Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you expect to pay for this? I am building this bike and I am curious as to what it would be worth,

All parts are new except for the hubs.

Aluminum frame - Quality frame, but has no name on it
Crank - FSA Gossamer 50-39-30 w/ MegaExo BB
Front Derailleur - Shimano LX M581A
Rear Derailleur - Shimano LX RD-M580
Cassette - SRAM PG950
Chain - Shimano HG-53
Handle Bar Stem - FSA OS 115
Handlebar - Easton EA30
Fork - Martec Carbon/Aluminum Cross Fork
Seat Post - Cadence Carbon fiber
Rear Hub - Shimano Ultegra FH-6402
Front Hub - Shimano 600
Rims - Mavic A117
Spokes - DT Stainless
Headset - Cane Creek IS-2i
Brakes - Avid Single Digit 7
Wellgo 888 Alloy Quill Pedals
Shifters / Brake Levers - Shimano LX ST-M580

Thanks for the info.
Ian

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I go into stores and see bikes for about $600-$700 and they have Alivio and Altus components. I have never seen a $500 dollar bike with a carbon fiber fork or seat post, or LX components.

I was just looking around, so I don't really need anymore info, as I found what I was looking for, but thank you anyway.

I have been looking at Rockey Mountain bikes and here is an example of one of their bikes. Some of the same components, mostly lesser quality and it sells for $1499. Go figure.
http://www.simonsbikeshop.com/Robson_Shop/2005/rc-70.htm

Frame - Easton 7005 Elite Aluminum
Frame Weight - 1.5 kg / 3.3 lb (54cm)
Fork - RMB Alloy Trekking
Head Set - FSA Intellaset
Stem - Easton
Handlebar - Easton Flatbar
Brakes - Hayes Sole
Brake Levers - Hayes Sole
Shifters - Shimano SLR440
Gearing (RR/FR) - Shimano XT / R443
Cranks & Chainrings - FSA Gossamer Triple
Bottom Bracket - FSA ISIS
Pedals - Shimano M520
Hubs (RR/FR) - Shimano M525
Cog-Set - Shimano Deore 9 Spd
Chain - Shimano HG53-9
Spokes - DT Champion
Rims - Mavic CXP 22S
Tires (RR/FR) - Maxxis Detonator 700 x 25C
Seat Post - Easton
Saddle - Selle Italia Fokus

·
Registered
798 Posts
I live in Ohio . I too go to bike shops all the time. On MANY occasions I have found bikes for around that price with similar specs as the ones above and yes with a carbon fork and carbon seat post .
You have to understand ,they were clearance bikes or deeply discounted . Which would have made the components a bit older . It seems you have a parts list that has items that are old stock ,so yes imo,you could find a bike like that for $500.
As far as the alivio and altus component for 600-700 . I see bikes all the time and I do stress all the time ,with Tiagra/sora components for that price .

·
Registered
798 Posts
That's fine, I was just letting you know that around where I live, you can find bikes like that for much cheaper than it seems you think . The bike you showed me for 1499, there is no way I would pay that for that bike. But to each there own .
Not to be rude but it sems that you want to feel like you have built up a bike for much less than retail and you have but imo not as much as I think you wanted to hear.

w98seeng said:
I go into stores and see bikes for about $600-$700 and they have Alivio and Altus components. I have never seen a $500 dollar bike with a carbon fiber fork or seat post, or LX components.

I was just looking around, so I don't really need anymore info, as I found what I was looking for, but thank you anyway.

I have been looking at Rockey Mountain bikes and here is an example of one of their bikes. Some of the same components, mostly lesser quality and it sells for $1499. Go figure.
http://www.simonsbikeshop.com/Robson_Shop/2005/rc-70.htm

Frame - Easton 7005 Elite Aluminum
Frame Weight - 1.5 kg / 3.3 lb (54cm)
Fork - RMB Alloy Trekking
Head Set - FSA Intellaset
Stem - Easton
Handlebar - Easton Flatbar
Brakes - Hayes Sole
Brake Levers - Hayes Sole
Shifters - Shimano SLR440
Gearing (RR/FR) - Shimano XT / R443
Cranks & Chainrings - FSA Gossamer Triple
Bottom Bracket - FSA ISIS
Pedals - Shimano M520
Hubs (RR/FR) - Shimano M525
Cog-Set - Shimano Deore 9 Spd
Chain - Shimano HG53-9
Spokes - DT Champion
Rims - Mavic CXP 22S
Tires (RR/FR) - Maxxis Detonator 700 x 25C
Seat Post - Easton
Saddle - Selle Italia Fokus

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikes sell for a lot less in the states than they do here I guess. Like many things, we pay more. Lucky you.

And, I know I am paying more by building it up myself, but it's an enjoyable thing for me. I have never done it before, and I will probably never do it again, but it was fun while it lasted. Searching eBay and the rest of the internet for pricing, trying to get the best deal, finding the best part for the money and finding the best shipping rates was fun.

I will enjoy assembling the bike, weaving the wheels and taping the handlebar, or putting on the grips, not too sure yet. I will also enjoy riding the bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, I did "luck into some deals". I got the aluminum frame for $20, the new FSA Gossamer triple with MegaExo BB for $60 and the LX shifter/levers for $59, but it's still an expensive proposition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.