Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a trek frame, alittle over 3000 miles. Its an 2008, the guy said he never raced it, just used it on his second bike, its in nice shape.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,446 Posts
there is no right answer to your question. could be 1 really bad mile, or 100,000 really gentle ones. if it looks good and you trust the seller, go for it.
think about it...there are thousands of aluminum frames out there, many different alloys, lots of different designs. the answer is "it just depends..."

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Actually most manufacturers state you can only get 3216 miles out of an Alu. frame. After which, you recycle the frame for .05 cents which can be applied toward your next purchase.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Miles don't really mean anything. With no crashes on nice roads just about any frame will have an almost literally infinite life. With a crash or mega pot hole you could damage on in a matter of feet nevermind miles.

3000 of ordinary use is nothing I'd balk at. Assuming no crashes and 'ordinary' use I wouldn't worry about the frame at all and needing a new chain is generally the only thing to look out for.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Coolpick87 said:
I ran across a trek frame, alittle over 3000 miles. Its an 2008, the guy said he never raced it, just used it on his second bike, its in nice shape.
42!!!!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I put more than 3000 miles on my full aluminum frame in less than 2.5 months this year and am up to around 5000 so far on it with no issues.

As others have said...there is no real answer. A lot will have to do how it's ridden, who it's ridden by, how much they weigh, what type of power they are putting out, what the road are like where they ride, who built the frame, any defects in the frame, etc.

If you like the bike and there is no visible damage, it's likely going to be a fine bike for many thousands of miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts