Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a couple clubs in my area, one is $50/year, the other is $100/year

They offer a weekly group ride from April-October and some time-trial or races generally weekly.

I think $50 is reasonable but $100 is too much.

I was never in any club until last year and am wondering if these price are fair. This is in Ontario, Canada

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,575 Posts
Zip. LBS has rides of varying sorts every night when the weather is good.

· Registered
336 Posts
Is the $ for the ride or for joining the club? What comes with it? My local team is $80 per year ($30 in dues, $50 for a Jersey). Others are more, others less.

My other question is "What do you get with the dues?"

If you just want to ride with a group for fun, then 0.00 is the fee. Talk with your LBS for group rides.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. The cost used to be zero but the owner of the LBS is worried about liability and part of the $100 is membership in OAT (ontario assoc of triathletes) which costs $50 and includes insurance. The other $50 goes to the club

The $50 club is $25 insurance through OCA (ontario cycling assoc) and $25 to the club

You dont get anything - shirts etc...

· Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
I've heard of clubs that charge a non-member a couple bucks or three to join a club ride, so the non-member will be covered by the club's insurance. Kind of like buying a one-day racing license. I think these are typically large clubs that might be seen as having deep pockets.

Our little club charges nothing for our rides. We do have annual dues for those who want to formally join the club.

What do you get for your $50 or $100? Insurance? Sag support? It could be worth it, depending on what is provided and how much you need it.

/Okay, just saw your second post. So this is not really a charge for group rides, per se.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Nothing.

Perhaps this is a Canada thing?

I've never heard of a club charging, just to go on rides with them. I've seen larger clubs have some small "dues," but mostly they go to buying a jersey, and then you get in on the sponsor ship discounts and maybe they buy an end of season barbeque or the like.

· Registered
636 Posts
Some LBS are just happy to have you turn out in their kit for the free advertising out on the streets and if they are a good one they also dont mind what you turn up in.

There is acertain BS in Western Sydney that would only let you ride with them if you got your $$$$$ bike from them. Even if you did and got a part or other related bike stuff else where they would not let you ride with them.

· Registered
1,942 Posts
Nothing for the ride.

However, I did join a shop club team and I do ride with them. It was $75. But that included a Giordana kit (which is really comfy), and I get 15% off at the shop. That alone makes it more than worthwhile.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
There is a shop ride in the Chicago area that is like that.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Is this a club member only ride? There is a club like that in my area.

Clubs can charge what they want to.

My team's ride is an "open" ride. It starts at a local school, so that the shop is not responsible for things that "happen" on the ride.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Easiest way around any legal actions would be a signed waiver form. I know some local organizations that do that for group rides. If it is a shop ride, I would think it would be easy enough to have everyone sign-off before the first pedalstroke from the shop.

Otherwise in my area, no fee for group rides. You show up and ride. If you want to join a club, that is another story. For my club, $65 gets me a new jersey every year, discounts at our supporting LBS, and discounted merchandise through the club. Also some talk of them possibly covering some race registration fees.

I have a hard time thinking Canada could be more legitious than the US.

· Registered
128 Posts
At my LBS in Vancouver you need to be in the club to ride with them. It cost $125 the first year and $100 renewal after that. They have several diferent rides varying from "easy, leisure ride" to "high tempo". I have not been on any of thier rides yet and probaly wont as I think they are a pretty stuck up group. They also have several social events through out the year. Club gear is extra.

· Registered
629 Posts
My local cycling club has $55usd club fee yearly. For that you get a jersey, insurance, website/ride posting forum, and a end of the year social. Anyone can ride with us as long as they sign a waiver, we ask after your 3rd ride with the club if you plan on continuing that you be become a member.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.