Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been about 2 weeks since I did my 1st fixie conversion, and I haven't taken the rear wheel off and flipped it to the freewheel side yet. As a matter of fact, I can't see that I ever will, unless I put a bail-out freewheel on there for hills.

How many of you running fixed either use a flip-flop, or run another SS bike?

I do still have an old Kuwahara MTB/cruiser that is SS, but I really only use it to run to the store, as it has a rack and pannier on it.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I rode fixed for many years before deciding to try ss. I liked it and found practical use for certain rides so I built a dedicated ss roadie.

My reasoning for not trying ss years earlier was that since I had a geared bike I didn't see the point of having a single speed. I was wrong......it's not the same...

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I use mine as a training/pit bike for cross. Cross is insane enough without trying to do it on a fixie....

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
roadfix said:
I rode fixed for many years before deciding to try ss. I liked it and found practical use for certain rides so I built a dedicated ss roadie.

good point...I have one bike that is set up flip/flop and it's alway on fixed..I can't remember ever flipping to the free side.

All my SS rides are on a dedicated SS bike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the route I think I'd take also...I just think it would be too much hassle to constantly flip the wheel.:thumbsup:

Now...the search begins for a nice old frame with horizontal drop outs! The problem is...everyone on Craigslist thinks anything older than 10 years is "vintage" and wants a ridiculous amount of money for them.

roadfix said:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pretty much fixed

I have flip flops on both my bikes but have only used the fixed side when I ride. I did use the SS when I let a friend try one and he was not comfortable with the fixed. I keep the SS for the time I will be too tired to finish fixed.
Ken

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I ride more SS than fixed. I get the whole "connection to the bike" thing with riding fixed but personally I like the flow of a SS that I never got riding fixed. Fixed feels locked in to me where SS feels smooth and flowing. Fixed feels heavy to me while SS feels light. I like to jump, bunny hop, and generally fool around with the terrain I ride over. Being able to coast allows me to do that. I am not ashamed being a coaster!

singlecross

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
easier to build another bike than flip a wheel.............welcome to Road Bike Review................

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm thinking about purchasing a freewheel as there are times I don't want to spin so fast on descents.
I do love riding fixed though. Nothing wrong with enjoying the merits of both.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
easier to build another bike than flip a wheel........
:lol:....so true....

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a SS MTB and a fixed gear, but that doesn't really count. Fixed mountain riding is for the technically gifted and insane, whereas fixed road riding really isn't that much different than regular SS road riding if you have brakes and use them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have three bikes. One always fixed, one always SS, and one with a mess of gears. They all get ridden quite a bit, but about half of my riding is on the SS since it's my commuter. The other half is fairly evenly divided between the fixie and the geary. They each have their pluses and minus. I'd hate to be restricted to any one or even two types of riding.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I ride FG 99.9% of the time.
I don't use a Flip/Flop. Keep it Simple; FG - Clipless - Brake.
If I wanted to Flip, I would use my SS, but I can't remember the last time I rode SS.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
SS here, bumpy unpredictable roads, unpredictable drivers and hilly terrain make a fixie too much work. I ride to enjoy it not just to ride.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't rode road ss since I tried fixed, but I used to in the Winter.

There is a 2 day charity bike ride I'm doing in May with a lot of climbing (and descending!). I want to ride it fixed, to take myself out of contention for "Winner of the Charity Bike Race (I mean ride) Competition". It will however be reassuring knowing I have a freewheel on the other side in case the hills get to be too much.

I've been switching between fixed and free offroad this Winter. Mostly fixed, but some of the more technical spots are kind of tricky.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I guess I do belong here. I built up single speed bike instead of flipping the wheel! I have one single speed and one fixed, both conversions. I ride them both about the same. I can't remember the last time I rode the road bike.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
lonesomesteve said:
I have three bikes. One always fixed, one always SS, and one with a mess of gears. They all get ridden quite a bit, but about half of my riding is on the SS since it's my commuter. The other half is fairly evenly divided between the fixie and the geary. They each have their pluses and minus. I'd hate to be restricted to any one or even two types of riding.
Ditto. I flipped my commuter to SS as I have a dedicated fixie. SS is just "mellower" for the brain-dead ride to work and back. I ride the fixie a lot, but my geared bikes get hauled out for longer, less than flat rides.

I like 'em all!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kiwisimon said:
SS here, bumpy unpredictable roads, unpredictable drivers and hilly terrain make a fixie too much work. I ride to enjoy it not just to ride.
I have to agree on the bumpy roads...the first time I rode my fixie down a hill with some uneven pavement and potholes was an eye-opener! It's 2nd nature for me to stand and bunny hop potholes or uneven pavement on my geared bike, but trying it on a fixie, and forgetting I couldn't coast up to it was a bit sketchy!

I also had to walk up the last bit of a steep hill on that same ride...just couldn't turn to pedels over on that grade.

So, I guess both have their place. I can't see that I will switch completely to fixed. I still like my geared bike too much! As you say, I ride to enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.