty of places yet to see :)

Great stuff! I'm curious about all your south pacific travel. Do you sail?

...which was your favorite and why???

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hank Stamper said:
Not sure, about 30 I'd guess.

I have favorite cities and favorite rural/scenic areas but couldn't really pick a favorite country. Germany is the foreign country I've seen the most of and I really like it. Paris is my favorite city of the ones I've been to but I haven't seen enough outside of Paris to say much about France as a whole. I've seen the majority of Austria and really like that as well. I've liked everywhere I've been now that I think of it.
Yeah, Paris is great. I love France in general (I'm not supposed to admit that as an American).

Sounds like you have a lot of European travel. Nothing stands out? I found Bulgaria to be enchanting, and the women of Romania to be some of the most beautiful in the world (a whole nuther thread).

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
wagsea6b said:
Great stuff! I'm curious about all your south pacific travel. Do you sail?

...which was your favorite and why???

Scuba diving destinations. And some pretty impressive ones at that. :cool:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
wagsea6b said:
Yeah, Paris is great. I love France in general (I'm not supposed to admit that as an American).

Sounds like you have a lot of European travel. Nothing stands out? I found Bulgaria to be enchanting, and the women of Romania to be some of the most beautiful in the world (a whole nuther thread).
It's not that nothing stands out, it's that everything (just about) stands out so I couldn't even begin to rank a favorite.
I've only traveled to Europe for pleasure so naturally I wouldn't be going to any known to be bland places but the only place I've ever been where my reaction was kind of "whatever" was Frankfurt. I was more than ready to leave Amsterdam when I did too but it was pretty cool for a while.
Actually Bavaria and Tirol stand out. I can't pinpoint one single reason why but I just love being there. The dolomites area is really nice too. Barcelona and Vienna are a couple other cities I really like. Heidelberg (germany) and Bolzano (italy) were great smallish cities. Mittenwald (germany) and Hallstatt (austria) are a couple really nice/scenic small towns.

I've been to a couple Central America countries and some of the Islands as well. Panama was good (once I got out of Panama City) and St. John's (USVI) has been my favorite island.

Back to Canada......I really liked Newfoudland. Got to be the nicest people in the world there and it's scenic. Talk about rural....wow. Outside of St. John's it's really rural.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Career military here. In the Navy I have been to: Italy (mainland, Sicily, Sardinia), Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, UAE, Bahrain, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, China (Hong Kong), and I think that's it. I enjoyed my time in the Mediterranean more than the time spent in SE Asia. No one really enjoys the Middle East, you kind of tolerate it and make the best of the situation.

As far as the military question, how I viewed port visits depended on the purpose of the visit. The third time I visited Bahrain, it was during OEF so it was locked down with very few trips outside the base and strict curfews. Bahrain is typically pro-american but it's proximity to KSA means that security remains high. You can see the machine guns following you as you approach the security gate. My last visit to Bahrain last year was good although I didn't do much off the base. My visit to Montenegro was for a state department visit so we hosted a lot of receptions and did community relations projects. We repaired and painted playground equipment, fixed plumbing at some local schools, painted the local soccer stadium, gave endless tours, and were encouraged to mingle with the locals. English is widely spoken in the former Yugoslav republics.

One of the unfortunate problems is the younger guys immediately heading to bars to get drunk. Young guys do it, it's always been that way, but they'll probably look back and regret not seeing the country. One tour group in particular went to Venice and all the guys talked about was finding a bar and getting drunk. It's sad, but maybe the experience will make them appreciate future travels.

BTW, I've been through the Suez Canal five times and the Panama Canal once.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lemme see.....

Mexico, Canada, Panama, England, Ireland, Spain, France, Germany, Australia, Bangladesh, Nepal, China, Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kyrgystan, Iraq, Kuwaiit, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Turkey....think that's it.

Much of my travel was done on Uncle Sam's dime and or that I am eternally grateful. I was given lots of opportunities I never would have had to see the world otherwise.

My favorite region of the world has to be Asia. I enjoy the culture and history and the simple fact that it is a nice change of pace from the west.

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sa7nt said:
Lemme see.....

Mexico, Canada, Panama, England, Ireland, Spain, France, Germany, Australia, Bangladesh, Nepal, China, Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kyrgystan, Iraq, Kuwaiit, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Turkey....think that's it.

Much of my travel was done on Uncle Sam's dime and or that I am eternally grateful. I was given lots of opportunities I never would have had to see the world otherwise.

My favorite region of the world has to be Asia. I enjoy the culture and history and the simple fact that it is a nice change of pace from the west.
Where did you go in Bangladesh?

I've been to Dhaka and it has pretty much set my low water mark. Man, that's a poor place (with really, really bad traffic.)

·
Large blurry non-mythical
1,236 Posts
Mexico, Canada, France, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Spain, Costa Rica...so....seven. Rode bikes in all of 'em!

Favorite? Hard call, but probably a toss up between Spain and Costa Rica. The citizens of both are VERY friendly and accommodating. Both have some of the best seafood I've had anywhere and both have their own strain of natural beauty. I'm seriously considering retiring to Costa Rica.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Around 15.

Favorite: Austria and Finland.

Variations of a question:
How many countries that do not exist anymore?
Soviet Union. GDR. I missed Yugoslavia.

How many unrecognized countries?
Abkhazia.

·
waterproof*
41,610 Posts
1) 8.
2) which was your favourite and why? Belize, it's got the blend of rasta-man Caribbean w/ Central America "manana" culture while still speaking English and they are stable / safe and ****** friendly.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
I'm pretty parochial. My life list is nine countries other than the USA: Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, Fiji (probably shouldn't count because I spent almost all my time there working in an airplane hangar and never got a chance to sightsee), New Zealand, Italy, France, Poland, Bangladesh.

My favorite was Italy, but Poland was a close second.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
wagsea6b said:
Where did you go in Bangladesh?

I've been to Dhaka and it has pretty much set my low water mark. Man, that's a poor place (with really, really bad traffic.)
Mixed feelings about Dhaka: of big cities in poor countries it was amazing to feel so safe: no one would cut open my backpack or pick my pocket. The locals were very friendly and the english-speaking ones wanted to practice their english and chat. But the pollution and traffic are horrid and the poverty can really be depressing.

The Parliament building is amazing architecturally---really beautiful.

OTOH, I much prefer rural Bangladesh and the wildlife preserve in the Sundarbans is amazing.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts