Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Is it odd

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get my haircut by the same girl probably 90% of the time over the past several years. she sent out a postcard to her customers for 20%. when she went to tell me how much, she used the calculator on her phone. i thought she was texting somebody and really didn't think much at first. after knowing she used a calculator, i was a little surprised. don't most figure this stuff out in their heads?

i think she probably went to it more out of habit than not being able to figure it out, but still found it odd. am i wrong to find it odd?

fyi, it was 20% off of $25.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
calculating tips and percent off is the only math I still do in my head.....

We were over at friends tonight calculating some college costs and i took out my Blackberry and starting adding up about 4 numbers...and they were nice round numbers too....I've really dumbed down when it comes to math....

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Very little. I got busted once counting on my fingers........

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
must be that New Math, Integrated Math, or whatever that garbage is they teach kids these days

Actual first grade math test question:

If math were a color, what color would it be? Why?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
all of it, if I can't do it in my head, I probably can't do it.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
You wanna confuse the heck out of someone? Next time you go to the gas station, pre pay for 10 gallons. Watch in amazement as the clerk stares blankly at you. I had the clerk actually fess up and say he didn't pay attention in math class and wasn't capable of figuring out 10 gallons at $1.94.

As for myself, I always try to do the math in my head. A trick I used to perform was to keep a running total of all the groceries in the cart, then tell my wife what the total will be when we check out. It's such an easy trick to do too.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I would say i spend 20 minutes in the morning doing math and another 35 minutes in the evening - so I do 65 minutes worth everyday.....

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Wow. I could see her having difficulty if the number were something odd like $17.50, but $25.00, man, that's just kinda sad.

The best is when the bill comes out to something like 18.67 and you give the cashier 20.67 so that you only get paper back and they get confused.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
It takes you that long in the bathroom?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Qstick333 said:
I would say i spend 20 minutes in the morning doing math and another 35 minutes in the evening - so I do about 85% of 65 minutes worth everyday.....
Nice... :)

fixed it anyway...

·
...?
1,481 Posts
depends on what it is and how important accuracy is. Like when I'm grocery shopping I try to keep a rounded up total, like if something is $1.79 it's $2 in my head. It makes it a lot harder to go over my super tight budget that way, and getting to the register and having the total be less than I came up with is way better for my wallet than being over, and leaves room for candy.

Even numbers like the OP's example, I can do no problem in my head, but something like 7% off of 16.95 I'm pulling out the calculator. I used to be really good at converting ounces to pounds in my head at the deli counter. I impressed some customers who didn't realize the scale was set to pounds in decimals.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts