Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How Much Excess Fat Converted to Muscle When Weight Remains Constant?

2K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Loraura 
#1 ·
If someone who is very overweight rides and doesn't lose weight, how much fat has been converted to muscle?

For instance, since I started riding about 10 weeks ago, I've ridden at least 10 miles/week. My distances have been generally trending up as I get used to it. Yesterday I rode 22 miles, my longest ride so far, and that makes 30 miles so far this week. But I weigh the same as I did before I started riding. All my other activity levels are about the same. I'm 53, 5' 10", 275 lbs, and could probably stand to lose about 70+ lbs.

#27 ·
IMHO, if one is trying to lose weight, is feeling "full" or "satiated" during and after meals, then one is eating too much!

It's Ok to feel a bit hungry ... the body adjusts & the "cravings" go away... although it may be tough the first couple weeks. The worse thing is to feel slightly hungry, lose willpower, and binge on un-nutritious food (eg, a pint of Ben & Jerrys ice cream, 1/2 box of choco-sugar-fruit-loop cereal, a carafe of butter with the lobster, 16-oz steaks, etc).

#29 ·
My (very unprofessional) opinions on weight loss:

1)It will be much more difficult to see performance improvements while trying to lose weight. Since you are running a calorie deficit it'll be much easier to bonk during rides.

2)Losing weight isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Act accordingly, you wouldn't start a 50 mile race sprinting from the start line would you? Slow and steady will result in minimal muscle loss (maybe even muscle gain) while maximizing fat loss.

3)Weight loss: In order to lose weight you must create a calorie deficit. Counting calories helps when sizing out portions for snacks and meals but the best indicator is your body. You should feel very slightly hungry throughout the day. Never let yourself get to the point of starving and you should never feel "too full". If you're slightly hungry all the time then you have successfully created a calorie deficit.

Starving yourself is not sustainable, you will eventually fail and what weight you lose will be gained. Constantly feeling fully satisfied or even "too full" means you will be maintaining your weight or gaining weight.

Keeping your blood sugar relatively even through periodic healthy snacking (nuts, high fiber foods, fruits, vegetables) goes a long way to maintaining the proper level of hunger.

Weight loss is possible without excercise and may people become skinny this way.

If your goal however is to be at a healthy weight and be lean then you need to do both. Once you reach your weight loss goal then you should be eating to the point where you're barely full and change your diet on a monthly basis to meet goals (which may not be weight-oriented anymore)

#30 ·
I struggled with my weight for many many years. I've lost and kept off 80 pounds for over a year now. Things got a lot easier when I completely gave up on the notion of ever eating dry cereal, obvious sugar, or bread. If I don't have ANY of those foods, I don't have to worry about how much I have. The trick for me was identifying the foods that I had a faulty "enough already" switch for, and completely eliminating them.

Not just a little, not just a bite, no cheat day. No weighing and measuring them to restrict them. These are foods I no longer eat, period.

I do eat fruits, dairy, and starchy veggies. I eat whole grains (like sugar-free Oatmeal). I get plenty of carbohydrates. I do not eat anything with any name for sugar in the first 3 ingredients.

The first 2 weeks off refined sugar were hell. Sugar withdrawal is not a joke. I felt like ****. Anxious, uncomfortable, grouchy, angry, frustrated. After that it got MUCH better. I'd say after 3 months or so I no longer craved sugar and bread. Occasionally I will wish I could have them, but the craving passes if I don't endulge it. Once I "go there" I get to start all over again with the cravings and withdrawal.

It's not worth it. It's just food. If my body doesn't need it for nutrition, then I'm eating it for the wrong reason. I couldn't find a good reason to eat the foods that made me want more and more of the same.

Be wary of packaged, highly processed foods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.