Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was never as in tune to wheels until I got a set of Ritchey Protocal WCS wheels
it seems like no matter what bike I put these on - the bike rides much better

I have had lots of standard type wheels there are 32 or 36 spoke
with mavic rims etc - and shimano or campy hubs

but nothing seems to perform like these WCS wheels - they even smooth out the ride or different bikes I use them on

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Like the old saying goes,..............

"If it aint broke dont fix it!" Those "Ritchey" wheels must be doing you a good job. I'm starting to think along those same lines as my Ambrosios, really sweet! :p

· Banned
657 Posts
I love my Mavic Ksyriums w/ Continental Grand Pix 3000s best. Wheel weight is like a flywheel in a sports car transmission. The lighter, the faster the response, w/ the value seen at high RPMs changing gears. Takes less energy to spin.

· Soft
183 Posts
I guess I knew they mattered...but I finally got new wheels (open pros) on my low end bike (Trek 1200) and got rid of the damn armadillos that I put on them after a couple of flats with the stock bontragers. Anyway, I cannot shut up (trust me) about how much better the bike rides. I should have listened when people said it was the first thing I should upgrade. And all of this is just with a $200 wheelset and $75 worth of tires. Imagine how I'd feel with Ksyriums or the like.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
whateveronfire said:
I guess I knew they mattered...but I finally got new wheels (open pros) on my low end bike (Trek 1200) and got rid of the damn armadillos that I put on them after a couple of flats with the stock bontragers. Anyway, I cannot shut up (trust me) about how much better the bike rides. I should have listened when people said it was the first thing I should upgrade. And all of this is just with a $200 wheelset and $75 worth of tires. Imagine how I'd feel with Ksyriums or the like.
Ah I've got a 1200 as well. Upgraded to a Mavic Cosmic Elite, got it for $200 used. Truly amazing. Smooth, supple, stiff as hell, and you can really feel the aero advantage. That and the wheels on my 1200 weighed like 2100 grams or something. 1900 grams for the Cosmic Elites. They're heavy for racing wheels, but the aero advantage is great.
Something to try - Continental tires. Switched from Bontragers. Lets say that in my first mile I decided I'd never ride 'Tragers again, and it's not like I got sore on them. The Continentals are just that much better. I'm in love with the GP3000, and can't wait to try the GP4000.
-estone2

· Registered
41 Posts
Early this season, I switched out some mid weight wheels for some Dura Ace, 28 spoke, Velocity Aerohead handbuilts. The snap in the acceleration was noticeable and it felt as though there was nothing there while I was rolling at speed. Beautiful!

I'd been running Vredesteins and some high pressure Panaracers, both sets around 145psi. The ride felt good, or so I thought. About 1 month ago, I put on some GP4ks. Wow! The ride feels softer, but somehow more solid. Less skittery, I suppose. I love to corner with these. I rode my standard route for time comparison, and these were noticeably faster. Like 3/4 mph over an hour. I wrote that off to the day and conditions, but over the last three weeks, I've seen the same on many of my routes. (Garmin GPS Edge 305 measured.) I love the setup! BTW, I got the Continentals at ProBikeKit.com for just about $30 each.... :)

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
2faced said:
I've never tried but I assume my bikes would be a b-i-t-c-h to ride without wheels.
It kind of just hops along every time the crank hits the ground ;)
I found this out with a Huffy. Subsequently, I fell over.
-estone2

· Registered
129 Posts
wheels are pretty important huh. I had a carbon dream machine but ran out fo $ and didn't get wheels. the carbon record cranks were pretty trashed an i couldn't figure out why. Everything was clean and lubed?? U guys know why?

· Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
wheels

all road sensation and vibration is transmitted by the wheels through the bike and into you. IMO, that means well built wheels make the day. IMO

However, a well built wheel will not (except in a freaky TT scenario and long distance with a super duper proper aero set up) make you faster. Thats the rider and his/'her fitness:idea:

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
rruff said:
I think this thread is proof that the placebo effect is huge...
I disagree, but then I'm one that's been able to switch back and forth thru 6-7 pairs of wheels of various types from aero 1st gen Cosmics to GL330s.

Most of the wheels had Michelin 'training' tires mounted at roughly the same pressure so it wasn't just a tire/pressure thing. (the 34c cross tires I have on my Crosshairs DO feel MUCH better tho! NO vibration from the road! Woot!)

More often than not, I'm riding my Mavic/Reflex Ceramic wheels 'cause I don't see the need to beat up the nice stuff on training rides.

My $.02

M

· Registered
7 Posts
The quote on the Zipp web site is 4-8 watts savings not sure what they are comparing it to. But that is substantial.

Here is what I can tell you.
From a set of Shimano Ultegra Mavic Open Pro non butted 32 spokes to a set of Bontrager Race X lites with the thin bladed spokes. I also have a Low end VeloMax Easton) aero alum front wheel radial laced.
Acceleration is very noticable.
When I get up to speed (20 mph) yoou can feel the Mavics slow down from the eggbeater effect of the spokes. The VeloMax are in between and pretty cheap $135 for the front.
Stifness and ride comfort. I don't really notice a big difference.
The down side is the tighter the tolerances the more careful you have have to be.
I rode the Mavics on a dirt road race and no problems. I was hesitant to take the Bontragers . I'm 212 pounds so you know those wheels are screaming bloody murder.
For saving energy I would say it the biggest improvement you can do for your bike.

· Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
huh?

pillowsplat said:
The quote on the Zipp web site is 4-8 watts savings not sure what they are comparing it to. But that is substantial.

Here is what I can tell you.
From a set of Shimano Ultegra Mavic Open Pro non butted 32 spokes to a set of Bontrager Race X lites with the thin bladed spokes. I also have a Low end VeloMax Easton) aero alum front wheel radial laced.
Acceleration is very noticable.
When I get up to speed (20 mph) yoou can feel the Mavics slow down from the eggbeater effect of the spokes. The VeloMax are in between and pretty cheap $135 for the front.
Stifness and ride comfort. I don't really notice a big difference.
The down side is the tighter the tolerances the more careful you have have to be.
I rode the Mavics on a dirt road race and no problems. I was hesitant to take the Bontragers . I'm 212 pounds so you know those wheels are screaming bloody murder.
For saving energy I would say it the biggest improvement you can do for your bike.

8 watts is not alot, it is extraordinary. Out of context the number is useless, however, dependibng on the scenario, I wouild tend to have doubts on the number...IMO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.