Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new roadie, mostly commuting (28 miles a day) but doing "serious" rides (Malibu canyons) on the weekend. I usually ride 4 days a week (3 commutes, 1 weekend).

How much apparel and what not do you folks have for your riding? I'm interested to see how many jerseys and shorts the RBR readers have. Since good kit cost so much I want to have as much as is useful but not much more.

Secondary question; does it makes sense to have 2 pair of cycling shoes? As a runner it's best to keep 2 or 3 pair in active rotation so they dry out properly and the midsole foam can rest and get back its bounce. (It's actually cheaper since two pairs will last more than twice as long as one pair worn all the time). Does this make any sense for road cleats?

Right now I have two pair of bib shorts in rotation (3rd on the way) and three jerseys. I just got some Penguin sport wash at REI so I can hand wash stuff and not have to pay at the laundromat. I'm in SoCal so weather is really consistent and dry, so stuff doesn't get dirty really fast from either rain or sweat.

Thanks in advance for your experiences!

·
Registered
21,579 Posts
Shoes and clothes

AceyMan said:
How much apparel and what not do you folks have for your riding? I'm interested to see how many jerseys and shorts the RBR readers have. Since good kit cost so much I want to have as much as is useful but not much more.

Secondary question; does it makes sense to have 2 pair of cycling shoes? As a runner it's best to keep 2 or 3 pair in active rotation so they dry out properly and the midsole foam can rest and get back its bounce. (It's actually cheaper since two pairs will last more than twice as long as one pair worn all the time). Does this make any sense for road cleats?
If you hand wash your clothes, then you only need one set. Most people have more than that. The more stuff you have, the slower any given item will wear out, but it's really a matter of how much you want to spend and how much variety you want. Watch for clearance sales and you can accumulate a nice wardrobe over a year or two.

No need for multiple pairs of shoes. The footbed is not really compressing, and you don't flex a cycling shoe like a running shoe. As long as you store your shoes someplace dry, they will easily dry completely from one ride to the next, and even if they don't it's no big deal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had just one pair of shorts and two jerseys for a long time. It worked fine, over time though I've gotten more bibs and shorts. Usually I'll find some on sale and try out a new brand to see if I like them. I've also gotten more shirts when I find one I like. cant have too many! But you only really need one or two.

And no you don't need two sets of shoes. There are a lot of riders that will run MTB pedals on their road bike so they can use the same shoes on both their road and mountain bike. Like kerry said above their not like running shoes, if they do get soaked just pull the sole out and let it air dry.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
If you hand wash your clothes, then you only need one set. Most people have more than that. The more stuff you have, the slower any given item will wear out, but it's really a matter of how much you want to spend and how much variety you want. Watch for clearance sales and you can accumulate a nice wardrobe over a year or two.

prob want at least 2 pair shorts/bibs, so they can dry completely after washing... clammy chamois = no fun, and a wet one is even worse for the bum

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have five jerseys and five pairs of bibs/shorts though I don't ever wear one pair of shorts unless I forget to wash stuff. This way I only have to wash stuff once a week or so.

I used to only have two pair of jerseys and bibs/shorts, but I recently got a lot of stuff from the consumer show at the Hotter'n Hell Hundred for half price. Just look for stuff on sale and buy stuff as you can.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I have different kit for different purposes. I commute (35-40 miles/day) 3-4 days a week and train/ride another 2-3 days. I can't always wash the kit and have it dry before the next day, so I rotate several sets. I just replaced most of my kit, as I lost weight and the bibs were starting to chafe and cause saddle sores. While I was swapping things out, I tried some new brands and splurged on some og the "good stuff".

For racing (especially stage races), I have 3 dedicated sets of bibs/jerseys. These are all race-cut.

For training and commuting, I have 4 dedicated sets of bibs/jerseys. The jerseys are race cut, while the bibs are slightly more comfortable (Rapha and Assos) for longer rides.

For cold weather, I have what amounts to another 3 sets of kit, plus various pieces of clothing to add as conditions warrant.

I have three pairs of shoes. One is set up for my racing and commuting bikes. Another is set up for my TT bike (different cleat placement). The third pair is for my mountain bike (SPD MTB cleats).

Good kit does not have to cost a "fortune" (relative term). Find a pair of shorts/bibs that work for you and buy others when the sales hit. eBay has its moments. Likewise with the jerseys. If you're doing 1 distance (over 50 mile) ride a week, a upper-line short/bib might make sense. For me, investing in good kit helps ensure a ride won't be ruined by poor fit or construction. Ruining a ride is my job.

·
Registered
614 Posts
14 kits
2 Winter Jackets
2 Gillets
2 Pair Full Length Thermal Bibs
2 Pairs Arm Warmers
1 Pair Knee Warmers
1 Pair Leg Warmers
1 Pair of Shoes in use
2 Helmets...one for just incase.
3 Pairs of Winter Gloves
3 Pair of Summer...Spring Mornings

I try to stock up so I can go away for a few weeks at a time and not worry bout the washing, then I can do a big load all together on delicate cycle. I also avoid putting them in my dryer as it has teeth, so they take longer to dry!!!

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
I too have enough cycling wear that I wash it as a separate load. I've acquired it all over the past four seasons, a little at a time.

• Commuting wear: six jerseys, six shorts, for a four-day work week.
  • Weekend warrior: six jerseys, two shorts
  • Three-season shoes: one pair, two sets of booties.
  • Other: two pairs of half-finger gloves, two helmets (one with a visor for rainy commutes), two cycling skullcaps, one cycling jacket
  • Winter wear: four long-sleeved jerseys, four baselayer tops, two pairs mid-weight windfront bib tights, two pairs insulated windfront bib tights, two pairs of windfront gloves, one pair standard gloves (to wear inside the larger pair of windfronts), one pair lobster gloves, two winter skullcaps, two balaclavas, one pair of Lake MXZ-302 winter cycling boots.
  • Tween seasons: two pair armwarmers, two pair kneewarmers
  • Shopping/errands: one pair MTB style shorts with pockets, three wicking t-shirts

I've always been something of a clotheshorse.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I started with two kits and have added over time. My preference has been to add quality pieces slowly rather than simply go for quantity.

As others have pointed out, if you look carefully, you can find deals. I find that looking for winter things in the spring and summer things in the fall saves quite a bit.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The longer you ride, and the number of clubs/teams/etc. you ride/race for will add to your "kit list".
My normal "warm weather" rotation has 3 jerseys and 7 pair of bibs in the rotation.
I'd rather not inventory my total kit...suffice it to say I could open a used clothing store with my gear alone.
Some stuff is out of rotation because I am no longer 130lbs hehehe, other kit is out because they are more memorabilia...race win, crash, other special event.
Generally kit never, or after a long time...or one crash lol...wears out and we hate to get rid of stuff.

·
9,790 Posts
I have far too many bibs and jerseys for my skill level. I haven't counted in a while, and don't want to, but I think I could probably go 2 weeks during the summer without washing anything or wearing anything twice. Probably 1 week for the winter.

4 pairs of shoes, each with different cleats. (I try to only sell what I've actually tried; so I try as much as possible.)

3 helmets. Just because.

20+ pairs of gloves. Finally decided on Assos; so the others don't get used.

20 or so cycling caps. I don't wear a helmet all the time. Sometimes I wear a cap and a helmet. I'm a hat-***** anyway.

140+ pairs of cycling socks. I go beyond sock-***** into OCD Land. Every shop I've worked for, every bike brand I've ever owned (almost), every Hilly Hundred I've ridden, and many others that just amused me or were on sale.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In 21 years of road cycling, I've accumulated at least 2 dozen jerseys, but probably wear 15 in regular rotation. Some are larger so I wear them in fall/winter over a base layer. Tight fitting ones only in the peak of the season. Three pairs of shoes, but only wear one pair regularly. I probably have a dozen bibs - recently started going for quality over quantity, as cheaper ones just don't last.

I buy new gloves every year, but have 3-4 old ones lying around that still get use. Base layers, tights, arm & leg warmers, cool/cold weather gloves - 3-4 sets. Pick up new pieces on sale.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
I would start out with 2 kits then get to three depending on your riding frequency and go from here. If you are already at optima weight and you know you will continue to ride a lot then feel free to get more. I like to get a new kit on vacations. I have had to replace most of my original purchases due to sizing down and preferring the race fit rather than club fit.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
5 bib shorts
3 knickers of varing thickness, thin to thermal (essential wear for Colorado)
2 bib tights, thin and thermal
8 or so SS jerseys that I wear, dozens that are stored away. 1 is wool.
3 LS jerseys of varing thickness, thin to thermal
2 vests, one thin, one thermal
1 thin rain jacket
1 thin wind jacket
1 thermal jacket
2 pair shoes
All the misc. crap: warmers, booties, sock covers, thick/thin socks, multiple versions of gloves, etc.....

I pretty much can kit up for any weather, any length of ride so I don't really rotate gear, just dress for each day as it comes.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
2 pair of shorts, 3 jerseys, 1 bib tights, 1 jacket, 1 pair of shoes.

I though I was over consuming, but after reading this thread I feel downright frugal bordering on deprived.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Oh god.

Current club kit:
2 bibshorts
1 ss jersey
1 ls jersey (summer)
1 windwest
1 pr summer shoe covers (bling!)
1 pr arm warmers
1 pr summer gloves
1 pr winter gloves
4 pr socks

Il reste:
1 pr shoes
1 helmet
1 pr full finger summer gloves (HTFU, kbwh)
1 pr winter shoe covers
3 cycling caps (Campagnlo, Bianchi and Bianchi...)
1 pr knee warmers
1 pr leg warmers
1 pr arm warmers (wrong colour...)
1 pr winter bibs
1 pr foul weather bibs
A truckload of undervests.
1 pr winter gloves
1 windproof underhelmet hat

Recently shipped off a bunch of old stuff for the bike markets on the gold coast.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
2 pair of shorts, 3 jerseys, 1 bib tights, 1 jacket, 1 pair of shoes.

I though I was over consuming, but after reading this thread I feel downright frugal bordering on deprived.
Over consuming? That's a downright unamerican concept. I think I'll go to 7-11 and get a Biggie size something just to compensate.

·
Registered
586 Posts
9 pair of shorts and bibs, 10 jerseys, 1 tights, 3 jacket, 2 pair of shoes, 2 helmets.

I never intended on having so much gear, it just keeps coming.

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
I have too many to count and more than I will ever need plus 2 pair of MTB shoes, 2 pairs of road shoes and 4 helmets.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts