Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried quite a few and now believe I like a flatter type saddle.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Many thousands of dollars. Scores of saddles. Out of them all there's less than a handful that work even remotely well for me.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
funnt thing happened to me, I bought a medium quality Diamondback mountain bike for a friend and replaced the stock saddle for him to a softer one.

I then took the stock Diamondback saddle and threw it on a new build I did thinking it would be ok temporarily.

well, I ended up really liking it.

I also like the PROLOGO CPC Zero II Tirox saddles a lot.

This is the Diamond back I like...

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Maybe a couple of hundred. When I did my last saddle quest I was buying saddles on ebay, sometimes used, to try and then selling the ones I didn't like. So I didn't spend a whole lot on the saddles I tried and ruled out. Currently I am using a Terry Fly Ti on all 5 bikes. These have gotten really expensive so I'd be happy to find a cheaper alternative

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Not much. I used a turbo or Avocet back in the 80's and early 90's. Switched to a Concor mid-90's and still using them. They last about 3 years. I try to keep 2 -3 in reserve for my 3 bikes. Once you find a saddle that works, buy a bunch and don't try every new saddle that comes out.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Here ya go, $35., all the saddle you'd ever want. They're actually still making it.

Selle Italia Turbo Saddle | Chain Reaction Cycles
That is actually a saddle that I don't much like, and I really can't say why. I've used the Concor forever and have had an old Turbo that I have tried numerous times over the years and it has always been removed for a Concor.

When I got fit for my current bike I tried a Brooks C-17 Cambium and have been quite happy with it.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Really almost nothing. I've bought buckets o' bikes however and picked what I've liked out of the saddles that came with them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Been through quite a few saddles over the years, always seen to develop some discomfort.Just put a new Fizik Kurve Chameleon on my bike this evening, will ride it on the trainer to see how it feels before trying it outside in the spring. It felt a bit firm from just sitting it in jeans, first ride on Tuesday. The saddle I have been riding is an Ergon SMC3,it's a Mt. bike saddle but works well on my road bike, at least on the trainer, riding a 155mm, great saddle. If the Fizik doesn't work out I think I'm going to try a custom Meld saddle, they loo pretty cool! https://www.meld3d.com

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
One advantage to having a wide ass.... Once I got over the sticker shock of my first B-17, I haven't looked back.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Never bought a "bad" saddle. I used a Turbo for years, but it was pretty heavy and I wore the dye off the leather. I then went with a Rolls until the rails broke. Went with two 90's Flite gels, then a 90's standard Flite. When I finally wore the cover off of it, I went back with a Rolls (until the rails broke), and now I'm using a skinny Rolls Due that I've had sitting around for 15-20 years.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did it right the first time during the bike fit. Found out that I rode saddles that were too narrow for 18 years($298).

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
Wow. I think a lot of people here would benefit from knowing the width of their sit bones. Or at the very least, knowing the width of a comfortable saddle they own.

I have never bought a saddle that did not work for me. But then I measure width myself in person, take a good look at the way it is designed (more flat or curved matters not just the width), and I have no desire to save weight on a saddle (or shoes for that matter).

I have ruled out many a saddle because they are too narrow, or too wide, or unpadded, or too padded, or too curved, or...

All of that applies to non-Brooks, btw. Road bikes for me, for a long time, have had Brooks. Still applies to mtb saddles though.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My last saddle purchase cost me around 15K...
sort of went like this
tried 8 to 10 saddles over a couple of months and ended up doing a full bike fit because I couldn't quite get it right, which eventually led to buying a new S-Works, new wheels, another new gravel bike, new wheels, accessories etc...

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Wow. I think a lot of people here would benefit from knowing the width of their sit bones. Or at the very least, knowing the width of a comfortable saddle they own.

I have never bought a saddle that did not work for me. But then I measure width myself in person, take a good look at the way it is designed (more flat or curved matters not just the width), and I have no desire to save weight on a saddle (or shoes for that matter).

I have ruled out many a saddle because they are too narrow, or too wide, or unpadded, or too padded, or too curved, or...

All of that applies to non-Brooks, btw. Road bikes for me, for a long time, have had Brooks. Still applies to mtb saddles though.
I have had lots of saddles I hated (passionately). Yes, once you have an idea of the width of your sit bones, flat vs curved, and general shape that works for you its easier to find saddle that works. For me, getting to that point was a multi-month trial and error. Its easier if you have two bikes so that you can use for the experimentation

1 - 20 of 65 Posts