Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard the holes in this helmet create a zone of negative turbulence which should increase my average speed by a factor of .003. If I took a dremel to one of my other helmets, do you think I could achieve a similar advantage? By what factor would you guess? I'm also thinking of drilling holes in my frame to create a similar effect.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I like the way you think. Maybe you should drill out your tires while you're at it?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
For us to correctly answer your multiple queries you have to quantify your current speed at both max and normal effort in a vacuum vrs. your speed sea level and at altitude (please specify the altitude). Then compare your speed with and without your head attached.

Only with this vital data can we begin to calculate your no doubt impressive speed gain with the subject helmet.

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
Assuming your physics is even accurate (which it isn't. Physicist staring you in the face.), let's just see how "substantial" this would be.

My average riding speed: 23mph. 23 * 1.003 = 23.069. Wow, I'll definitely be breaking some records with this helmet.

I actually happen to own a Catlike Whisper Plus, but it isn't for aero benefits. I like the look of it, and it has really good air flow to the scalp.

·
Shirtcocker
60,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming your physics is even accurate (which it isn't. Physicist staring you in the face.), let's just see how "substantial" this would be.

My average riding speed: 23mph. 23 * 1.003 = 23.069. Wow, I'll definitely be breaking some records with this helmet.

I actually happen to own a Catlike Whisper Plus, but it isn't for aero benefits. I like the look of it, and it has really good air flow to the scalp.
No way! I spent all day calculating the difference!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I know everyone is joking here, but in my opinion, riding with this helmet will increase your speed by a significant amount. The carbon fiber technology combined with the drilled-hole technology will improve speed dramatically.

Make sure you are also riding with a low-weight carbon fiber bike as the synergistic effect will truly reveal itself on the climbs.

However, don't forget to ride with lights, reflectors, and a bell. The helmet, although helpful is not illegal if you don't wear one. The other items are required by law so use them.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The fact that it's the ugliest helmet in the world should make you faster, just so you can escape the laughter of your peers...
Win.

I have always thought that is a seriously ugly bit of kit. I have a female friend who has one so I keep my mouth shut most of the time...but damn, that thing is ugly.

To the OP....a +.003 factor should result in some serious speed. Just watch out when that crap hits 88 mph...you may just find yourself 30 years in the past.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
When I squint a little it looks like a golf ball.

Mythbusters proved that golfball dimples give you less wind resistance for better gas mileage so yeah, I can see 0.069mph faster.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I just googled them and the prices start at $180. Okay

With my bald head that helmet would make the weirdest and ugliest sunburn pattern possible.
When I took it off it would look like I was still wearing it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.