Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is having a party this weekend. We figured most of the kids have seen the diet coke fountains when you put mentos in them, but none of them have probably done it. We figured it would be a fun thing to do.

We have a few 2 litre bottles of diet coke and a package of mentos. What is the recommended number of mentos per bottle?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
The more mentos you drop in the quicker and stronger the reaction but the shorter it lasts (more mentos=more surface area to react).

1-4 is the usual range but I understand some use 5.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
The more mentos you drop in the quicker and stronger the reaction but the shorter it lasts (more mentos=more surface area to react).

1-4 is the usual range but I understand some use 5.
cool. I think I need to get more soda and mentos. Somehow my wife thought 3 bottles would be enough...:rolleyes:

We picked up one of these. It will let the kids pull the string without getting all wet. It looks like it will hold 5 or 6. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here is how I do it:
take a large paperclip and straighten it out leaving a hook at the bottom.
Use a small bit and drill to drill holes through the mentos (about 5 or so)
Take off the coke cap and drill a hole through it
Load the paperclip with mentos and thread it up through the hole in the cap. You can hold it next to the coke bottle to insure they are above the liquid once it is screwed on.
screw the cap back on holding the paperclip so the mentos are suspended above the coke.
push the paperclip down into the coke with the mentos and stand back as it erupts.
This method gives you control and the small diameter helps to fire the coke higher.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
simonton said:
Here is how I do it:
take a large paperclip and straighten it out leaving a hook at the bottom.
Use a small bit and drill to drill holes through the mentos (about 5 or so)
Take off the coke cap and drill a hole through it
Load the paperclip with mentos and thread it up through the hole in the cap. You can hold it next to the coke bottle to insure they are above the liquid once it is screwed on.
screw the cap back on holding the paperclip so the mentos are suspended above the coke.
push the paperclip down into the coke with the mentos and stand back as it erupts.
This method gives you control and the small diameter helps to fire the coke higher.
Dang, that sounds like work. But I like the idea of a smaller diameter hole...I think I'll make an insert into the cap on the soda shooter so that it's smaller.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No, just unwind a paperclip, get the drill out and drill with the same bit the mentos (some will break, but you have a bunch) and the cap. Just a minute or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts