Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a new race bike, and got a too-good-to-pass-up deal on a CAAD5 frame. It is 1cm bigger than my old ride. Will I notice a difference?

I'm 5'11.5", and previously rode a conventional geometry bike with a 56cm c-c top tube and seat tube. I used a 110mm stem with no rise, one 10mm spacer, and measured 69cm from the center of the BB to the saddle rails. I don't know the exact geometry, but it was more of a "sport road" setup than a "race" bike.

The C'dale is also conventional geometry, 57cm c-c top tube and seat tube. Standover won't be a problem, I've got a 100mm stem, but at my saddle height I won't have much post showing at all.

Will I notice much of a difference from this size change? Is it any disadvantage?

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
Argentius said:
but at my saddle height I won't have much post showing at all.
More than a fist-full is a waste...

or is that mouth full?

Anyways - I'd go too short before I'd go too big. It's easier to add on to the bikes length, but hard to take away.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
The TT and ST lengths among the bikes I own vary by at least that much and I do just fine. I set my saddle height, I set my fore/aft and I deal with the stem and bars accordingly. Can't really tell the difference in any of them except for the fact that I can't clamp the seatpost in my stand with the larger ones. You make it work. The amount of post showing would be one of the last reasons I'd turn down a good deal if I wanted the frame badly enough as long as it was not too long in the horizontal to get away with a 100 or 110 stem. (120 being my standard.)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Argentius said:
I'm building up a new race bike, and got a too-good-to-pass-up deal on a CAAD5 frame. It is 1cm bigger than my old ride. Will I notice a difference?

I'm 5'11.5", and previously rode a conventional geometry bike with a 56cm c-c top tube and seat tube. I used a 110mm stem with no rise, one 10mm spacer, and measured 69cm from the center of the BB to the saddle rails. I don't know the exact geometry, but it was more of a "sport road" setup than a "race" bike.

The C'dale is also conventional geometry, 57cm c-c top tube and seat tube. Standover won't be a problem, I've got a 100mm stem, but at my saddle height I won't have much post showing at all.

Will I notice much of a difference from this size change? Is it any disadvantage?
You really need to concentrate on the seat tube angle and top tube length. The STA will affect your saddle position fore and aft - though you can slide the saddle around or swap seatposts for more or less set-back. That fore and aft position is likely to be not too different to that on your 'old' bike - it's pretty much self-set by your body dimensions. With that roughly figured, you can then sort out a stem length - while this is adjustable, doing so invovles Bad Things like buying another stem ... :eek:

Having grown up with miserable riding positions set by the old English standards, where the saddle was nearly atop the top tube and the ensuing size of frame had a monstrously overlong TT for me, I'd much rather go shorter on the frame and make up with longer post/stem. THink very carefully before buying - it'll be a poor bargain if you spend this racing season in misery wishing you'd never seen the thing.

D

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
so long as the first bike wasn't big to begin with, I think you'll hardly notice the 1 cm difference. You will when you first get on it, but 1 cm really isn't very much and within the margin for error in the reach, which is one of most subjective dimensions and most easy to adapt to. The saddle height you likely can set exactly the same, as you can the fore-aft. you'll maybe feel a little longer.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Argentius said:

A big difference, that's how much. 1 cm more means that you now have to adjust your fit to account for 1,000,000,000,000,000 femtometers. Crap, that's a lot!

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
"does 1cm make a difference?"

i've checked with the experts, and my gf says no. it's all in how you manage the cm's that you have.

alienator....after seeing that conversion, i'm starting to think the gf is just being nice. that seems like a huge deal... :) i'm going to convert into km, or some larger "unit"

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
seriously

argentius...i've ridden frames within 5 cm of one another. in building up economic fixies for all purpose riding, i've jumped on "cooler" frames from time to time. i've gotten comfortable on everything from a 55 c-c seat tube (55.5 tt) to a 60 cm seat tube. yes they tend to handle differently. but, if you can get your KOPS (or variation) to your liking along with your normal reach, 1 cm shouldn't make all that much difference. unless of course you let it get to your head for one reason or another. i'm very much your height, and i've just bought a bike that is just off from my normal set up (.5 tt). honestly, you'll be fine. again, i am purely speaking from physiological experience. my position ranges so much over the course of a few hourse, that 1 cm will not make or break me. angle of arm bend, torso position, 1 cm fore or aft on saddle, etc. i want to start with an ideal set up, but (IMO) you can fudge a size (esp. in 1 cm increments) if you get a great deal. as much as i read all of the very intelligent theoretical discussions on this board (and get caught up in the minutiae), i do laugh at times when actually riding. the very small numbers fade away in the real world (for the most part for me).

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
bigger bikes rule.. but at the same time, 110 stems are winners. if you had a 120 stem, i would say go for it... but i don't like 100 stems. that's my opinion, based on what i like..

·
Professional Lurker
242 Posts
Argentius said:

The larger bike should work fine; however, it is well worthwhile to doublecheck the geometry in terms of STA and HTA. If, for example, both the head tube and seat tube are slightly steeper, you will need to move your seat back slightly to retain the same saddle / pedal position. Having done this, with the longer top tube you may not be able to get a good fit on the bike without an even shorter stem.

And, in terms of stem length, I personally tend not to ride anything shorter than 110mm due to instabilities when riding no-handed (these are generally bump-induced and are very much dependent on fork rake and trail). I'm sure others have different opinions on this based on bike geometry, riding style, and riding position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts