Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between this and the Giant OCR2 (I might wait for both 09 models in which case it would by the Giant Defy).

I know the OCR is a little over 20 lbs and just wanted to see how the Allez compared.

This will be my first road bike so if you all have any additional suggestions it would be much appreciated.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Stiles87 said:
I'm trying to decide between this and the Giant OCR2 (I might wait for both 09 models in which case it would by the Giant Defy).

I know the OCR is a little over 20 lbs and just wanted to see how the Allez compared.

This will be my first road bike so if you all have any additional suggestions it would be much appreciated.

What year and model bikes are you looking at? There is no Giant OCR2, but there is an OCR C2, listed at $2,300. The Specialized Allez Elite lists at $1,200, so IMO the two bikes aren't in the same league.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Stiles87 said:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/road/1243/29270/

^ That's the 2008 OCR2 i was looking at.

I was looking at the 2008 Allez Double which is in the same range
(http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32189)

I'll probably wait and decide between the 09 models, but the only problem is Giant is stopping the OCR series and replacing it with the Defy series. Pretty much the same bikes though.
A couple of thoughts. First, I wouldn't worry about weight because considering the specs of both bikes, they're going to be very close. The most important thing is fit, and if you've ridden both out on the road and under the conditions you're going to be riding in, the one that feels best should have the edge. Beyond that, I like Specialized bikes, but the Tiagra shifters on the Giant are an advantage. The Allez has a double crankset and the OCR2, a triple. Depending on how hilly the areas you'll be riding are, the triple may have some advantages, especially if you're new to road riding.

Finally, be careful of waiting for the '09's, because all indications are that there's going to be a substantial price increase. That given, you may get more for your $$ by buying now, assuming the LBS's have (or can get) what you want.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I've tested the OCR and I'm planning on riding the Allez tomorrow. And you're right about the prices. The guy at my LBS said everything is increasing around 20% in price, but staying the same in quality! :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.