Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about buying a new helmet. I've been using a Giro Revel. What do you all think about the state of aero helmets these days? Good option for every day use?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I've used aero road helmets in the past and I'm back to a normal helmet (Kask Protone) for racing and everyday riding. The comfort and ventilation is incredibly important as I live in a hot region. Buying a hemet in hopes of saving a few grams of drag based on manufacturer test is a wild goose chase as the helmet rider interface is unique. That aero helmet may be less aero than your current helmet. So...I guess I'm against the idea for everyday types to racer types.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've used aero road helmets in the past and I'm back to a normal helmet (Kask Protone) for racing and everyday riding. The comfort and ventilation is incredibly important as I live in a hot region. Buying a hemet in hopes of saving a few grams of drag based on manufacturer test is a wild goose chase as the helmet rider interface is unique. That aero helmet may be less aero than your current helmet. So...I guess I'm against the idea for everyday types to racer types.
Isn't that considered an aero/semi aero helmet? Kinda like the Synthe? I just found a synthe online for $120 so I think im going to try it out. Also, my head circumference measures just under 21.75", this is right on the border of Small and Medium. Any suggestion as to which size I should go with?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Isn't that considered an aero/semi aero helmet? Kinda like the Synthe? I just found a synthe online for $120 so I think im going to try it out.
I'd say the Kask Infinity is the road aero helmet but, I honestly don't know? I think the marketing dept at bike companies are getting pretty liberal with the word "aero" to sell.

As far as the Giro Synthe is concerned I'd view the Giro Air Attack as a more aero road helmet. I rode the Synthe last year as it was our team lid. Great helmet all around. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Specialized Prevail is another helmet that I've seen classified as an aero helmet but, the Evade is clearly designed to be the leader for Specialized in this area.

So what I'm saying is for Giro go Synthe v. Air Attack. For Kask go with the Protone v. Infinity. Specialized go with the Prevail v. Evade etc...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say the Kask Infinity is the road aero helmet but, I honestly don't know? I think the marketing dept at bike companies are getting pretty liberal with the word "aero" to sell.

As far as the Giro Synthe is concerned I'd view the Giro Air Attack as a more aero road helmet. I rode the Synthe last year as it was our team lid. Great helmet all around. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Specialized Prevail is another helmet that I've seen classified as an aero helmet but, the Evade is clearly designed to be the leader for Specialized in this area.

So what I'm saying is for Giro go Synthe v. Air Attack. For Kask go with the Protone v. Infinity. Specialized go with the Prevail v. Evade etc...
Yeah, Giro says the Synthe is more aero than the Air Attack. I'd imagine the infinity is more aero when closed, but I think the protone is marketed similarly to the synthe. Just ordered the synthe, $120 was too good to pass up. Hope the small is large enough.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Wow! Good luck! A helmet is something I could never order online. So many small variances... I'm particular about that items fit.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I use a Giro Air Attack without the liner in cold weather (-10 to +7 C) because my other helmet has little room for winter caps and such under it.
When It's warmer I use the other one, a Giro Synthe, which I barely can sneak a normal cycling cap under. But the Synthe is something like a semi aero helmet, so I guess I only have aero helmets then.

Both are size M and I fill the both out pretty well. The Synthe just runs a bit smaller.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I ride a Synth and Air Attack, but would get a Ballista now. I've ridden the Air Attack in very warm weather and as long as their is some relative wind, it is very good at keeping my head cooler. Climbing in hot weather, it's not so good.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I recently purchased a Bontrager Ballista. I having owned Bell, Giro and Rudy Project, I think the Ballista fits the best. We shall see how it does in the summer vs my Aeon.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
I have the Air Attack Shield and like it, and a Ballista is on my wish list.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I've had an Air Attack Shield for 2.5 years, and it's been the most comfortable helmet I have owned. The advantage to the shield version is you also don't get sweaty sunglasses.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Also, my head circumference measures just under 21.75", this is right on the border of Small and Medium. Any suggestion as to which size I should go with?
get the Med...

that will allow you to use a sweat band, cycling cap, or other head cover.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I've been using the Bell ProStar for a couple months. Bought it primarily for the winter - the ability to open and close the vents on the fly is great. And yeah - having a shield that doesn't get sweaty or fog up is a HUGE plus. Haven't worn it in warm temps yet.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I have the Giro air attack with the lens. I don't give a flying rats arse about it being aero, but I am convinced it was the best helmet purchase I have ever made. The lens never fogs, unlike my sunglasses. I haven't had a single wasp get in the helmet since I bought it. You can find them on sale for about 1/2 list price if you look around (I got mine via REI in case I needed to return it for some reason, and it was the best price.) It fit perfectly right out of the box. I didn't even need to adjust the straps.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
I've been using the Bell ProStar for a couple months. Bought it primarily for the winter - the ability to open and close the vents on the fly is great. And yeah - having a shield that doesn't get sweaty or fog up is a HUGE plus. Haven't worn it in warm temps yet.

How well does that shield block the wind from your eyes, and how strong is the tinting on it? Also how far away from your brow is it? Looks like it ends up quite close to your face unlike the Giro shield helmet.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
The lens never fogs, unlike my sunglasses.
How cold of a temperature have you ridden with this? My shield will start fogging if it gets cold enough. If I ride below 30F, the shield will ice over completely after half an hour.

·
Poseur
116 Posts
I have a Giro Air Attack, but I hardly wear it because I feel like such a poseur. It is also a bit warmer than a standard helmet, but IMHO not intolerably so. I mainly got it for the eye shield though, which I love. I wish they made a normal helmet with the same shield.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I recently purchased a Bontrager Ballista. I having owned Bell, Giro and Rudy Project, I think the Ballista fits the best. We shall see how it does in the summer vs my Aeon.
Seconded. I haven't ridden with another brand, so I can't compare, but I like my Ballista. Haven't used it yet on a *really* hot day, so I can't say for sure how it breathes, but so far it works well for me. Also, the price is very reasonable, relatively speaking.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
How cold of a temperature have you ridden with this? My shield will start fogging if it gets cold enough. If I ride below 30F, the shield will ice over completely after half an hour.
Low 40°F. California thermo-wimp here. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.