Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While packing and shipping my bike for travel to San Diego (for the <a href="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=51572">RoadBikeReview SD Gathering Ride</a> ), I had to break the chain twice. Once at home to ship it, then put it back together (no chain problems for 3 days/90 miles of riding), then break it again, to ship it home.

For my frame's safetys sake, I had to remove the rear derailleur and thus, the chain; in order to fit the frame in the box (I got a free cardboard bike box from the LBS.) Shipped via DHL. No problems with DHL, fortuntately!

The chain is a campy chain, marked C-10 on each link.

My question is, how many times can a chain be broken (intentionally, with a Park chain tool), then reattached before I should worry about it's reliability? Twice? Five times? Indefinite if done properly each time?

Thanks for your comment.

-g

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why not get a ConneX-link for Campy by Wipperman and not have to worry at all? Or a Super link? Everytime you break the chain, and drive the pin back in or use a replacement pin (Shimano) it is a little bit weaker. But chains are pretty strong and i used to break my chains nearly 20 times w/o any problems. But with master links, I no longer have to worry. I simply refuse to deal with pins any longer, and I've never had a masterlink open on me so long as I put it together properly.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
None....

If you've been pushing a pin out and then just reinstalling it, you should trash that chain immediately. Campy 10 chains can be joined either with the original HD-L pin, when new, or a wipperman connex link. If you have to break the chain, you should remove the HD-L pin and install the connex link. Flush-pin chains should never be rejoined without a special pin or link.

Campy offers a ridiculous method for rejoining the chain with several links of new chain and an HD-L pin on each end. This chain section costs about $15.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Why, oh why, oh why?

Ignoring the issue of how many times you can break a chain, I can't for the life of me understand why you had to break it even once to ship the bike. If the RD had to be removed, you just unscrew the anchor bolt and swing it up out of the way into the rear triangle. No need whatsoever to remove the chain. I've shipped many bikes and never had to break the chain.

And like everyone else said, get a Wipperman link.

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the tip on the Wipperman link. I don't plan on having to break my chain any more, any time soon, but I'll keep it in mind.

Removal of the RD was necessary because I was packing it into a very narrow box, and resting the dropouts and stays on the foam padding. Plus, with Colnago chromed stays, I wasn't taking any chances. I too, have shipped bikes before with no need to break the chain, but this time, with this box and this bike, I did. Not that hard to understand, really.

-g

1 - 5 of 5 Posts