Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How Much Excess Fat Converted to Muscle When Weight Remains Constant?

2K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Loraura 
Fat does not convert to muscle. But you knew that.

You would have to test your body composition to see if your fat percentage has decreased since exercising. I'd be surprised if it has changed very much given that your weight has stayed constant. If you were on some heavy-duty weightlifting regimen, I might believe you'd replaced significant fat mass with muscle mass.

Exercise is only one piece of the weight loss puzzle. The other two (IMHO) are sensible, sustainable caloric restriction, and increased sleep. There is growing evidence that the body compensates quite easily to increased output (i.e. exercise) or decreased input (i.e. caloric restriction) alone, and will hold on to fat stores.

TomBrooklyn said:
During Mondays 10 mile ride, during which I did a half hours kayaking and a couple of hundred yards swimming, I stopped at a restaurant and had a huge Lobster dinner w/ lots of bread and stuff. Halfway though yesterday's 22 miler, I had a small candy bar, then ate dinner at a restuarant (Salmon, vegetables, potatoes--no bread at that one though--but when I got home I was hungry again so I had 3 bowls of cereal with honey on it.)

So yeah, I'm getting more hungry and eating more when I excercise more. But I figure some of what was fat weight ought to now be muscle weight if I weigh the same, no?
Are you taking the piss?

If not, and if you are actually trying to lose weight, you have to get real with yourself.

The sucky thing about being fat and trying to lose weight, is you have to think and act like a skinny person when you're still fat. It's reasonably easy to act like a skinny person when you are, in fact, skinny. Truly thinking and acting like a skinny person when you are fat takes a lot of faith and positive thinking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.