Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16 years Army here.
Been to Fort Bragg, NC , Panama (2 tours), Fort LeoanrdWood, MO, Germany (2 tours), and now For tRiley, KS.
Germany was by far the best for biking, really had some god rides (the lil tme I was at home).............

·
Registered
3 Posts
Six years Canadian Air Force here... Kingston Ontario, Trenton Ontario, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and most recently Cold Lake Alberta. Trenton was tops for riding, being right by Prince Edward County, Kingston was good too, it was where I got into the sport but I wasn't there long enough after starting out to do any serious riding there. Cold Lake's been nice so far but not many roadies up here. Drivers are polite and give me a wide berth which is nice. Moose Jaw.... terribly boring roads but it had the best group of riders I've had the pleasure to ride with.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yikes, sounds like MY career.

Panama 95 to 98 and Fort Bragg 99 to 03, much time at FLW in between. Damn, if we don't know each other, we probably still have a half dozen common acquaintances! Got to love the Army.

Cheers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Army here as well

Twelve years and counting. A few years ago the PX had really nice-looking Army jersey but I didn't buy it. Wish I had. Has anyone seen any good jerseys out there?

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
gotmilk? said:
Twelve years and counting. A few years ago the PX had really nice-looking Army jersey but I didn't buy it. Wish I had. Has anyone seen any good jerseys out there?
I've got one of these. Go Navy beat Army!

·
Registered
198 Posts
That is very nice...

lemonlime said:
I've got one of these. Go Navy beat Army!
Unfortunately, I have to admit Navy has knocked the stuffing out of Army the last few years. Did you know, the Army Navy game is the most watched college football game of the year every year? That's according to one of the news channels that was doing a story on the game a few years back.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Military members

19 years in the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) here, been posted all around OZ.

cheers

Ralph

·
Registered
425 Posts
11 Years Navy...

Currently stationed at NAS Patuxent River, MD. GREAT cycling around here. There are 8 foot shoulders on most of the roads for the farm equipment. Tons of lightly travelled roads. Really good cycling club with weekly races on base. Hard to beat.

LCDR Mike

·
Registered
180 Posts
12 years Army

Been to Germany (2), Fort Bliss and Korea. Currently in Tampa FL on TDY and loving it. The best place the I have ridden so far is El Paso of all places. Plenty of open roads and some hills plus bueatiful single track there for MTB. Wish I was back there now.:thumbsup: :cornut:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Andy C said:
Panama 95 to 98 and Fort Bragg 99 to 03, much time at FLW in between. Damn, if we don't know each other, we probably still have a half dozen common acquaintances! Got to love the Army.

Cheers.
WOW...I was in the 536th En. Bn in Panama from 93-95, then they deactivated and became the 518th En Co. in 96 till I left in 97.
Were you an Engineer too?

·
Registered
440 Posts
US Army 82-85 - (10th sfg(a), 1st sfg(a))
US Army reserve 85 - (11th sfg(a))
USMC 86-92 - (Weapons co 2/4, Hotel co 2/8, Weapons co 3/8)
Been in most of the places mentioned here. Jungle school in Panama 3 times - but never stationed there. 29 palms desert training twice
Ft. Lewis, Ft. Knox, Ft. Benning, Ft Devens, Camp Sherman, Camp Lejeune, Parris Island, Camp Geiger, Little Creek, Norfolk, maybe 5 or 6 other bases...Time spent in Korea, Japan, Israel, Turkey, Iraq, Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, and a few other countries.
roughly 2 yrs of sea time. (many hours on a LifeCycle in the foc-sle)

Wish I would have ridden more in the places I went... usually I did more walking, hiking, marching, etc...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Army

17 years 4 months active duty, 3 years army reserve, 4 years national guard (next month is my last month, I retire!)

Basic training: Fort Bliss (1981)

2 tours in West Germany: Schwabach 82-83, Wackernheim 85-88 (bought my first road bike there).

2 tours South Korea: Camp Hovey 89-90, Camp Casey 92-94.

3 stays at Ft. Hood.

Desert Shield/Storm. 1st Cav
Operation Iraqi Freedom II: 1st Cav, Camp Taji

White Sands, NM. Homeland defense stuff. Like Inchrdawg said, plenty of room out there to ride, but I would have to say I enjoyed Germany the best.

Stinger/Avenger crewman on active duty, Army reserve, REMF stuff (forget that)! National guard, tanker (armor crewman for you non military types). :D

Y'all be careful out there and come home safe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You did 17 years active then ETS'd?
What is your retirement gonna be like, are you gonna get the full 40%?
I almost got out at 14 years but was "stop lossed" for 2 years till now.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
does civ count?

mdewitt71 said:
16 years Army here.
Been to Fort Bragg, NC , Panama (2 tours), Fort LeoanrdWood, MO, Germany (2 tours), and now For tRiley, KS.
Germany was by far the best for biking, really had some god rides (the lil tme I was at home).............

Biking to pentagon for 4 years now...

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.