Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With darkness setting in early these days, I want to try and squeeze in two good rides on Sat and Sunday. Unfortunately, my season just started in earnest early Aug due to coming off injury (knee). Thus, I don't have a decent base set up, maybe 300 miles, but a pretty good clip (for me at least). My current weekly mileage is approaching 70-80 miles spread among 3 workouts. So far I have been doing the Wed, Fri, Sunday with Sunday being the longest ride.

So question is, how do I ramp up or where do I need to be in terms of base mileage so I can get two decent (tempo pace) workouts on Sat and Sunday ?

·
Registered
429 Posts
About another 700 miles...

Really, what is your exact question? What does 'tempo' mean for you? You could do those tempo rides today and tomorrow, but what is your goal? Why are you doing them? Do you want to feel a certain way after or during the second ride?

I think at this point you just need to ride more often, with greater base fitness (probably not much with 300 miles since early Aug), you will benefit more from harder workouts and recover faster.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BeeCharmer said:
About another 700 miles...

Really, what is your exact question? What does 'tempo' mean for you? You could do those tempo rides today and tomorrow, but what is your goal? Why are you doing them? Do you want to feel a certain way after or during the second ride?

I think at this point you just need to ride more often, with greater base fitness (probably not much with 300 miles since early Aug), you will benefit more from harder workouts and recover faster.
My "tempo" pace for now, is 17-18 mph avg. flatground. My goal would be to ride Sat and Sunday both at that pace, probably 25 miles each ride and not incurr overuse injury.
I have been paying strict attention to the "10% dist, intensity" rule for ramping up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
For one, try doing your rides based on time rather than distance, that way as your fitness improves, it's not confined by a smaller distance than it can handle.

I think with 700 miles under your belt, you should be fine with back to back 25 mile rides. If it really does take a lot out of you, then take an extra day or two of rest, no big deal.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
MorganRaider said:
My "tempo" pace for now, is 17-18 mph avg. flatground. My goal would be to ride Sat and Sunday both at that pace, probably 25 miles each ride and not incurr overuse injury.
I have been paying strict attention to the "10% dist, intensity" rule for ramping up.
I came back from a knee injury a while ago. I think the 10% rule was really helpful. Good for you for sticking to it - it can be pretty tempting to start piling on too much training load when the knee feels good, something that tended to result in a flareup when it was me doing that.

Why not try one ride at tempo and the other at an easier pace? Or even both at an easier pace the first time. You should get a better sense of how much your knee can handle, and if you do two easy days next week and an easy and a hard day the following week, you'll be progressing yourself a little slower, which is not a bad thing. 10%/week can seem very conservative, but it ramps up surprisingly quickly. Soon you'll be back to thinking about volume in terms of what fits in your life, and next season is a long way off - no need to rush.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Two tempo works on both Sat and Sun? So, you want four tempo workouts in the span of 48 hours? That sounds like a lot. And not much fun either. Or, maybe you mean "at a good temp (pace)" and not actually "tempo workouts", which are usually long intervals at something a bit below LT?

There is nothing stopping you from riding as much as your arse can handle on the weekends. Do it at an aerobic pace, get plenty of sleep, stay hydrated, and rest on Monday. At this point, you need base aerobic fitness more than anything else - so ride for the sake of riding and have fun. Plenty of time in early spring to add in more structured workouts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is all excellent advice. Thank you all for weighing in. I am just frustrated I got cheated since my season just started early August. As a result I am chomping at the bit to get some workouts in before the snow flies. On the postive side, I got a new road bike that fits really well, and knee pain has gone away.

I will take it easy, build the aerobic endurance and then maybe try some back-back weekend rides much later on. Fortunately, I do have a trainer I can use to keep endurance up and perhaps there will be some decent weekends throughout the winter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not following. If you are trying to build up aerobic endurance, what's the problem with doing back to back "endurance" rides on Saturday and Sunday? Or one "Endurance" and one "Tempo"? If you are worried about your knee, just listen to your body after Saturday's ride and determine if it feels good enough for a Sunday ride. I think you are overthinking this.

When building your base, you should be putting very little stress on your muscles/ligaments, it should be about building endurance (your heart) compared to later phases of work when you are building muscular endurance/anerobic systems. Its those later phases where you need to be careful not to "over train". I typically ride 5 to 6 days a week while building base; mostly Endurance and Speed work, and typically 1 tempo work-out per week; of course its important to listen to your body especially when recovering from an injury. Put a plan in place, but make adjustments when your body is telling you that you need a rest. Just my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts