Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm commuting a bit more this summer, and trying to optimize the routine. I started bringing clothes into the office on Monday (I drive on Mondays), but carry laptop and lunch/food with me on the bike for days I do the bike commute (actually it's a combo drive/bike commute). This morning (at 5:15 am in the dark) I found myself trying to remember if I left shoes or a belt at the office or if I needed to bring them in today. Then I started to wonder whether it would be easier to just carry everything back and forth, just so I don't forget anything or get confused (I tend to get confused). It gets a little heavy but not too bad. Then again, I'll definitely just leave my towel and toiletries at the office. Decision, decisions. :confused:

What do you all do?

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Work stuff is at work.

Riding stuff is on me.

Home stuff is at home.

Generally I do ride in my work socks and carry my underwear in my buttpack. Nothing else but a bit of food travels.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Things that I always need at work stay at work. So I have a pair of dress shoes to leave there, and a reversible belt. They stay there with the toiletries, forever. The toiletries get bought at a drugstore downtown near work, so they never travel. The towel (backpacking type -- dries fast, and absorbs a lot even when damp, and is very compact to carry) goes home each Friday to be laundered, and comes back in on Monday. I try to bring in the rest of the clothes once a week. So on that day the panniers and rack are loaded up, and the other days I can travel light (fanny pack with lunch, cellphone, wallet, misc. personal stuff). If you're driving once a week it's easy.

But leave the shoes (take the cannolli).

· Registered
1,002 Posts
What I leave at work: Shoes (1 black pair, 1 brown pair).

What my gym (next door to work) provides: Towels, shampoo, soap, hair dryer. I also sometimes pick up lunch from there in the morning. They have a great cafe, and will cook lunch at 7 AM if I ask them.

What I carry with me: Slacks, blouse, under things, dry socks, makeup, hair brush, hair spray, wallet.

I have the option of showering at my work instead of the gym, but that means the towels, shampoo, soap and hair dryer are my responsibility.Too much crap to take back and forth. Too heavy. I just bought a lock for a locker at work this weekend. I might give it a try showering here when I have a reason to drive by here and can drop off these things to keep in my locker. It honestly doesn't seem worth the 5 minutes it would save me.

I hear we're moving to a different building soon. The plus is that it's across the parking lot from my husband who also rides to work, so we could ride together. The downside is that he DOES have to haul his towel, shampoo, etc.

· Registered
1,364 Posts
I have a short commute and a pretty lax dress code (jeans or shorts in the summer, khaki's in the winter) but I typically carry the second half of breakfast and a snack (wheat corn muffin, banana, yogurt, some kind of energy bar if I plan on riding later that day or a nature valley bar if not), plus rain gear (EMS Overpants and a water resistant wind breaker). I leave a towel and a pair of shoes at the office.

· Seat's not level
19,392 Posts
The locker at the office has a dedicated pair of shoes and a belt. I stock it with 3 polo shirts, u-wear and socks. 3 small handtowels and basic toiletries. There is an accumulation of food/gels that are also in the locker.

I can commute 3 times before restocking anything. Nice to have everything already at the office if I decide to commute that morning if I want.

I leave the laptop and all work stuff at work. No time to do any work at home with the family and other parts of life. Work stays at work (for now)

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I have shirts, pants, socks, underwear, a reversible belt, two pairs of shoes, and toiletries at work. I can ride to work for at least 2 weeks without restocking. If it's a particularly bad day e.g. ice, snow, t'storms, or I'm not feeling well, I make a laundry run using the car. My commute is 36 miles round trip.

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
llama31 said:
I'm commuting a bit more this summer, and trying to optimize the routine. I started bringing clothes into the office on Monday (I drive on Mondays), but carry laptop and lunch/food with me on the bike for days I do the bike commute (actually it's a combo drive/bike commute). This morning (at 5:15 am in the dark) I found myself trying to remember if I left shoes or a belt at the office or if I needed to bring them in today. Then I started to wonder whether it would be easier to just carry everything back and forth, just so I don't forget anything or get confused (I tend to get confused). It gets a little heavy but not too bad. Then again, I'll definitely just leave my towel and toiletries at the office. Decision, decisions. :confused:

What do you all do?
In your situation, establish a routine and stick to it. Eliminate the thought or need for reliable memory.

I commute to various clients so I can't leave anything at work. These days I pretty much ride in my work clothes, which are barely passable as work attire.

· Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
I carry clothes, food, and miscellany with me. I am an indecisive female and can't commit to deciding a whole week's worth of clothes ahead of time. I tried it once and it was a raging failure. I'm small and can dress pretty casually, so my clothes don't take up much space. But definitely have one plan and stick with it. And always keep spare underwear at work in case you forget.

· abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I rode in today and the only thing I forgot was a hairbrush. I thought it was here but it must have made the trip home at some point by accident. Good thing I have short hair and I don't really care if I don't look purty.

I kind of need to take my laptop with me because I telecommute a couple times a week and I need that machine (can't use my personal machine at home).

I like the idea of having a routine, take the thinking out of it. So my plan is to leave personal items (eventually including a brush) at the office, along with a towel. I'll bring the clothes/shoes in on Monday, when I drive. I think that will work for me.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Having a routine is the way to go. There are three things I need to remember to bring... shirt, boxers, socks. The wallet, cell and company badge always have to be with me, no matter what mode of transport I use. Usually, I also bring lunch, but if I forget, it's no big deal.

I bought another pair of shoes that stay at the office, have another belt here, and all my shower supplies.

· Registered
5,844 Posts
Definitely establish a routine because it's too easy to forget stuff early in the morning if you don't. My routine:
-- I keep a Carradice Barley seatbag on my regular commuter bike. It has enough room for a shirt, t-shirt, shorts, socks, lunch, wallet, cellphone, tools and spare tube, batteries, etc. I bring clothes with me each day I ride that bike, whether I need them or not because the Barley rides better when it's full. For the same reason, I usually bring home some dirty laundry each day.
-- I generally drive once a week, and on those days I bring a clean towel, bulky clothes like jeans, food and drinks to keep in my refrigerator, and anything else I might need. On those days, I try to run any errands that require a car, and bring home any dirty laundry.
-- In my office, I keep a pair of shoes, a couple pairs of slacks, a couple of towels, shampoo and other shower supplies.
-- Once a week, if my supply of clean clothes is stocked up, I ride one of my faster road bikes to work with just a regular seatbag. It's fun to have 1-2 days a week when I can ride faster and lighter, and I usually average about 1-2 mph faster on those days.

· Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I leave all my clothes, a pair of shoes, towel, shampoo, soap, and deodorant at work. I carry the same things on my commute as I carry on other rides. The only real difference is that my bike has lights on it when I commute.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
..... My routine..........
It must feel pretty good to say that now. :thumbsup:

Didn't you start commuting just a couple of years ago? Did you ever imagine (before you started doing it) how much better bike commuting would make your working life?

Let's get out there and save a few more souls......

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
I carry pretty much everything. A full change of clothes, washing up stuff, lunch, bike stuff, etc., are all in my panniers. I'm in a cube farm with no storage space. I could probably leave some stuff here, but as others have said it's good to have a routine. I have all my clothes and toiletries packed in to one pannier so that I can grab the whole thing and head to the bathroom to get cleaned up and changed.

· Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
llama31 said:
I kind of need to take my laptop with me because I telecommute a couple times a week and I need that machine (can't use my personal machine at home).
Not even via VPN and Remote Connect? Snag an old desktop next time your work upgrades/updates. If they do that.

I'll second what others have said:
Black shoes, brown shoes and reversible belt live at the office.
Routine and then pare down/refine as you learn what works and what doesn't.

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Backpack, which contains:
• lunch (in a Gladware container)
• change of clothes (double-wrapped in two plastic grocery bags to avoid sweat seep-through)
• shoes (since I use clip style pedals/riding shoes for riding)
• wallet (contains ID, money, etc.)
• house keys
• garage door opener
• cellphone
• cellphone charger USB cable
• cardkey access card
• USB “thumb” drive
• spare batteries for highly-modified bike lights

All the other stuff I need (towel, washcloth, comb/hair grooming stuff, soap, shampoo, deodorant, q-tips, etc.) I have stocked up at work in my cubicle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.