Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the thread about which tube to buy. Personally, I get Giant tubes from the local shop. I think it was $4 or so last time.

I use on average 1 new tube per 2000 miles! I'm seeing posts about people buying 10 tubes on sale, how many years is that? For me it would be more than 3 years and maybe 5 years of new tubes. My tires get replaced faster. Yes, I do replace my tubes pretty much every time I flat.

So, how many tubes do you expect to use this year? How many per mile?

· Non non normal
10,183 Posts
I typically average around 1 tube/1000 miles of riding. I ride kevlar belted tires. I usually get flats from an assortment of reasons. A piece of wire, I hit a big rock and pinch flat, pick up a long sharp object that defeats the kevlar (usually when the tire is almost worn out). I buy tubes on sale at 2 bucks each and for ten bucks a year I don't patch, I give tubes away that need patched.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Midwestern Biker Dude said:
depends on luck and tire wear, but prolly 3-4 tubes/yr.

· Registered
432 Posts
Hmmm.. gone are the days.

I usually dump my tube when it's finally got five patches on it. I carrry a spare tube or two with me on my bike rides. I change the tube when I get a flat, only after having carefully checked my tire for an imbedded object. After I pump up my tire with a new tube in it, I'll check it as I ride every few miles to see if it's holding up. I've got a few tubes home, brand new, that are actually three years old, never used. I have three or so patched tubes at home and two in my kit on my bike. It amazes me that so many people (apparently quite a high percentage) nowadays throw away a perfectly good tube, simply because they don't care to learn how to find the hole and patch the tube!

I don't bother to patch a tube on the trail. I keep my tubes in zip-lock sandwhich bags to keep things clean. I also put talcum powder in the bags so tubes are easier to work with because they are slippery. When I get home, I take the tube that has a hole in it out of the baggie. I've kept everything in my kit clean this way. It takes me maybe 15 minutes start to finish to find the hole, sand a bit around it (sanding is just to remove a surface film on the tube, not to grind off molding seams). I pump the tire up until it's a big sausage shape (puts enough pressure in that I can find the leak by touch, or if not, a good stream of bubbles under water with some dish detergent in it). I dry the area with a paper towel, put the glue on with my finger, wait the five mintues or so, then pull the backing off the patch and put it on. I'll flatten it down well and leave it for a while, then deflate the tire. I'll then re-inflate the tire and re-check for a leak where I patched it (learned the hard way, always to check my work). I'm done. I let the air out, wrap the tube up so it fits in the baggie, put a bit of baby powder in the bag, and I'm done, good spare ready to use.:rolleyes:

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Use them till the patches overlap, maybe 2-3 a year

I don't think I've ever deliberately thrown away a patchable tube, but I don't keep track of the mileage I get on them. they don't seem to wear out...occasionally I rip off a stem, or I'll leave some tubes "to be patched" lying around until they get old and crack or I bundle them up with miscellaneous junk and haul them away when I'm cleaning the garage. The ones in my commuter (converted mountain bike) have been in there at least four years, maybe 2000 miles.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Depends on how many flats. I don't patch the tubes, just replace. Some times I go months without getting one and then they come in back to back rides. When I start getting a lot, the tires get replaced. If I ride in the rain, the number of flats increases. I probably have 5 or 6 tubes in the basement waiting to fill any used out of the seat bags. 3 Seatbags with 3 tubes in each. Guess I have quite a few tubes around.

· Registered
162 Posts
What we're really talking about here are tires & durability...

Tubes are not a factor as much as the tires with which one rides upon. I was averaging about a dozen to a dozen-&-a-half flats per season until last year when I tried these tires & did not flat once, while maintaining little if any rolling resistance.

http://schwalbe.com/gbl/en/bicycle/on_tour/produktgruppe/?gesamt=84&ID_Produktgruppe=21

I've used them on short rides, solo & club rides, centuries & touring....they wear very well, cost about the same as regular upgraded tires, give a great ride, & best of all---NO FLATS !!!

· Registered
650 Posts
I patch my tubes but only when the weather is bad and i dont want to get wet on the bike or the tour is on tv. I use about 3-4 tubes a year and throw them out when i get to about 2-3 patchs per tube. i only race on non patched tubes.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Midwestern Biker Dude said:
I have been reading the thread about which tube to buy. Personally, I get Giant tubes from the local shop. I think it was $4 or so last time.

I use on average 1 new tube per 2000 miles! I'm seeing posts about people buying 10 tubes on sale, how many years is that? For me it would be more than 3 years and maybe 5 years of new tubes. My tires get replaced faster. Yes, I do replace my tubes pretty much every time I flat.

My experience is about like yours, maybe a bit less longevity. There are a lot of folks that run stupid-high pressure, thinking that they are reducing their rolling resistance. They're not, but they are creating tire/tube combos that are so hard that they can't deform around anything, so puncture at almost anything.

· Registered
432 Posts
speaking of tire pressure. I read a good example that clarifies things for the guys who think pumping a tire to 120lbs is a good thing. Blow a balloon up hard. Drop it on the end of a pair of scissors. It will go pop. Now, just blow a balloon up so it is round and soft. Drop it on the same scissors and it will just bounce off. It's the same effect with tires. There are tire pressure charts around online (google for them or go to Sheldon Browns's site). I follow the reasonable reccomendations and that reduces the flats I get, let's me corner faster and the ride is less harsh, to boot.

I sat here trying to think the last time I bought tubes. I think I only average getting one new tube a year, if that. I put a lot of miles on my bike in a year's time, as well.

· Registered
67 Posts
What do you define as a season? Three months? A year? When it's not raining? When I'm lucky I usually can go w/o a flat for about 1,500 miles. But like some of the other posters, I usually would patch a tube around 3 times before I replace the tube.

· Registered
291 Posts
I patch the tubes maybe twice then that's it. The main reason I end up throwing tubes is slow leaks. I don't have the patience to track them down. I maybe buy 4-6 tubesw per year.

Actually I don't always throw the tube. One can find all sorts of creative uses for parts of an old tube. On the MTB they are great chain guards. On the MTB I also put a bit of road tube where the seatpost enters the frame. This keeps the dirt out of the junction when lowering the saddle for downhill.

· Registered
291 Posts
Jinxed...The Gods hate me what do I do?

I knew it. I should never have posted to this thread...or even botherd to read it. Maybe you should save yourself and close this thread now. I did a ride today I have been training really hard for and had not one, but TWO flats (yes I did check the tire the first time, it was two different punctures) within 15 minutes of each other on a road I have used dozens of times before with no problems. It really set my time back.

So how do I make things right with the Gods? Have they finished having their way with me or is there more to come?

· Registered
625 Posts
Thorn resistant @ performance

I usually do not get flats nor go thru tubes.... For a touring bike I use the specialized armadillo on the back wheel... I also use the performance thorn resistant tubes, They are like solid rubber... So do the math, a little extra weight on the tyres & tubes... or flats...

On the fronts I use specialized tubes and kevlar lined tyres....

For racing I use the thin tubes and replace then ever year.... I ride on kevlar lined tyres 700X20's... If I get a flat the tube gets tossed... Period...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.