Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out of college now and looking to upgrade and become a more serious rider. I got this bike new in 2006 for $4950. It was mostly used as a type of conditioning to keep me in shape for pole vaulting. A conservative mileage estimate would be under 2,000 miles. It is in mint condition with the exception of a couple small scratches. It has been well maintained - professionally tuned every summer.

Specs:

2005 Trek Madone 5.9 56cm / US postal Colors. OCLV 110 Carbon. All Dura Ace Components. Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Seat Post, Race X Lite Lux Saddle, Race X Lite AERO Wheelset. Race XXX Lite Neck, Stem, & Bars. Cateye Wireless Computer.

How much would I be able to get for this bike if I were to sell it?

I'm asking because the money I can get out of this bike would go into my new one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Depends on the market. If you're in a saturated market where quality used bike are often for sale on the Craigs, then seller's competition is stiff. But post it on Ebay and you might people from the rural areas of America willing to pay a higher price.

I live in Socal, and personally to me I see Trek and Specialized all too common, and folks around here who are a little serious into cycling look to buy Italian because it's status symbol, while the Treks and Specializeds are utility. Your bike is Socal market is about $1600-$1800 max, this is my estimate based on my own observations in the Socal market.

What are you thinking of getting new? it may not be worth it! Could be better to just keep the Trek. I ride my 1993 steel Casati just as fast as any guy with their lastest superduper carbon.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
yeah, keep it, ride it. If nothing else it will give you time to educate yourself and you can replace it later when you know better what would suit you. A new bike won't do anything for you that that one can't other give you a bath financially. Although, if your idea of a college student budget is $5K on a bike you probably don't care about that.

I'd probably pay about $1000 for it....but I'm cheaper than most and am by no means an expert on used bike values so perhaps I'm not even close.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I'm out of college now and looking to upgrade and become a more serious rider. ....
If you can't do well on that bike buying another/different one isn't going to help at all.

Spend your money on training, coaching, entry fees and travel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can't do well on that bike buying another/different one isn't going to help at all.

Spend your money on training, coaching, entry fees and travel.

I guess I should have mentioned that I have outgrown the Trek. My whole reason for starting this thread.

Speaking of, what other brands should I even be looking at? There is so much to choose from its overwhelming. I've been looking at 4k-6k bikes.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
what other brands should I even be looking at? There is so much to choose from its overwhelming. I've been looking at 4k-6k bikes.
If you don't know what you should be looking at... how have you arrived at the $4k-$6k budget figure?

We'll need more information than budget to offer you meaningful information - intended use, riding style, needs, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If you don't know what you should be looking at... how have you arrived at the $4k-$6k budget figure?

We'll need more information than budget to offer you meaningful information - intended use, riding style, needs, etc.
I want something to ride competitive fit. Fast, light, and good looking. Performance over comfort. Mostly for personal use. Some group rides and local events.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got it new in 2006 but didn't USPS end it's sponsorship at the end of the 2004 season?

This makes it a nine year old frame.
Not sure. I know it's a 2005. That being said, my question was how much I could reasonably sell it for. $2 or $2000... I don't really care. Seems like I could get 1000 out of it though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depends on the condition. Buying a used 6 year old carbon frame with 6 year old components and not knowing the history and mileage of the bike is kind of risky. Plus there is no warranty. I would say $1500 would be reasonable. I'd pay $1000 at most personally. Thing is if that frame fails then what? That is why I'd never by a carbon bike used.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depends on the condition. Buying a used 6 year old carbon frame with 6 year old components and not knowing the history and mileage of the bike is kind of risky. Plus there is no warranty. I would say $1500 would be reasonable. I'd pay $1000 at most personally. Thing is if that frame fails then what? That is why I'd never by a carbon bike used.

The bike is in excellent condition. Not that I could ever prove that to a potential buyer. I appreciate an honest answer though. 1-1.5k gives me a good idea of where I'm at.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I'm out of college now and looking to upgrade and become a more serious rider. I got this bike new in 2006 for $4950. It was mostly used as a type of conditioning to keep me in shape for pole vaulting. A conservative mileage estimate would be under 2,000 miles. It is in mint condition with the exception of a couple small scratches. It has been well maintained - professionally tuned every summer.

Specs:

2005 Trek Madone 5.9 56cm / US postal Colors. OCLV 110 Carbon. All Dura Ace Components. Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Seat Post, Race X Lite Lux Saddle, Race X Lite AERO Wheelset. Race XXX Lite Neck, Stem, & Bars. Cateye Wireless Computer.

How much would I be able to get for this bike if I were to sell it?

I'm asking because the money I can get out of this bike would go into my new one.

Thanks!
$1000-$1200 should be fair...

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
You will take a huge hit on that bike if you sell it. Why did you spend so much money on a nice bike only to want to sell it 7 years later barely broken in? And are you going to buy another expensive bike just to ride it only 2,000 miles over the next 7 years? If so I would just get a $800 bike which would easily go 2,000 miles trouble free over 7 years. Seriously, I would just keep what you have, it's barely broken in, it still has at least 60,000 miles left.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You will take a huge hit on that bike if you sell it. Why did you spend so much money on a nice bike only to want to sell it 7 years later barely broken in? And are you going to buy another expensive bike just to ride it only 2,000 miles over the next 7 years? If so I would just get a $800 bike which would easily go 2,000 miles trouble free over 7 years. Seriously, I would just keep what you have, it's barely broken in, it still has at least 60,000 miles left.
Yet, it does not fit me.

I pole vaulted in college. I am no longer able to pole vault on that competitive level. I need a new replacement sport (cycling). I have the means and money to do it up right. Why should I waste my time on a bike that is too small for me?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not sure were you are but that bike would bring $1k - $1,200 here in Nor Cal on CL. If you are not in a hurry test the waters on your local CL and start around $1,800 as you can always come down. I have a 2004 Trek pretty much same as yours but with Ultegra I bought last year for $800, the original owner had only put 250 miles on it and it looked (still does) showroom new, felt like I stole it. It came with all the books & literature that they come with new and if you still have that for your bike it may help keep the $$$ up on the sale? Good Luck!

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I have the means and money to do it up right. Why should I waste my time on a bike that is too small for me?
Ignore the naysayers, cycling needs guys like you so that a promising high-school or college kid can afford to get something race-worthy.

With your budget I'd go right past carbon to custom Ti.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure were you are but that bike would bring $1k - $1,200 here in Nor Cal on CL. If you are not in a hurry test the waters on your local CL and start around $1,800 as you can always come down. I have a 2004 Trek pretty much same as yours but with Ultegra I bought last year for $800, the original owner had only put 250 miles on it and it looked (still does) showroom new, felt like I stole it. It came with all the books & literature that they come with new and if you still have that for your bike it may help keep the $$$ up on the sale? Good Luck!
Thanks

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.