Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with Valverde out, Illes Baleares loses their "clear" leader. They still have Karpets and Pereiro, but no clear leader.

Gerolsteiner cannot decide between Totchnig and Leiphimer.

CSC lost Basso and now has Sastre or Julich.

Disco has 4 guys - Popo, Hincapie, Ace and Il Falco.

T-mobile lost Ullrich and Sevilla and now has Kloden and Rodgers, but how much of a leader are they?

It's a year of uncertainties.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
55x11 said:
So with Valverde out, Illes Baleares loses their "clear" leader. They still have Karpets and Pereiro, but no clear leader.

T-mobile lost Ullrich and Sevilla and now has Kloden and Rodgers, but how much of a leader are they?

Gerolsteiner: Leiphimer

CSC: Sastre

Disco: Protect Hincapie and Savoldelli and let them work to assert themselves as the leader.

T-mobile: Protect Kloden and Rogers and let them work to assert themselves as the leader.

P.S. Rogers not Rodgers

·
Registered
302 Posts
Rogers likely for T-Mobile

In interview yesterday Rogers said T-Mobile's deferring their "decision" until after the long TT of stage seven to decide but I reckon they'll look after Rogers. Second in GC (by a second!), proven long TT rider and the kid can climb. He was brought in as a possible successor to Ullrich, now maybe here's his shot...
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!
Oui! Oui! Oui!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rocco said:
Gerolsteiner: Leiphimer

CSC: Sastre

Disco: Protect Hincapie and Savoldelli and let them work to assert themselves as the leader.

T-mobile: Protect Kloden and Rogers and let them work to assert themselves as the leader.

P.S. Rogers not Rodgers
thanks for the spelling correction.
The question is not who WE think should be the team leader.

The question is who IS the team leader, as defined by team DS.
It's ironic that Phonak, which in the past had split loyalty between Landis and Pereiro, may be one of the more "organized" teams this year in terms of their GC leadership.

In addition to Menchov at Rabobank and Evans at Davitamon-Lotto - even though both teams have other agendas.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
After the first ITT, a few teams will find out who their GC leader is but most will realize that they have no GC contender.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
55x11 said:

This probably would of been the best year to run the tour via nationalities rather than team.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tour is too wide open. Can't listen to managers or riders.

In years past managers and riders would talk freely and HONESTLY about who their leader was, because it was quite obvious. No reason to bs and look like morons.

This year is completely different. Bruyneel talks about having 4 possiblitities and we'll just have to see how the race unfolds. I think this is pretty smart bs. Bruyneel is the kind of guy who knows exactly who the soul leader is and the plan to get him the highest gc spot.
He never has been the kind of guy who says, "we'll just see how the race unfolds."

Same deal with T-mobile. Kloden looks to be their leader, but Rogers is making a compelling case. Some riders on Mobile have probably been told to play up Rogers and appear as turncoats to Kloden. They can't play quite as many headgames as Disco.

Sure bets: Phonak-Landis
Gerolsteiner-Leipheimer, don't be fooled by Totchnig

A little harder: CSC-Sastre, then Julich
Mobile-Kloden, then Rogers
Baleares-Periero, then Karpets

?: Disco- Paolo, Popo, Ace, I think Johan knows Hincapie can't climb with the best. We know George will be golden in the TT. He'll have to crush both TT if he is to be the leader.
Euskatel- would say Mayo but he's already down a bit, Zubeldia

Simoni, Cunego not worth mentioning

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JohnnyCat said:
In years past managers and riders would talk freely and HONESTLY about who their leader was, because it was quite obvious. No reason to bs and look like morons.

This year is completely different. Bruyneel talks about having 4 possiblitities and we'll just have to see how the race unfolds. I think this is pretty smart bs. Bruyneel is the kind of guy who knows exactly who the soul leader is and the plan to get him the highest gc spot.
He never has been the kind of guy who says, "we'll just see how the race unfolds."

Same deal with T-mobile. Kloden looks to be their leader, but Rogers is making a compelling case. Some riders on Mobile have probably been told to play up Rogers and appear as turncoats to Kloden. They can't play quite as many headgames as Disco.

Sure bets: Phonak-Landis
Gerolsteiner-Leipheimer, don't be fooled by Totchnig

A little harder: CSC-Sastre, then Julich
Mobile-Kloden, then Rogers
Baleares-Periero, then Karpets

?: Disco- Paolo, Popo, Ace, I think Johan knows Hincapie can't climb with the best. We know George will be golden in the TT. He'll have to crush both TT if he is to be the leader.
Euskatel- would say Mayo but he's already down a bit, Zubeldia

Simoni, Cunego not worth mentioning
Agree, except for Baleares I would say Karpets first, then Pereiro. Disco is a crapshoot, and I totally agree about Hincapie. I would put them in this order: Popo, Ace, Savoldelli, Hincapie. But all 4 could be real close.

·
Registered
53 Posts
JohnnyCat said:
How is talking about multiple possibilities going to help in any way? The sprinter's teams are going to be doing all the work before Saturday anyway, and it's not like the peloton would let any of those guys go on a long breakaway in any event. So what's the incentive to naming a leader before Saturday and the ITT? What would Discovery even do differently if they had named a leader?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
ebroil said:
How is talking about multiple possibilities going to help in any way? The sprinter's teams are going to be doing all the work before Saturday anyway, and it's not like the peloton would let any of those guys go on a long breakaway in any event. So what's the incentive to naming a leader before Saturday and the ITT? What would Discovery even do differently if they had named a leader?
That's what I keep wondering! I would extend it all the way to the mountains. Until they see how everyone is climbing, I think it extremely unlikely that any of the "favorites" are going to be given any freedom.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ebroil said:
Bruneel should name Pavel Padrnos the leader. Then when Popo and Ace attack on the mountain, everyone will be like: "Whatever - those are pretenders, the real Discovery leader is Padrnos, as long as our guys don't lose time to Padrnos, we are Ok". It's called "an old switcharoo".

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.