Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting up a build and I've never run housing and cables before. I know someone selling cables and housing for cheap, by the foot. But I am not sure how much of everything I'm going to need since I've never done this. The frame is on the way, so I can't really measure it out... anyone have a good estimate? It's a 56cm tarmac sl if that helps...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I usually get 6 ft of shift housing and have a little left over. Brakes depend on how the stops are arranged. 4 ft works most of the time.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. How about the cables? How much for the front brake, rear brake, FD, and RD? I appreciate your help, sorry I'm such a newbie at all this!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Factory cables are sometimes slightly different lengths for Front and Rear Brakes and Der., but need to be trimmed to fit your bike. Pretty sure all the aftermarket cables for both are all the same size and you'll need a good set of cable cutters to get clean cuts. Also, Brake and Der. cables, like housing, are different size diameters and you need to be sure that the cable ends will fit your groupset.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
thanks. How about the cables? How much for the front brake, rear brake, FD, and RD? I appreciate your help, sorry I'm such a newbie at all this!
You need two brake cables and two shift cables of the appropriate width and with the appropriate ends to work with your controls (road or MTB brake levers, Shimano, SRAM or Campy, etc.)

If the seller is offering cable by the foot, walk away. :)

Personally, decent shift/cable is too inexpensive to make it worth buying cheap from "some guy" unless you know exactly what you are getting.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
If the seller is offering cable by the foot, walk away. :)

couldn't you just tie a knot in the end, or run it through the anchor and tie it in a knot?

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Cable length

livin4lax09 said:
You don't need to know cable length. Since the cables have heads on them (the end that goes in the brake lever/shifter), they come in standard lengths. They are always a little longer than you need. Just buy a front and rear of each (brake and shifter). Brake cable ends are different than shifter cable ends, and Shimano cable ends are too fat to work properly in Campy brake/shift levers.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
they come in standard lengths.
unless for tandems or bike fridays

Kerry Irons said:
Shimano cable ends are too fat to work properly in Campy brake/shift levers.
unless you file 'em down to fit

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright, thanks for the help everyone, fred I'll take your advice and just pay a visit to my LBS. 15% team discount, no shipping, supporting the local shop, and having help figuring out exactly what I need... I like the sound of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts