Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out if the amount of cycling clothes is considered excessive by your standards. I have 4 Castelli KISS bibs of which 2 are in great condition and the other 2 is showing signs of threadbare at the chamois stitching area. I suspect that these will last only a few more months. I also have a cheap but godd condtioned Troye Lee Designs bibs, Fox 12 oz wt shorts, and 3 other old shorts that I never wear except for when I'm on the Mag trainer or underneath my Pearl Amfib tights. I jsut ordered 4 Giordana Tenax bibs for $72 a piece. That makes 6 good bibs/shorts to go along with my 4 that are on the way here. Does this sound a bit excessive?? Thanks and ride on

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
10 pairs of shorts to me sound like a lot more than you need.

I try to keep no more than 5 pairs. One or two have holes starting around the chamois and I use these under tights in the winter. They get one winter of use and go in the trash because they are ending their lifespan. I keep three or four good pairs of bibs for the season. One at work, one at home, and one or two in the wash.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I rotate 5 pairs of Voler bibs

I won't even consider hand washing or laying out bibs to dry. Life's too short and that is a waste of time. I send my cycling clothes, bibs included, through the regular wash and dry cycle. having 5 pairs lets me rotate them so I'll always have at least one or two pairs ready for a ride. As they wear I simply replace them one by one and the older ones get relegated to trainer rides.

If I spent $200+ on bibs like some do, I perhaps would re-think the hand washing and drying

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
I am trying to figure out if the amount of cycling clothes is considered excessive by your standards. I have 4 Castelli KISS bibs of which 2 are in great condition and the other 2 is showing signs of threadbare at the chamois stitching area. I suspect that these will last only a few more months. I also have a cheap but godd condtioned Troye Lee Designs bibs, Fox 12 oz wt shorts, and 3 other old shorts that I never wear except for when I'm on the Mag trainer or underneath my Pearl Amfib tights. I jsut ordered 4 Giordana Tenax bibs for $72 a piece. That makes 6 good bibs/shorts to go along with my 4 that are on the way here. Does this sound a bit excessive?? Thanks and ride on
Not at all excessive. The more you rotate the longer they will last. I have short ride bibs (the ones with sub-par chamois) and longer ride ones. I have bibbs that are better for cold as they have less mesh. All in all recently I counted somthing like 12 pairs. That being said many of them were free, I think only 4-5 were purchased.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
6 bibs, 1 shorts

Like most have posted the older ones are worn under tights, for the trainer or commuting. Newer ones are saved for longer rides. All are washed in the machine and only the oldest and sorriest are put in the dryer.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,404 Posts
Six pair of bibs. (Three team, and three plain black). One of the black bibs can only be used indoors because of wear. All are washed and dried in machines.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
4 pairs of bibs, 2 of which are brand new just bought. I was rotating a couple pairs of cannondale shorts in there too, but they have finally seen the last of themselves after, oh, 6 YEARS of use. Those were some extremely well made shorts.

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
6 bibs, 2 shorts. But some need to be retired, and one other moved to my race bag as "emergency" uniform (stuck in the bottom in a plastic bag for the day you forget your shorts or jersey).

·
pass the hot sauce
196 Posts
Only bibs... unfortunately I have more of them then I actually need (10 or so). :rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree with others, machine wash (cold), tumble dry (low). No hand washing here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have 5 bibs, one winter tights and one pr of knickers. I take them right into the shower with me after a ride, massage a good slug of cetaphil cleanser into the chamois, rinse and hang on the shower head. They're ready to go the next day.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
Hanging on the hanger in my closet I have 5 pair of Nalini Base bibs that get regular use. Also two pair of Exte Ondo bibs that see a bit less use and a couple of pair of Assos that I use in a pinch (they're a bit old.) Seasonally I add one pair of Assos knickers and one pair of PI winter bib-tights. In the drawer, two pair of pretty old PI Ultrasensor shorts that I use on my spinner or perhaps for a 5 mile maintenance check-out ride.

·
Registered
499 Posts
4 pair of shorts, but one really sucks and never gets worn. I have to do laundry quite frequently.

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
shortless

6 Bibs no shorts

1 - Team (Pacitimo?)
1 - Giordana
2 - PerformanceBike Gel
2 - Assos F.I. Mille A.310 Bib Shorts

Ride Safely!

Joe

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Three sets of bibs, probably 5 or 6 pairs of shorts.

I never wear the shorts, though, unless I'm out of bibs, which is rare. My wife only has one set of bibs and two pairs of shorts (one of which she doesn't like much), and more importantly, only one winter jersey and two summer ones, so she winds up doing bike clothes laundry about the time I'm wearing my last set of bibs.

When she gets another jersey or another pair of shorts, I'll get another set of bibs, to keep the laundry cycle moving.

Of course, I have to do regular clothes laundry before she runs out of socks or underwear, so it probably evens out.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
9 bibs

2 shorts

I only use about 4 of them. The others are part of my hoard. I'm a hoarder.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This stuff adds up! 12+ bibs, 20+ shorts

I've been riding for decades, racing for years. I've got 6 years worth of accumulated team kit, plus all my other stuff. I toss out at least a couple of pairs of shorts or bibs each year, but they seem to pile up faster than I can wear them out.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Sintesi said:
9 bibs

2 shorts

I only use about 4 of them. The others are part of my hoard. I'm a hoarder.
Hoarding is good. Hoard before your favorite manufacturer discontinues the model, changes the style, and raises the price. Same goes for cycling shoes.
When I buy bibs, I only buy one pair at a time, as a tester, to see if I like them. If they prove themselves, I buy more. I'd never buy four pair, sight unseen, and chamois untested.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts