Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
What a boring request. How many socks do you own?? Is this what this forum is coming to?

Buy enough clothes and do your laundry. Would you also like to know how many briefs I have in my top drawer? Just 3. I wash them in water every other day.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
More than enough for tardy laundry habits. I could go a few weeks...

·
9,790 Posts
Somewhere north of 150 pairs of socks, 20+ bibs, and 30-ish jerseys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 5 pair of shorts, but 2 of them are old and used up, not really worth wearing on more than a 15 mile ride, but I'm cheap and lazy and don't throw them out.

I have 2 jerseys, neither of which I fit in.

I just use regular socks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I thought I am bad with impulse buying but some other here buys more than me. =D

So afraid to count... ok here goes... 8 gloves, 2 bibs, 6 shorts, 8 jerseys, 1 thermal shoe cover, 3 windbreaker, 1 jacket, and 50+/- pairs of socks (reg/cycling).. I dont why I own so many socks.. LOL

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Enough to go a week between laundry sessions, and never to wear the same shorts 2 days. I commute, so that means about 7 or 8 shorts (I forget exactly) and about 10 pairs of socks. Too many jerseys (accumulated over the years, and they pretty much never wear out), but I don't even usually wear a jersey for the commute. A whole bunch of wicking t-shirts and longsleeve base layers (cheap from Sierra Trading Post) for the commute. Wash everything in cold water on a gentle cycle, and hang to dry.

And hell yes, wash your shorts. With soap. Economically getting enough shorts to avoid both frequent laundering and wearing dirty ones isn't that hard if you look for sales.

And think of it this way: shorts wear out and have to be replaced, so if you stay with this activity you will buy many pairs over the course of the years. Buying 6 pairs so you can change every day doesn't mean buying more in the long run -- it just means buying some of them sooner. I have some that are probably 12-13 years old, but they're still good because they're in the rotation rather than used every day.

I usually have 2 or 3 pairs of usable gloves at a given time, but they wear out pretty fast, so I get a new pair on sale every year or two.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
I could ride for 2 months straight without doing jersey laundry. 2 weeks straight without doing bibs/shorts. Socks...who cares?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I buy Jerseys and bibs from everywhere I visit as souvenirs and have examples from 4 continents (Germany, France, UK, Italy, Ireland, South Africa, Botswana, Australia and New Zealand).

When I moved back from europe, I had a whole Gorilla box (Plastic footlocker) filled with jerseys, bibs, baselayers, gloves, jackets, etc.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Amusing.
Plenty of past discussion on what to save $. Having-wearing nicer cycling clothing, buying the economy stuff doesn't appeal. Well, not that my kits are big $ because they hit mid-line prices, the Castelli and Santini clothes are suitable for my uses.

Use the sports detergents made for the technical fabrics. I've liked Sports Suds but there are others to choose that accomplish similar.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
too many. sorry i honestly lost count.

if you ride every day then it makes sense to get at least four sets (or more depending on your laundry habits)<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

<embed width="1" height="1" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/8/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always"></object>
hehe same here, I lost count but that's a good thing, right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a few pairs of black Starter running shorts from walmart and recently have been scanning through ebay picking up some really nice used jerseys. Found about 4 -5 there so far that are absolutely like new, kinda cool finding unique jerseys from around the country.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.