Votes: 168 92.3%
  • Let bike shop do it.

Votes: 14 7.7%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
270 Posts
steel515 said:
I was wondering what percentage of people build up own bikes from a frame?
I was thinking of doing this, it doesn't look so hard, but requires some special tools/ knowledge I think.
special tools yes , knowlege no ....

If you have the tools , patience and can read ... It's childs play . The only think I didn't do myself is install the headset . Go to the park webite for all intalation and upkeep .

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
special tools yes , knowlege no ....

If you have the tools , patience and can read ... It's childs play . The only think I didn't do myself is install the headset . Go to the park webite for all intalation and upkeep .
Having just done it myself for the first time, headsets are child's play as well. Granted, I could see it being a little bit difficult if you're doing it with threaded rod and washers, but with an actual headset press it was easier than trying to remember which way the BB is threaded.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,526 Posts
Have built my last 7 bikes myself and NEVER let a bike shop touch them for any reason.
Just picked up a headset press on my last PBK order and a wheelbuilding stand off ebay so that I don't even have to go to a LBS for that sort of thing anymore.
Built my first set of MTB wheels a couple of months ago and they seem to be holding up quite well too.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
built 2

steel515 said:
I was wondering what percentage of people build up own bikes from a frame?
I was thinking of doing this, it doesn't look so hard, but requires some special tools/ knowledge I think.
I have gotten a lot of satisfaction out of building up my last 2 bikes myself. I am not sure its saves any money but its a great way to spend time during a winter break

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I don't trust other people to build up my bikes. They will always do something to tic my off..(bar tape wrap..cable housing length..derailleur adjustments..STI placement.. bar angle......you name it, I'm very, very picky)

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Built two this spring alone.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts
The only things I leave to a shop:

-Cutting the steerer
-headset install

Those two take the right tools-and are too easy to fck up....and can be fcked up by even the smallest error.

Everything else I do my little old self. It's rewarding to ride something of your own craftiness. Wheels are the most fun to build, tho.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Picking Nits

MR_GRUMPY said:
I don't trust other people to build up my bikes. They will always do something to tic my off...
I thought I was the only one that picky. So often they lack attention to detail, sometimes annoying and sometimes unsafe.

bopApocalypse said:
...headsets are child's play as well. Granted, I could see it being a little bit difficult if you're doing it with threaded rod and washers...
Even easy with the threaded washers. Just take your time.

Special Tools
The only special tools I look to the shop for are facing tools for the headset and bottom bracket. And there are only two guys at the shop I will even let touch my bike for facing. I wont even take my bike in the shop if one of them is not working.

·
Registered
449 Posts
built up 2 of my bikes... do everything myself except facing the BB and pressing the headset... other than that, with the basic tools, its pretty easy... the park tool website tells you how to do anything.. dont play with my wheels though, haven't needed to for one, but i take em to the shop for any work... and havent built up a set, but i think thats in the near future, just gotta get all the tools...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I do it myself, I've never had one built that did'nt make me spend a couple of aggrevated hours tuning or righting something. I read Ed Borysewicz book a long time ago, (80 & 84 Olympic team) . He insisted each team member build and do their own work to become aware of the machine... good advice. Been a while since I read it but also said something in his East European gruffness " don't trust someone working an hourly wage to treat your bike like your baby" paraphrased.

·
Registered
797 Posts
A time ago, I could build an old school bike from the gound up blindfolded
I'n not sure if I could deal with sealed berings, brifters and index shifitng without eysight though...

·
Batteries not required
1,118 Posts
It's not hard and it's fun

I just finished my first complete build. I used SRAM Force parts. On the SRAM website they have great "service" videos on each component of all their groups. They give an overview of the part, how to install it, how to lube it, torque specs and tuning tips.They even tell you what tools you'll need. It was a big help for me to get it all set up correctly.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not sure I'm any better at it than the average shop mechanic, but sure is a lot of fun. And great to know how to do stuff when something goes wrong and it's a week or more wait at the LBS to get work done in the summer.

G

·
I build my own bikes. I can't imagine why you let someone else do it, it's half the fun.

It takes almost no time, really requires very little in the way of "special" tools.

Pressing a headset is very easy with $5 worth of threaded rod.

Cutting steer tubes either threaded or unthreaded is very easy, possibly the easiest part of the whole job and it does not reguire any special tools either, a vise and a sacrificial headset spacer to run the saw blade against.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.