Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how many e-mails do you get a day? How many that require action or response?

I just came back from spring break, and MAN these things pile up. Well, after a week at least. And I was just curious how much time and effort this part of our daily lives takes.

Oh, and I have a dozen so far today (answered 3, did one thing for another), but that IS after a long time off.

Final question. Do you save more time with e-mail, waste more, or is it a wash? Would letters and phone calls stop you in your tracks, or would it let you get your work done? As if working is why you are reading this now, right?

Back to the e-mines.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
dr hoo said:
So, how many e-mails do you get a day? How many that require action or response?

I just came back from spring break, and MAN these things pile up. Well, after a week at least. And I was just curious how much time and effort this part of our daily lives takes.

Oh, and I have a dozen so far today (answered 3, did one thing for another), but that IS after a long time off.

Final question. Do you save more time with e-mail, waste more, or is it a wash? Would letters and phone calls stop you in your tracks, or would it let you get your work done? As if working is why you are reading this now, right?

Back to the e-mines.

Umm, I get probably about 12-20 emails daily, usually only 2-3 need to be addressed immediately, 4-5 need to be taken care of by the end of the day, and the rest are middle management notices-usually garbage.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
I predict a HUGE reply to this thread. E-mail can be the single biggest waste of time known to man. The bigger the company, the more wasted time. In my last job I there were times that I would get over a hundred a day that needed to be looked at. Of those perhaps 20 were useful, but you needed to look at all of them to cull them out. I know guys that see 200 a day, and I'm sure that's low compared to others. Nuts it was. Nuts I tell ya. Can you tell how I feel?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I get about 500/day. Of that, I'm cc'd on about 400 and they don't require a reply..

I
probably 200-300...1/4 of them junk.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
200 to 300/day...

dr hoo said:

Back to the e-mines.
1/3 junk
1/3 informational
1/3 actionable.

Len

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Way too many!

I probably get in excess of 100/day. Most of them I can just delete, but there are usually about 20 or so that I have to actually deal with. A lot of them are due to my daughter's MySpace account, which uses my email so I can keep tabs on what is on there.

I have lots of friends that live all over the country, so without email I would not stay in as close touch with many of them, due to the expense of calling.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Oh

dr hoo said:

Back to the e-mines.

it depends on whether or not you are talking about work e-mail or personal, I keep two separate e-mail accounts, work is 12-20 per day, but the personal one can exceed 100/day almost all of them garbage.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Geez, between you, Dave, BJ and Len, you guys get a heck of a lot of email. I fortunately get between 5-10 emails a day, and that's it. Usually from customers who want to know if I have the time to finish a language job for them, and what type of deadline am I presently on. In terms of spam, only about 3 per day, which from what I gather is nothing, and I should count myself lucky ;) . Ahh, the advantages of being self-employed.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I'm currently getting about 35-40 daily, none of it business-related (since I still don't have a job). It's a big day when I actually get a real message, i.e., something from someone I know, as opposed to those kind people offering genuine fake watches, pharmaceuticals of dubious provenance, low, low refinancing rates, hookups with women of dubious provenance, various "male enhancements" (as if I need that) and offers of such staggering incomprehensibility that I don't know what they're about.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
dr hoo said:

Back to the e-mines.
Far too many. I have 498 unread since Friday. I need to act on about 1/3rd of them. The rest are cc's or don't require action. I get very little spam.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
50-100 a day, depending. Answer maybe 6-8-10

Mine depend on the topic of my column and how big an @$$hole I've said George Bush is that day, but I probably average around 75 a day. Of those, half will be flat-out, kill on sight spam and six to 10 will be from readers who deserve a response (I answer everybody who writes except the people who just say '#$%@ you, hippie &^#$!").
that's with the spam filters on. If I turn them off, so everything gets to the Inbox, I can easily get 400 a day.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
I have no idea, but I'd say half are things I need to do. The other half are those obnoxious "Thank Yous" after I've completed something. I hate those....

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i appreciate your attention to this matter.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To clarify, when I said e-mails I meant POST spam filter. Something with some signal related to your job or life.

Those of you dealing with an order of magnitude higher e-mail volume than I, let me just say this; I am glad I am not you. The really scary thing is that there must be people who have a two orders of magnitude difference from me. Though I will say that some of the e-mails I write and respond to are very, very, very long and take up a lot of time per.

Personally, I try to answer all messages that need answering within 24 hours. I normally answer the short ones when I get to the office, and longer ones as time allows during the day. I keep my e-mail volume down by hook and by crook. For example, I NEVER turn the out of office autoreply on for the account. That just encourages them.

I think to me, e-mail is a clear overall benefit. But like any system, it can and will grow and overrun us unless it is held in check by collective and individual effort. So use the forward button with caution.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Unfortunatly......

dr hoo said:
To clarify, when I said e-mails I meant POST spam filter. Something with some signal related to your job or life.

Those of you dealing with an order of magnitude higher e-mail volume than I, let me just say this; I am glad I am not you. The really scary thing is that there must be people who have a two orders of magnitude difference from me. Though I will say that some of the e-mails I write and respond to are very, very, very long and take up a lot of time per.

Personally, I try to answer all messages that need answering within 24 hours. I normally answer the short ones when I get to the office, and longer ones as time allows during the day. I keep my e-mail volume down by hook and by crook. For example, I NEVER turn the out of office autoreply on for the account. That just encourages them.

I think to me, e-mail is a clear overall benefit. But like any system, it can and will grow and overrun us unless it is held in check by collective and individual effort. So use the forward button with caution.
I was talking Post Spam Filter.

That being said, only about 10% of what I get requires a response longer than 2 or 3 paragraphs.

Len

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
acknowledge

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

**jumps off pier**

G

·
Somewhere between 150 and 200 per day. Like Len I would say no more than 25 or 30 actually require me to do anything more than look at with glazed eyes, forward to someone else or hit the delete button.

Life was NICE before email.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts