Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Madone came with a Tiagra 12-30 cassette (105 shifters/der.), which isn't ideal for the flat crits I've been racing the last few weeks. I picked up a SRAM 12-25 cassette off of Ebay (probably Apex, not totally sure because the guy didn't label it but it was only $15). I put it on my race wheel and put the 12-30 on my spare wheel that I use for the trainer. It seems that when swapping between the wheels, there's a huge amount of adjustment required in terms of cable tension. It's such a huge difference that I had to count the SRAM cassette to make sure it's 10 speeds! I know that the spacing between the cogs themselves is the same between the brands, but is it possible that I'm missing a spacer beneath the SRAM cassette that is required when using it with Shimano shifters, or maybe the different wheels have different adjustment requirements? The "race" wheel is a Vuelta Corsa Superlite, the backup is the Bontrager rim that came with the bike. I'm new to brand mixing, so I just want to be sure I'm not missing something basic.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
It could be where the cassette sits on the wheel compared to the derailleur. Sometimes it will be the stops that are not set properly though when switching wheels. Be carefull, you could end up shifting the rear mechanism into the spokes or jaming the chain between the wheel and dropout.

There is no spacer that you are missing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My Madone came with a Tiagra 12-30 cassette (105 shifters/der.), which isn't ideal for the flat crits I've been racing the last few weeks. I picked up a SRAM 12-25 cassette off of Ebay (probably Apex, not totally sure because the guy didn't label it but it was only $15). I put it on my race wheel and put the 12-30 on my spare wheel that I use for the trainer. It seems that when swapping between the wheels, there's a huge amount of adjustment required in terms of cable tension. It's such a huge difference that I had to count the SRAM cassette to make sure it's 10 speeds! I know that the spacing between the cogs themselves is the same between the brands, but is it possible that I'm missing a spacer beneath the SRAM cassette that is required when using it with Shimano shifters, or maybe the different wheels have different adjustment requirements? The "race" wheel is a Vuelta Corsa Superlite, the backup is the Bontrager rim that came with the bike. I'm new to brand mixing, so I just want to be sure I'm not missing something basic.
I switched from a 11-25, 105 cassette to Sram OG-1090, 11-25 and i can tell you, it was more than cable tension needed! The gearing was completely off in the rear. Sram cassette was much closer to spokes. Works splendid once set up though:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a spare rear wheel to use on my trainer. The spare wheel has a 9 speed cassette but my bike uses a 10 speed cassette and 10 speed chain. What will I need to make the spare wheel compatible with my 10 speed setup on my bike? All parts are Shimano by the way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ive generally found that cassettes from same manufacturer can be swapped out without needing adjustment. Just put a sram cassette on my wheel to replace shimano one and had to adjust limit screws and tension. If you are swapping a lot I would stick with one manufacturer to avoid frequent adjustments, and to avoid the likelyhood of shifting into the spokes if you aren't super careful with limit screw settings.

Damon: get a 10 speed Shimano cassette. Wont work otherwise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.