Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its an Araya Semi- Pro. Hi-Ten frame. Shimano SF dropouts. Has shimano 600 front derailleur. Suntour Fuji VX rear derailleur. Shimano 600 brake calipers and brake levers. Tagaki Touney cranks. SR handlebars, stem, and seatpost. Shimano fingertip barend shifters. Rear wheel is an Araya 27x 1 1/4 wheel laced to a shimano hub. Front wheels is a generic hub with Alex rim because I tacoed the front wheel. I'd like to know how much this is worth without the saddle. Some chipped paint.

I'll try to upload pics later. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Parts worth more than the whole

cannotaim said:
Its an Araya Semi- Pro. Hi-Ten frame. Shimano SF dropouts. Has shimano 600 front derailleur. Suntour Fuji VX rear derailleur. Shimano 600 brake calipers and brake levers. Tagaki Touney cranks. SR handlebars, stem, and seatpost. Shimano fingertip barend shifters. Rear wheel is an Araya 27x 1 1/4 wheel laced to a shimano hub. Front wheels is a generic hub with Alex rim because I tacoed the front wheel. I'd like to know how much this is worth without the saddle. Some chipped paint.

I'll try to upload pics later. Thanks for your time.
Parts worth more than the whole, otherwise 100 bucks...sorry. For $200more one can get a pretty good bike. Not a club racer, but a pretty good parkway bike. Used bikes really depreciate, unless they are very high-end or classics. One of the local pro shops sells consignment bikes, and they have some Serotta titianium bikes with Record components for $6000, buts that's an exception. Also your's has too many parts and the wheels aren't great either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm disappointed. I got this for 300 a couple months ago at a used bike shop. Should I convert it to fixed?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Keep frame and convert to fixed...best option

cannotaim said:
I'm disappointed. I got this for 300 a couple months ago at a used bike shop. Should I convert it to fixed?
=================================================================

The sellers must have thought it was something special to ask $300, Maybe the frame is, but not the brakes and deraileurs.

I like the frame...pretty. It has so many odd components, none of which are top of the line. So...I would keep the frame and convert to fixed...best option The non-horizontal dropouts and finding the right chainwheel/cog combo is always tricky on a road bike.

I converted my Klein to fixed a couple of times, and it wasn't fun trying to find the right combo of parts. This was back when single speed/fixed were very rare. Occasionally you'd see a cyclist training on a track bike in the spring, but nothing more.

-Bill
2006 model 1885 Bianchi in Celeste
20+ year old Klein in Very Fast Red
2010 Bianchi San Jose in British Racing Green

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
cannotaim said:
I think I'll try to get see if anyone will bite for 300 on craigslist. If not, I'll convert it.
Keep the frame (while hi-ten as opposed to chromoly, it does appear to have nice lugwork and the typical quality of Japanese frames from that era) and the saddle (a Brooks no less)and convert it. I seriously doubt you'll get $300 on CL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Richard said:
Keep the frame (while hi-ten as opposed to chromoly, it does appear to have nice lugwork and the typical quality of Japanese frames from that era) and the saddle (a Brooks no less)and convert it. I seriously doubt you'll get $300 on CL.
I'll try and see if anyone buys. If not, I'll convert it. And I know its a Brooks, I wanted to know the value without it. Its a B-17.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you want 300 for the bike, sell the brooks with it

A B-17 sells for around 90 bucks brand new. If it came with the bike when you bought it then I would try to sell with the bike to get the most out of it.
Without the Brooks it looks like a plain jane $50 bike. With the Brooks it looks closer to a $150 city bike.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
orbeamike said:
A B-17 sells for around 90 bucks brand new. If it came with the bike when you bought it then I would try to sell with the bike to get the most out of it.
Without the Brooks it looks like a plain jane $50 bike. With the Brooks it looks closer to a $150 city bike.

with the brooks it looks like a $50 bike with a nice saddle

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It's a touring bike, IMHO they are worth less than race bikes.

25 bucks.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Hooben said:
It's a touring bike, IMHO they are worth less than race bikes.

25 bucks.

how do you figure? bar ends? no cantis, no triple, no rack mounts, chainstays don't look that long. nope

1 - 17 of 17 Posts