Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at buying my first road bike and have a few questions. First, I’ve been reading some threads that mention this is a bad time of year to buy a new bike. Is it really worth it to wait till October or November and keep commuting on my SS mtb with slicks?

Second, the two bikes I’m looking at are the TREK Madone 4.5C which is made of “TCT” carbon with 105/Ultegra drivetrain and Bontrager wheels for $1700. The other is a Fuji Team Rival with a “C-4” carbon frame, SRAM Rival drivetrain and Shimano 550 wheels that I can get for around $1350. Both shops have my size in stock. Does anyone think I could save $200 on either of those bikes by waiting 2-3 months? Is the Madone worth the extra $350 or is that price premium just based on the name brand?

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
frontierwolf said:
I’m looking at buying my first road bike and have a few questions. First, I’ve been reading some threads that mention this is a bad time of year to buy a new bike. Is it really worth it to wait till October or November and keep commuting on my SS mtb with slicks?

Second, the two bikes I’m looking at are the TREK Madone 4.5C which is made of “TCT” carbon with 105/Ultegra drivetrain and Bontrager wheels for $1700. The other is a Fuji Team Rival with a “C-4” carbon frame, SRAM Rival drivetrain and Shimano 550 wheels that I can get for around $1350. Both shops have my size in stock. Does anyone think I could save $200 on either of those bikes by waiting 2-3 months? Is the Madone worth the extra $350 or is that price premium just based on the name brand?
I checked the Fuji website, but couldn't find the Team spec'd as you describe, so I'm wondering if it's a demo or the bike shop swapped components??

You don't say if you've ridden either bike, but if you haven't, you should. How the bike fits, rides and handles will be more important, long term, than components that can be swapped out.

Just talking framesets, IME both companies make good CF bikes, but I'd give the edge to Trek here because you'll benefit from some 'trickle down' technology that's offered on their 5/6 series Madones - larger lower headset bearings being one.

As far as your question regarding price and when to buy? I can't offer an opinion on the Fuji because I'm not as familiar with their pricing, but $1,700 for the 4.5 is a good price, so that would make it a good time to buy! :)

· Registered
642 Posts
Does the Trek name have more cachet than Fuji? Maybe.
Is Trek a better bike? Debate-able.
Have you given both a test ride? How it feels to you should be the determining factor.

IMO, waiting for end of season sales can be a crapshoot. Maybe they won’t have your size at the end of the season. Different brands release their new models at different times of the year so sales may occur at different times and you won’t get a chance to shop sales head to head. Depending on the LBS, they put bikes on sale in anticipation of their new stock or they may wait until both models are on the show room floor.

In 07’ I decided I would get a Specialized Tarmac, but I was waiting for end of year sale. That bike never went on sale. My LBS sold it at full price all they through winter. In spring when the 08’ models hit the floor, they didn’t have any of the 07’s left. Luckily for me, Trek clearing out 06’ Klein’s in the fall of 07’and I got a great price. If there is any left, you should take a look at LeMonds. They’ve been dramatically reduced. If there are any left.

· Inching to 1000 (again)
1,050 Posts
The question you should be asking yourself is, “Is it worth $200 to be riding a nice new bike now, rather than waiting 2-3 or perhaps more months?” For some people that‘s four rounds of golf or a few dinners out. For others it’s a week‘s pay. Everyone‘s financial situation is different. We don’t know yours. For most of us, this is prime riding season, the time you would be getting the most use out of the bike. Many of the sales don’t begin until much later in the Fall. It’s a trade-off and only you can decide.

Both bikes seem like a good value for the money. In my opinion the Fuji is probably a better bike for the money, but I don’t know anything about either frame. If you are deciding between these two bikes, choose the one that fits the best.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
you could save a little money, or prices could continue to rise as dealer stock goes down and it is replaced by more expensive imports caused by a weakened dollar.
so it might go up...

what is the value of having that bike while we have the summer?

· AstroClimber
43 Posts
if $ is really an issue....recycle!

that is to say, buy a used bike. Tons of bikes get little use, much less than they're built for, and for commuting "bling" is the least of your worries. Pleanty here in the classifieds. Look around you locally using craigslist, etc.

Just $0.02 worth....

TH

· Registered
14 Posts
I don't know about US but here in UK you can get big savings with last years model, I saved £500 on a 2004 Trek Elite 9.8 in 2005 and have just saved £300 on last years Cannondale CAAD 9 and I honestly thought the older bikes better than the new ones.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
mrgoodcat said:
I don't know about US but here in UK you can get big savings with last years model, I saved £500 on a 2004 Trek Elite 9.8 in 2005 and have just saved £300 on last years Cannondale CAAD 9 and I honestly thought the older bikes better than the new ones.
I think the point is, finding last years model (2007) when you are 6 months into 2008 is tough.-- so you have to purchase new inventory.

To the OP, IMO, your local shop might take off $100 or so, but you don't really start to get serious savings until after Christmas. Then, you may indeed find a killer deal on the remaining stock they have on hand. However, you might find that you wait till January, and no one has your frame size left over. Then you are SOL, and missed another great season (right now) of riding.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Don't wait. Buy your bike as soon as possible and ride it till you can't ride anymore. Saving a few $$$ isn't worth getting the bike you want that fits like you want.

I had this bite me in the a$$ when I bought my car.. I waited till the model year was about done and ended up not being able to get my subaru Impreza in manual.. I got stuck with automatic.. and I didn't care for the 2008 model.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I'll try out the Fuji this weekend. They have just about every size in stock at Performance so maybe I'll find a good fit. Plus at Performance they have the 90 day price guarantee so it's basically taking me through any sales they have before October 13th.

For a little background on the Fuji Team Rival; I think it's a Performance in store only thing. It has Team Rival on the frame and a complete rival drivetrain. They have quite a few of them in different sizes, all identical and the guy said the carbon on that model is supposed to be better than the base team will have next year. I have a few pics below.

Thanks for the help and reassurance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.