Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
I have a 8 mile commute via roads, or it can be 10 miles of which 7 is dirt, and out comes the mountain bike, or I can take the long way home which is 24 miles, 21of it on dirt, with 1400' elevation gain. A good stress reliever on a Friday ride home. No battling traffic, just a few coyotes to contend with. Not trying to turn this into a thread for MTBR, just responding to the post.

· Rep *****.
9,820 Posts
I use everything I got. Depends on what route I want to take and how much stuff I need to carry. Sometimes its the cross bike for the rail trail route other times its the race bike for a fast rode route or its the regular commuter rig if I'm carrying a lot of stuff.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I will ride the 29'r MTB with slicks from time to time to mix things up a little. The downside is that I have to wear a big camelback to carry my stuff. It did come in handy last year when I had 9 stitches in the webbing between my thumb and forefinger. I couldn't ride my road bike, but the hand angle on the flat bars worked just fine. The MTB is nice though, I just bomb my way along without worrying about potholes, etc.

· Cyclocross fool
451 Posts
FUnny you should pose this question today. I usually commute on my 24 year old Peugeot fixie conversion, but this week I decided that since I have 5 bikes, I should commute on a different on each day. So it went:
Monday - Bianchi San Jose single speed cross
Tuesday - Felt F35R road/race
Wednesday - 1982 Peugeot PKN10E fixie (one owner!)
Thursday - Rock Lobster custom steel cyclocross
Friday will be old school Bontrager Race MTB singlespeed w/drop bars & Bonty rigid fork. I'll have to leave a little earlier on it, because it's geared pretty short, but it should be fun.

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
I'm picking up a trek 1000C this week to start using for my commute but I have been riding The pig (a FS K2 MTB with slicks) since I started a month or so ago. I have also done it on my Road bike and my SS MTB but prefer the pig. I plan on putting 28's or 32's on the Trek and using it in the future. It already has a rack so I'm going to add a bag to carry the gear. I've been using a Gregory pack but I'm concerned that it would get very hot this summer.

I hope I like the the Trek as much as I like the pig. I'm a big fan of riding MTB's on the road. I would not consider riding a road bike at night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.